348 TS rear window removal | FerrariChat

348 TS rear window removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by mj_duell, Jan 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys,
    this will be my first post regarding a repair. The rear window on my TS is cracked in a few places. this was caused by the installation of some sort of through the glass antenna. I have a lexan window which came with the car that I want to use as a replacement. I have looked over the window and done a few searches here to findout how it is removed and what tools I may need. Have any of you done this before?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    "Through the glass antenna"..... are you sure? Someone tried to drill a hole through the original laminated rear window? That's nuts. You can get adhesive-backed glass mounted antennas that work just fine, and you can mount regular antennas in any number of places, and the front windscreen on later-model 348's has a radio antenna built in to the glass - why ruin the rear window?

Of course all 348's (except the Spider) have a defroster grid sandwiched between the layers of glass on the rear window, you'll lose that on a Lexan window. Any many 348 rear windows show signs of delamination.

Sorry I don't know the steps in removing the rear glass, but it should be pretty straightforward

3. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 mj_duell, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thats what it looks like. I also noticed a very large wire going toward the roof under the rubber. Possible that did instead, either way 1/2 ass job. You should have seen the wire they ran under the dash to the cig. lighter so they would be able to charge their cell phone. You actually had to plug into the lighter with the dangling end to get it to work. 3 minutes with wire cutters and that was solved. Camera phone pics attached of the rear window.

--Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    I think you will find that the antenna is simply stuck on either side with mirror tape and there isn't a central hole.
    Removal of the rear window entails stripping the rear interior & taking the window out from inside - not the conventional way.
    If you require any detailed info then let me know & I'll post a step by step guide.
    Best wishes, Al.

5. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Al, detailed instructions on removal and installation would be great. I'm going to start work on this in the next day or two. The reason I think they drilled through the glass is that there is a screw in the center if the mount. I figured that it had to pass through the glass. If it is there just to tighten the mount down, well I guess that makes sense too. Any special considerations with plexiglass during installation?

--Mike

6. alsaautomotive

alsaautomotive Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Wales, UK.
    Full Name:
    Al
    No worries, I'll set a step by step guide out tomorrow (if no-one beats me to it:)) with my glass fitter.
    With the plexi glass, the only thing I'd say is keep your working envoironment warm & it'll be much less likely to fracture.

7. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you very much. Making the garage warm will be my first project then.

--Mike

8. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys, anyone know how to remove the surrounds behind the seats so I can get to the window? I found out where the sides are riveted under the door moulding, but still no idea on how to take the pieces out. I have search the shop manual .pdf's as well with no luck.

--Mike

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hit up fatbillybob.

10. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #10 gidge348, Feb 12, 2009
    If you are talking about the long centre piece, there are 2 small (8mm?) nuts hidden between the radiator pipes in the engine bay that hold this on, sorry do not know about the outter pieces off but the middle definetly comes out first so make make sense then.

11. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fan-freakin-tastic! I have been looking at this part removal like it was a door panel. I figured it was attached by those little plastic retainers. I know exactly where those bolts are. Thank You very much!

--Mike

12. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    O.K, I have the rear surrounds off (Thanks gidge348, yes 8mm it was) and now I need to remove the roof pieces. I found the retainers at the rear toward the engine bay, but the front part near the roof panel is eluding me. One other thing, I was looking at the outer trim pieces around the rear window, are you guys sure that the window is removed through the interior? It looks more like you remove the trim on the outside in front of the engine lid and then take the window out that way. Any ideas? Oh and now that I'm tearing everything down I have decided to paint that outer trim, re-dye my carpets, clean and fix my interior leather, I found one fuel leak on the fuel return line fitting on the left bank, I am going to pull the plenum because I can't get to my coolant hose leak, I need to pull the left inner fender to check the fuell fill hose, I'm Stabilant 22ing every connection I find bog or small. ..... It seems like just replacing the window has made this project grow a little more ;). So while I'm in these places any ideas on other things I should do or look out for?

Thanks,

Mike

13. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hey Mike from the sound of the crap-tastic job they did on the cell phone hook up this could be a cell phone signal repeater (amplifier). These were a hit in the early 90's to car audio guys but they were quickly replaced by better signal and tower service. Have you pulled the stereo to see if indeed this connects to it? I never assume anthing if someone else has been "dabbling" around.

Brian

14. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Glad to help.

Mine is a TB not a TS so the roof is different, but this may give some idea's?
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/078/Large/078_110A.gif

15. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The back window is out now and I am tracing that wire. I have an XM radio antenna too, keeping that. Seems like it installation was a rush job, so I'm going to gut the rest and clean it up. Man did I have fun removing that rear window. I gave it a good pull and it shattered even more and send glass all over the cockpit. The old safety glass laminate failled after all these years. The glass drops right off the plastic. I'm glad I am replacing it with Lexan. Thanks again for all the help guys. I really love this forum.

--Mike

16. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  17. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Guys,
    Just managed to get the Challenge rear window into the TS, by myself I might add. This was only possible because I read a post on the 308/328 forum from a member named "pad". He described the "rope trick" which I must say works like a charm for installing the rear window and molding. I must also thank the members who helped me with removal of all the rear interior pieces so I could get the window out. I will of course be more than happy to help any members who want to do this swap. I only have one thing left to do and that is seal the window. I'm not sure what to use. I want something that will clean-up well and not smear the Lexan, I was thinking RTV. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them. I reused the old moulding andit has a few small rips, nothing big, but I would like to seal them down good. Oh, and one other thing. Does anyone know how to remove the luggage bar than holds the carpet down and runs across the front of the parcel shelf?

Thanks,

Mike

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Regarding your last question: I may be wrong about this, I haven't done it in years, but it seems to me that you have to remove the cover panels for the Motronic ECU's behind the seats, then take a small Phillips screwdriver and reach upward to undo a couple of screws that hold the trim piece in place. They aren't easy to find.

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Thinking about this again, I think there are 2 threaded studs on the underside of the trim bar, and you have to remove small (6mm or 7mm?) nuts from inside the top of the Motronic compartments. You might need a small mirror to find them, then you have to remove them by feel, because you can't see what you're doing.

20. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! I purchased a dental mirror years ago for this type of work. It was a great tool for finding the 7mm nuts that hold down the rear outer window trim. I have fat fingers so I see this is going to be fun. I will probably not completely remove the nuts, I just need to get the carpet out.

--Mike

21. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #21 mj_duell, Mar 1, 2009
  22. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #22 saw1998, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    Great job!

Before you remove the surrounds to re-paint, it looks like you have quite a bit of dried wax build-up. Try to use Griot's Garage wax remover, followed by Mother's Back-to-Black. After the BTB dries for at least 24 hours put a tiny amount of mineral oil on an applicator pad and gently rub into the surface, let it sit for 30 min, and then buff with a soft cloth. If there are no scratches or really worn paint areas, it will look better than new.

The Griot's wax remover is great stuff for removing wax in those impossible to reach areas (e.g., on rear/engine grills, etc.) without damaging the paint or finish on the black part. Try it, you'll like it.

23. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you very much. The rear engine cover is a mess with wax. I was wondering how to do this!

--Mike

24. TomDi

TomDi Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    DIDIER Thomas
    Hi Mike,

My rear window got cracked as well and I'm looking forward to making it replaced.
    Problem is, it's really hard to find someone who has done it before and is not afraid to do it...
    I'd just like to know how the window is sealed. Is it glued like the windshield or just pinched between the seals ?
    Besides I can see how to remove the surrounds inside and outside to get to the seals but then I'm stuck ?
    Would you explain it to me please ?
    Thank you so much

Thomas