3500 GT Restoration Project | Page 3 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Restoration Project

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by italiafan, Feb 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    you have a PM !

Ciao!
    Walter

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks Walter.
    I'll get back to you on that one.

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Wow! Nice find, that is the CHEAPEST classic Maserati you will ever, EVER find in your life time! Very well bought!! You know it is worth 25K in parts alone. Keep us posted on the progress.

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Visited her today.
    The engine is runing but compression numbers are liek 35 to 50....we'll need to pull the engine apart.
    When she fired up she sounded great though!

Current estimates:
    1. Mechanicals....$25K
    2. Full interior....$10K
    3. All body work and brightwork....$25K

Approx 12 months.

Will post pix.

BTW.....meeting the body guy on Tuesday...what sorts of questions should I use to grill him?
    Planning on asking these so far:
    1. Insured and bonded.
    2. Worked with alloy before.
    3. Photos of previous jobs.
    4. Speak to a reference..though this one is weak...only happy people are ever offered up.

Appreciate the insight of experienced restorers here....

Rob

5. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #55 mfletch, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Rob, if you would like some professional advice on the body aspect of your restoration, give Brian Moore a call or email. Here is a link to a local show that he sponsors. His other business is Brian D. Moore Restorations. He came over to my house when I took delivery of my car and advised me on how to proceed. He has restored 3500GTs before and he does Pebble Beach quality restorations. You will find his business advertised in some of the old Maserati Club magazines from 30 years ago.
    http://www.nielloconcoursatserrano.com/contact.html

Sorry to hear about the engine. What precautions did your mechanic take prior to firing up the engine? Thanks.

Your bright work looks like it can be preserved. Your wheels look like they are either incredibly preserved, or they have been restored in the past.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks!
    I will contact him tomorrow.
    Not sure what precautions he took.
    The brightwork is very pitted up close...I'm going to spring for rechroming.
    The wheels are pretty good, though one is bent...luckily there is a spare wheel in the trunk!

I'm going to pull the engine out tomorrow.

7. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Rob, I hope the engine removal went well today. I guess it would be pretty lame to repaint the entire car and not bother to rechrome. I noticed that your glove box has a emblem on it that I have never seen on one before. If you find that it is not original and they drilled to install it, there is a glove box lid for our cars on ebay right now with a starting price of $15 and no reserve.
    I would love to see pictures of the engine and empty compartment, if you have any. Thanks for all the updates and pictures.

8. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Choose you body guy with great care. There are many tales of woe at this stage of the restoration. I would deal with a really reputable shop that has been areound a long time. You got some good leads in this thread from folks.

9. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    fantastic thread, congratulations on your purchase.....very well bought to say the least :)

I love the shape of these cars and they are so beautiful. I look forward to following the progress of your resto on this thread, good luck and congrats....the car will have so much meaning to you at the end of the process because of the effort you have taken to bring it back to life....kudos !

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I forgot to bring my camera yesterday, but will take pix tomorrow.

All accessories are off engine.
    Seats are out.
    Pulled the tranny out.
    Carbs off.
    I met with the body guy for about 2 hours. He said he has experience with alloy. Been in the business for 30 years. My mechanic speaks very highly of him. I want to be involved in the restoration so if I send it off to a shop I won't be as involved. I think I'll risk it and proceed with the local guy. He estimates 9 months. Chassis seems solid, though passenger floorpan a little weak.

Maybe tomorrow we'll pull the engine...I'll take pix.

Thanks guys!

11. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Rob, congrats on the great car cannot wait to see this project up and running!

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #62 italiafan, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #63 andymont, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

Hi Rob,
    Considering italian current prices (not USA ) , and if the engine is as described , $25K seems IMO overestimated .
    Correct $10K, for full interior restoration considering the total needed remake of gearshift tunnel covering to original aspect.
    The work on the body , that doesn't appear so bad , also seems to me overestimated , despite the uncertainty represented by the disassembly and reassembly (substitution) of rubber gaskets .
    4 new tyres are certainly needed (2000 $ more or less) .
    The Michelin 6.00 R 16 PILOT X TT 88W instead of Pirelli Cinturato , is more expensive but absolutely preferable.

In any case , congratulations for your car.
    Ciao
    Andrea

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The old stickers on the screen(s?) are nice! Please keep them all!!!!

Ciao!
    Walter

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #68 italiafan, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Rob, thanks for posting all the great pictures. I appreciate you sharing your adventure.
    I see him behind the wheel again...senior prom perhaps?

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005

AM101.446
    1959, grey/brown
    June 1959 new to Luciano Nigra –Torino/I
    2001 with Luigi Chilo -/I

Ciao!
    Walter

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks Walter...any chance you would know the exact color?
    You rock!

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Who knows.....though it might be too valuable by then though.....I suppose I could follow them :)))
    How much would that suck?! Having your Dad following you on prom night! ahhahahahaha

22. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Rob, I just saved that last transmission picture to my compurer's hard drive. What I wouldn't give to have a transmission in that state, sitting in my garage. I would be eternally grateful if you take a few extra pictures when the transmission comes apart (if you have to disassemble it). Check my post and you will see why.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Will do...I'll take pictures of everything.
    I'll go over and check your thread now...hope all is well.

24. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Hi, I have not looked a Fchat for a while and I am pleasantly surprised to see two threads about restoration of a 3500GT. I enjoy the Barnfind thread very much as I do your thread. Congratulations with your original Maserati. I am restoring #442 (only 15 cars difference from your car) and I bought the car in boxes in November 2005. I started the actual restoration in the spring of 2006 and I am still working on it. I am very happy with the pictures you posted as I have to walk to my laptop frequently to look at pictures how parts are fitted. It is so important to have good information about how to fit the parts at the right place and the right time to be sure that you do not have to take them off later because in conflicts with another part. The restoration of #442 has been three steps forward and one step back all the time and I must say I am lucky that I have met Ruud from the 3500GT register as he knows every detail of the car. Every time he visits me he solves five problems and indicates five others that I have to pay attention to, but he... that is the only way forward. I read somewhere in this thread that a restoration of a car like this can be compared to a marriage. I agree that it is very difficult but also very possible if stay committed to it. My old rule also applies to this car: real costs = (planned costs * 2) and real time = (planned time * 4). If you have it done by a professional restorer just swap the "2" and the "4" :) .
    I'll collect some pics of my car and will post them in a separate thread as I do not want to confuse your thread. BTW parts do not have to be that expensive, just be patient and you'll find the parts e.g. the grille oval, for a good price. If you need any help please let me know in a PM.
    Marcel