348 vapor canister purge valve removal | Page 4 | FerrariChat

348 vapor canister purge valve removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Apr 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #76 randyleepublic, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    I don't think that would be a very good idea. An inline gas filter only has an inlet and an outlet. So the tank's vent line would simply run from the tank through the turn over valve to the inline gas filter and thence to the solenoid valve, and finally to the air box. That would mean that whenever the solenoid is closed there would be no vent. If the engine is running when that happens, ie at full throttle, your tank would implode. Slowly. :D

If you want to simplify the whole deal, just drill a tiny hole in your gas cap, plug the taps on your air boxes and plug the lines coming off the tank. Then toss all the hardware. Done! California smog inspector may not be too happy with you though... ;)

Randy

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Evap canister is part of a sealed system. It is unsafe to tamper with it unless you know what you are doing. There is fuel and fuel vapor management and completes a seal in the event of rollover.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well how come you tell me this now?!?!

LOL!

4. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its OK for you to tamper with your since your car does not run it won't flip over! So...don't worry about it.

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OOOOOH!!

You would know about flipping over a 348.

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ernie, I have read several of your posts and the bad luck you have had. I can put a positive spin on this to try and make you feel better, and that would be that it is a good thing you know what the heck you are doing and can fix everything yourself....otherwise, as you mentioned "I don't think I would own a Ferrari if I couldn't work on it myself"...also, us amateurs are benefitting tremendously from your experience and knowledge, so a big thumbs up to you for this! I know it doesn't do much for making your 348 any more reliable, but at least you should know that you are an inspiration....and one more important thing ---> you haven't given up on this car of yours, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't ever consider giving up and keep up the good work!!!

7. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm

Well-said, Mike!!

8. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    LOL! :))))

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the pat on the back Mike.

10. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #85 randyleepublic, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Oh hell, now I get what you are talking about, Ric. Only you don't want to replace the canister - you just add the filters to keep the system clean. If your canister is shot, you really should get a new one from Dennis.

I was reading a hot rod forum and they said the same thing. You might want two of them: one between the canister and the tee to the two solenoid valves, and one between the canister and the roll over valve. The one between the canister and the roll over valve keeps dust and crap out of your roll over valve - don't forget that the average air flow in that line is towards the tank, i.e. towards the roll over valve, to replace the fuel as it leaves the tank. Your roll over valve stays clean and you don't get an increadible shrinking fuel tank.

No, I don't think that the fuel filters would mess with the ECU at all. It is not "expecting" anything. If some fuel is pulled in when the solenoids are open, then the oxygen sensor sees incomplete combustion and the ECU responds by leaning the mixture a bit. If none is pulled in, then no sweat - the ECU operates as normal.

Makes sense?

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    PS: Enjoyed the banter between my last post and this <sigh the ownership of a Ferrari, forever the journey>

Yes, makes sense. I was trying to understand why it was needed and why, on similar 348 engines it is removed/different...would seem that in certain areas, since SMOG is less an issue that the engine runs fine without one.

Your insight to put an inline filter was what was being thought.

And I agree, it should be a LARGE flow filter, just one that can keep those grains out of the intakes.

thanks.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #87 fatbillybob, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    You bet! That's why I am particularly careful with fuel systems.

Hey I hope you guys don't think I'm just busting Ernie's ball$. Ernie and I are good friends... Like brothers... and you know what that means we do our best to kick each other's a$$.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    well, kicking is better that the other kid of guy friendship

14. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I thinks that it is actully just as important to keep that stuff out of the line going to the tank. A fair amout of air moves through that line, what? 20 gallons per mile, no? The only filter on that line that keeps crap from contaminating your Billy Bob valve is the canister, and from what you are saying about granules, they aren't very good filters.

15. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #90 randyleepublic, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Nobody caught this boo-boo: not 20 gallons per mile (of air), but a gallon of air every 20 miles. Still that's a lot of air.

So, I just got my NIB turn over valve. $40 including shipping from a wrecking yard in Rancho Cordova via eBay, instead of $160 plus shipping from the usual sources. It very freely actuates; you can hear the plug bouncing around in there. Also, it very clearly has two functions: 1. If it is upside down, it is completely shut, so no gas can run out of the tank. 2. When it is right side up, air can freely enter the tank, but there is a noticeable resistance to flow out of the tank. The second part is key: Since there is a mechanism to restrict flow in one direction, it becomes almost certain that the semi-one-way flow is what malfunctioned on Ernie's car.

My advice to those of us with 348s and Mondial ts that have higher mileage: replace your canister and turn over valve, AND, put two fuel filters in the line: one between the canister and the turn over valve to filter the air entering the tank, and one between the canister and the solenoid valve to filter the air entering the intake manifold. Then replace the two fuel filters every 20,000 miles or so and you won't have any need to "re-expand" your gas tank. Also, I think it's a good idea anyway to replace the canister every 60,000 or 20 years whichever comes first! :D

You probably won't get as lucky as I did buying a new valve, although you can ask these guys if they have another one for $40. http://www.specializedpartsplanet.com If not, I found a place in England that sells them for about $85. If I haven't already, I'll post a link on the parts thread.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    While some, and perhaps with better experience and insight, will challenge your suggestion, I am thinking along your lines of two.

I will let you know on another issue as to why, especially between the tank and the canister :(

17. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I put in the proviso about "higher mileage" becase I assumed that Ernie's car is a "driver" Ferrari like mine. Is that true Ernie? I have about 65 to 75k miles on mine. (It's uncertain because the speedo was replaced along the way.) You? Ric?

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well when it's running it gets driven.

LOL!

As for the milage it's just under 70k.

19. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Hey Bro! 70k on a Ferrari is a badge of honor!! Think of all the ads you see for f-cars with 15k miles. Those poor babys have sat and sat and sat. Tragic!

You on the other hand are a real tifosi! :)

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #95 SonomaRik, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Should have had more miles on it since I've owned it BUT it honestly has spent, about 1 total year, on-off in a shop of someones...from dealer to Rifledriver's.

got it with 11k miles in July '02. Now, about 45K +. I've done a 'few' things to even rewire most of it, as when the fuse box fried, I didn't trust the wiring. 2-4 rebuilt shocks, a couple sets of tires, some touched up leather, couple of bling extras to include cover, and 'tonneau' top of own design, clutch here, two alternators there, and stuff stuff .... I've had two engine out services as one via a 'qualified' mechanic [lesson well learned] had his work entirely redone: THUS TWO :D .... this topic can only be revealed, most embarrassingly, over a glass of wine/beer.

Great to be both dumb and smart...and in my case: that order, but as I and Ferrari will have it: a spinning circle of learning.

21. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I know what you mean about "qualified". The guy I bought my car from had an engine out less than a year before I bought it. I looked into the guy's rep., talked to him, the whole bit. Somehow he convinced some people in AZ to give him a good recommendation - they even posted so on the chat, so I bought the car.

Well... It's not so bad that I feel like I have to have it re-done. Sure she leaks a little oil, and he didn't even bother to fix the frozen belt idler or the completely GONE engine mounts, but other than that and about 6 other things that I have slowly but surely corrected, she seems to be OK - that is I think she'll make it to the next engine out. Then she goes to one of the good guys and gets put to rights!!

I gotta tell you that first time I went fast over a good whoop-de-do and there was this Wha-WHUMP!!! out of the back I was flabergasted. "********, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that was the whole damn engine that just lifted up and slammed back down again!" I thought to myself. Ha ha. It damn sure was the engine. The thing is just resting on the mounts. You can jack up the engine, and it lifts right up and then you can spin the mount's lower section by hand! :eek:

Anyway, I finally got a set of used good ones from Bill at GT car parts. Now I just have to find the time to get under there and do the 'ol Mondial t engine mount shuffle. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! :D

... it sure whould have been easier to do when the engine was out of the car... :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

22. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You know what is funny, is the tag Jimmy has. "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend."

Hahahahaaa!!!!

That one cracks me up!

23. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Chuckling out loud!

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree, I love that expression!!

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So did anyone find a cheap source of the charcol canister?