348 Tool Kit - question about OE | FerrariChat

348 Tool Kit - question about OE

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a few items missing in mine, namely the spark plug socket and its extension.

The universal is by KRAFTWERK tools, and the perfect fitting ratchet that I sourced as well.

Anyone have a complete kit that has KRAFTWERK? My guess is that the USAG socket is too big for the tray's impression. Also, 16mm internal as well?

I'm shooting for the correct OE pieces... I have other tools for doing actual work.

In addition, my spanners are all from KVRAM.

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Complete tool kit for '92 here, however the tray layout is different from yours. USAG for the universal, extension, socket, and ratchet. Nothing Kraftwerk. Wrenches and pliers are KRAVM.

3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes, same here on all counts.

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Feb 14, 2017
  5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Feb 14, 2017
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    KRAFTWERK is a Swiss company, so does any owners in the EU (or elsewhere) have these tools in their 348 kits?

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bump for info... still looking for the correct spark plug socket and extension.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Early '89 with the flat case as quoted above. Interesting the variations you have pictured.

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bump... I'm still looking for the correct (Kraftwerk) spark plug socket and extension for my kit.

10. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Never seen Kraftwerk stuff in my kits. I truly believe Ferrari never put these is their kits. But you never know. I do have both correct USAG items available. I can sent pics if you like.

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks, but I'm thinking that other than Kraftwerk items may not fit precisely. For example, only the Kraftwerk ratchet has the handle that fit in the tray. Fits like a glove.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    vdettore likes this.
  13. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    If you are showing your car at Ferrari Concorso in Pasadena and have the tool kit does it help if you open up the kit for the judges to see

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Only if the judges ask. However, if your kit is superb and you're neck and neck with another contestant then displaying it could improve the wow factor.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Apr 26, 2017
  16. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #16 Pangea, Apr 26, 2017
  17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    FWIW, and not that it's any help to Wade, but my late '91 U.S. tool kit looks the same as yours except for the headlamp bulbs since the U.S. models are fitted with different headlamps.

USAG ratchet, socket, etc. Kravm (also marked "Ferrari") wrenches and pliers. "Ferrari" marked (but otherwise unbranded) screwdrivers.

Interesting how many variations of the tool kit Maranello supplied over the years. And presumably there were at least two different versions of the lamp trays used in each version of the tool kit. No wonder it's not easy to find replacement pieces.

As an aside, a member here told me he has a set of pliers that look to be appropriate to our cars if anyone needs them. I forget what he wanted for them but it was fairly reasonable as these things go.

18. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    I've started bringing in USAG directly from the factory although a lot of the classic items from 15+ years ago are probably no longer available. If anyone needs any help tracking down any items for their tool sets, I can likely get some assistance from my counterpart in Italy.

19. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    If you could get the screw drivers with the Ferrari name on them I am sure a number of us would be interested. Seems they are the tools that are usually not in the best shape.

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I hve an extra black handled flat blade screwdriver I was going to list. I think it came from a 355 kit but I also see some 348 kits had black handles instead of the translucent reddish color.

21. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Steve helped me out years ago. Good guy.

22. chris_gilmartin

chris_gilmartin Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Hi, I'm wondering if you ever found your missing tool kit pieces? I have exactly the same KRAFTWERK tool kit as you do
    and I also miss a few pieces, so I checked the latest KRAFTWERK catalogue https://www.kraftwerktools.com/files/files/support/catalog/GeneralCollectionEnEsPt.pdf

My spark plug socket does fit the tray properly, therefore probably original, and is marked 'KRAFTWERK 16mm 201160'. It looks like this is still available, search for 201160 in the catalogue. It might not be exactly the same cosmetically but it appears to be the same size/number./manufacturer as far as I can tell.

My universal joint (unmarked) and 3/8" extension bar (marked 'USAG') and do not fit in my toolkit tray properly, so I am looking for original items.

The universal joint seems to be KRAFTWERK number 210000 so I will order this and see if it fits in my tray.

The 3/8" extension bar does not seem to be available, I have emailed KRAFTWERK to see if they can help with this

I am also missing the largest spanner (CHROM VANADIUM KRAVM 18/19mm) which I think I can get from ebay, unless anyone has one available?

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No, not yet. I do recall someone mentioning recently their kit with the KRAFTWERK ratchet had a USAG extension and spark plus socket, and both fit correctly.

Thanks for the input and let me know if you get the right pieces.

24. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    many Ferrari tool kits of this era had KRAFTWERK ratchets, also many kits had the USAG ratchet - I have never found a defining timeline or change over.
    Your Kraftwerk ratchet is totally correct for this tool set, but you will find that the UJ, extension and spark plug socket are all USAG regardless which brand your ratchet is.
    I have seen this in several original kits.

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's great to know, thanks. The USAG items are much easier to find.