3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Check out the video promo for our FerrariChat Miami event coming up end of October! https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-ferrarichat-miami-video.580070/
  1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    It appeared to be a simple contact issue. When I removed and replaced the fuse, the contact became better and solved the problem. The original fuse is still in the car. Just cleaning.
    I have not had any other issues with these pumps and highly recommend that owners keep them with the car.
    You may need to give them a good cleaning, including all the electrical contact points and replace the diaphragm's every 30 years, but thats about it.
    Good luck.
    Ciao,
    FGM

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I hate this new format!!!
    My post should have read like this.
    I am enjoying driving the VS here in Palm Desert CA.
    So as you can see the tuning continues, with the removal of the front bumper and grill in order to be sent out to be straightened and re chromed to a very high quality. At the same time I am replacing all the rear suspension bushings having the speedo recalibrate and a couple other odds and ends.
    I call it "Tuning" Chassis tuning, body tuning etc etc. Just slowly bringing the car to a very high state of operational readiness and originality.
    Pictures above.
    I still hate this new formate.....
    ciao,
    FGM

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I have now removed the front bumper and grill to be sent tomorrow for chroming.
    Poor car looks striped of its smile...
    Ciao,
    FGM

Attached Files:

4. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  5. André Melone

Nov 2, 2013
    Imola
  6. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I have now sent the Vignale bumper and grill shell off to Jon Wright's Custom Chrome Plating,
    Located in Grafton Ohio.
    Jon did all the chrome work on the Americas best Roadster at the 2017 Pomona Roadster Show. Yes, the winning car.
    His work can easily be considered one of the "Best" in the USA, if not the best.
    After inspecting my bumper and grill shell he quoted $1800 each. + shipping each way. I thought that was high but...
    The way I figure it, most top quality shops would charge $1000 to $1500, so to get the very best is worth the extra bucks.
    And yes the Maserati Vignale Spyder #101.1121 deserves the very best.

8. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    lbird and NEP like this.
  9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    While VS #1121 was in the shop getting the chrome reinstalled, I had the transmission removed so they could reseal it with new gaskets and front and rear seals - I hate oil leaks.
    The insides looked new as it had been rebuilt several years ago with new syncros and bearings - nice to know.

The scavenger oil pump which was installed a little over 2 years ago began to leak as well.
    I had the original one that came off the car so we rebuilt it to a very high standard. We sourced and used a new double lip VITON seal and machined a bronze bushing in the rear. We also cut a deeper snap ring grove in order to instal a larger snap ring which holds everything in place. I am hoping this new higher quality rebuild will provide many years of dry motoring.
    Remember to leave the scavenger pump belt a little on the loose side.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I got up early and took the VS #1121 for a morning drive out on Interstate 10 and headed East.
    I put 63 KLM on the clock and she ran great! I feel that this car is now fully sorted and ready to go on a 1000 mile road tour.
    When I returned home I pulled it in the garage and parked it on a sheet of white paper and after 8 hours, NO LEAKS.
    I hope it stays that way.
    Ciao,
    FGM Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  11. staatsof

staatsof Five Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed BANNED

Mar 13, 2005
    Hiddin' in da garden
    Full Name:
    Boo
    Maybe that's because there's no oil left! :eek: :p

Very impressive Frank. Not many can disrupt that continuous flow undercoating that comes standard with so many vintage cars ...

12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    6 Days & 1150 Miles A Maserati Road Trip
    The Car

1960 Maserati Vignale Spyder # AM101.1121
    When:Sat June 16th– 21st. 2018
    Mileage:Starting @ 46286 KLM Ending @ 48202
    Total:1916 X .6 = 1150 Miles

Together with Colin Craig of Vancouver BC as my trusty copilot and navigator we signed up for the Alfa Wannabe Road Tour. The Tour is organized by Tom and Mark McGirr out of Portland OR. 70% of the guys on the Tour own 1 or several Alfas but only 3 or 4 of them actually drove their Alfa’s in the Tour, shameful. There were a lot of Porsches, an Aston Martin and other collectable type cars. We were the only Maserati. It was a fun, enthusiastic group of Car Guys.
    To be continued...
    Ciao
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Day 1.Starting from Mercer Island on Saturday June 16thColin and I headed East on highway 2 winding through the majestic Cascade Mountains along the Wenatchee River to the quaint Bavarian village of Leavenworth. (Google it)
    It was a beautiful day in the low to mid 70s and of course the top was down all the way - we only drove one day with the top up.
    We stopped for lunch in Leavenworth then departed in the direction of Wenatchee and on to Walla Walla on the Oregon border, arriving just in time for happy hour.
    We checked into our room and headed to the bar to meet up with others people on the Tour.
    The car ran very smooth and felt solid. It was a great first day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login We put 491 KLM on the speedo on day 1.

67bmer likes this.
  15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Day 2. We departed Walla Walla early with the group, heading north on Highway 95 toward Coeur d'Alene Idaho. This was a great drive on an old back road highway winding through the little villages and hamlets of the Washington countryside. Again it was sunny and in the low 70’s – just perfect!
    Colin and I both enjoy those cool sunny mornings loping along at 45 to 50 miles an hour. We shared driving, switching off every couple hours or so.
    It was on the way to Coeur d'Alene that we experienced a fuel pump issue. Colin was driving and all of a sudden the car ran out of gas. I got out tapped on the OEM Monoflux fuel pumps and bingo they started “clucking” again, so off we went. About 50 miles on the same thing happened and I again tapped on the fuel pumps and again they started working. We arrived in Coeur d'Alene and checked into the beautiful Coeur d'Alene resort hotel on the lake.
    Below is the view from our suite.
    To be continued...
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login