348 - 348ts in Seattle -- not much information to go on | FerrariChat

348 348ts in Seattle -- not much information to go on

Discussion in '348/355' started by korbonits, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. korbonits

korbonits Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    korbonits
    #1 korbonits, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2019
    For reference: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/seattle-1990-ferrari-348ts/6847586113.html

Compared to a listing here or, say, on Bring a Trailer, this listing seems very sparse and the price point seems low.

As a prospective first Ferrari owner (currently a Porsche guy (996tt) but looking to fulfill my dream of owning a 348/355), would you recommend ignoring this post, doing a PPI, or what? Any recommendations for PPIs in Seattle other than Ferrari of Seattle?

Thank you.

More photos here: http://sodo-moto.com/listings/1990-ferrari-348ts/

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I’ve seen it in person. It’s a bit rough, not super nice. Has a grey wrap on it, when the car is supposedly the same color underneath. Scary to think what’s under there.

Seats were redone, not very well. If you could get it cheap enough it would make a great “care less about it” driver. Or, too bad it’s a ts...could turn it into a track car.

Haha. I’d LOVE to see the PPI report on this one.

Otherwise, spend $45k+ and get a nicer one.

korbonits likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    that car was for sale on ebay for along tine in Nevada.
    Seats redone I agree and not well you can see it in the pics even the material is low grade. When I was looking I steered clear of cars that were painted with redone interior despite the stories that the previous owner just wanted it to be perfect. In most cases you can spot shoddy interior work which is a warning sign, so much for the owner wanting it perfect. Throw paint and cheap interior and hope someone gets fooled and collect 20K more than its worth.

Don't get me wrong I have NO objection to good paint and correct leather and carpet being redone CORRECTLY but that means big bucks and I have yet to see one that was done right for resale as the trend seems to be spit and polish and hope for the best with an attractive price.

You can do a PPI (and please include Compression AND leak down) and if its good then good on you. Problem is ppi and compression and leak down can run $1500 so you kind of need to be selective.

I agree with Brian's assessment.

As a new 348 owner and one who had it as dream car for 30 years definitely get one. Biggest problem is I cant't stop fixing stuff that does net need to be fixed, seats, doors, carpet all kinds of mechanical replacements just for good measure, next year all new paint etc etc. It must be perfect! lol

korbonits and albert328gts like this.
  4. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Go look at the car and drive it. If it speaks to you, get a PPI. If the PPI come back without major issues, make them an offer. 348 motors are pretty solid. If the body, brakes, AC, and suspension are in good shape take the plunge.

korbonits and Wade like this.
  5. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    I've been told that the following places all deal with Ferrari 355's and in theory should be able to handle a PPI on a 348:

Fordahl Motorsports, Bellevue
    Authentic Motorcars, 17351 Ne 70th St, Redmond, WA 98052
    Volce Motorsports, 17410 Ash Way, Lynnwood, WA 98037

Note I have not used any of them myself (since I don't yet own an F car) but the above places have been mentioned in various other posts relating to Seattle.

korbonits likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Correct motors are real good do BUT a leak down minimum. There are 348's out there that burn oil but would otherwise pass a ppi. Ran into one when I was looking lat last summer. For me the only thing I cared about was compression/lean down and accident damage. I expect to replace clutches or what not. If the chasis/body is straight and engine has good compression and leak down numbers I would buy a 45K car. The it becomes a fun project to get it the way you want or else just drive the crap out of it the way it is!

Good luck!

korbonits likes this.
  7. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    If it needs a major and some "while we are in here" items, you could easily be in for 50k quickly. PPI for sure.

korbonits likes this.
  8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And you’d still have the cosmetics to do.

korbonits likes this.
  9. korbonits

korbonits Rookie

Aug 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    korbonits
    Thanks, everyone!

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I would pass, honestly...but I'm the type who likes to buy and drive. I am NOT a tinker-er.

11. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    Forgot to mention G2 Motorsports in Ballard (Seattle). I called them a month or two back and they confirmed they do an engine out service for a F355 so a PPI for a 348 should be within their means.

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm a tinkerer, and I love it.

sjd