News

348ts battery charging/jumping

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rogerm2450, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rogerm2450

rogerm2450 Rookie

Mar 25, 2005
    Harrisburg PA
    Full Name:
    Roger Morgenthal
    I have a newly acquired 1992 348ts that needs either a jump start or preferably battery charging after sitting in the garage for a while--perhaps the battery is old and should be replaced, but that's not the immediate issue. I read the owner's manual that came with the car and downloaded the one from the Ferrari Owner's site, but I still am not sure where in the engine compartment to connect a charger or jump cables. The battery lives in the left front area, so it makes sense that there must be somewhere in the engine compartment to do these things. I would appreciate any help you could give. Are there any good books that one can use to learn more about maintaining and servicing Ferraris? I really don't see a lot of helpful troubleshooting information in the official manual.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh G. Rection
    There are tons of threads on batteries, jump starting and battery tenders. There is a search function in the upper left hand corner of the page.

Here is a post I made on battery tenders...

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/showpost.php?p=134446870&postcount=5

If you get the battery tender, you will never have to jump start your car again. If the battery is more than four years old, I would go ahead and replace it. You need a size Group 34R.

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    In the engine compartment there is a battery bus on the right side, it's near the fender on top easy to spot. connect charger positive to it and negative to a good ground. That's it. BTW there are other alternatives to battery tender, I use the charge cube. works great. www.quickchargestore.com.

4. tclark

tclark Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom Clark
    Hey Roger,
    Nice to see another 348 owner in the area. I'm in New Cumberland.
    Welcome aboard! Absolutely get yourself a battery tender.

5. rogerm2450

rogerm2450 Rookie

Mar 25, 2005
    Harrisburg PA
    Full Name:
    Roger Morgenthal
    I appreciate everyone's comments, and a battery tender is on order. It's nice to have a resource like Ferrari Chat!