3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,
    many thanks for posting this pics! Can you recall from whom you purchased #981 and to whom you sold it later in exchange with 1457?

Ciao!
    Walter

2. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    I called 957 about his vin but if had no idea of the body no. But ill call tomorrow. Damned computer crashed yesterday from car overload.. Good job i just backed up! 40 thousand pics atleast! Posting from cellphone.. ! nik

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #78 wbaeumer, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car, s/n 969, was originally painted in silver but the owner in 1999 decided to re-paint it in the very rare color "Aqua Verde" when the car was restored.

Only 3 cars had been painted by Maserati with this color which suits the car perfectly -IMO-. On this photo we see Maria Theresa de Filippis on the co-drivers seat.

#969 resides today in a French car museum.

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That makes me sad. I hope it gets released and exercised regularlarly. An undeserved sentence for such a car.

5. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    #80 eogorman, Aug 27, 2008
    NEP likes this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Eugene,
    still a great car!
    #1119 ws sold new to Adrian Pollet from Tourcoing/F via THEPENIER, the french Maserati distributor at that time. Pollet part exchanged a Lancia Flamina Spider for this car. THEPENIER took the Lancia for FF 37,000 and Monsieur Pollet had to put FF 27,000 on top to get the Vignale. Pollet was in some way connected to Sascha Hornstein from Monaco who too over the car little later.

Ciao!
    Walter

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Ivan, I sold 1457 to Lord Brocket (DBA Classcar) back in the late 80's which turned into a civil suit filed by Brocket in the UK against Janet and I.
    I am planning one day to write a book detailing this and other very unusual stories during my 28 years at the helm of MIE.
    To summarize brocket sued in the UK courts. We claimed that he did not have juristrisction in the UK and that if he were to sue he would need to file in the King County Superior Court in the State of Washington. The UK court agreed with us after a very unusual request by our solicitor.
    We then received a judgment (looser pays in the UK) in the amount of $25,000 for our attorneys fees and sent our private investigator to find out where the Lord kept his quid. The search lead to the Channel islands where what we found was well, to be continued.
    Oh and 1457 the fax machine was buzzing with letters going went back and forth from Brocket Hall. This story eventually involved the Ex CEO of Microsoft who was at the time my tenant. A really great story with many twist and turns
    I'll try to dig up some photos
    FGM

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Major Frank,
    well, the "fate" of his Lordship always made me smile and getting into orbit! What a b*****t!! And while the real "issues" he made were related to Ferraris, the Maserati he owned survived unharmed!
    Yes, would be great to read about the various "guys`n dolls" you met when Chief if MIE....!

Ciao!
    Walter

9. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hello,
    I am new in this forum but I hope to get some help from you to finish the restoration of my Vignale Spider (#871).
    I bought this car, one of the first series (long hood), a few months ago. The previous owner startet restoration but did not finish. I am looking for several parts of this early spider and I am also looking for some technical information such as:

How does the correct CIBIE headlights look like?
    Does anybody know the number of the headlights or numbers stamped on the glass?
    I would like to install a new wiring, is it possible to buy this as a ready made part?
    Does anybody know the correct size of the front trident and the oval for this series?

Thanks to all
    Alfred

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #85 wbaeumer, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    Alfred,
    as I told you by phone one week ago I strongly assume that your car never had the oval surrounding the Trident in the front grill. Look at the photos of #1119 on top of this page and you see - no oval!

If your front grill doesn`t show fixing points of such oval you car was made without that detail. There are several cars that came WITHOUT this design feature. And IF you car had that oval, it would be very hard to get it right as there are at least 2 different designs.

Ciao!
    Walter

11. Peconga

Peconga Rookie

Jan 11, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #86 Peconga, Aug 30, 2008
    Here are some photos of Vignale Spider #1043, which I briefly owned while still a university student. It was delivered new in 1960 in Los Angeles, although not much is known of its history until I acquired it near Indianapolis, Indiana in 1978. It had an indicated 36K miles at the time, and was still in original Nero paint with Rosso interior. It was fitted with Boranni wires, Webers, and 4-speed transmission, and was very pleasant to drive. As Ivan Ruiz pointed out, handling of the car at low speeds was a bit truck-like, although much less tiresome than a Ferrari 250GTE (I don't know how it would compare to a California spider, though).

I sold it in 1979 for a whopping $8000 to a collector from New Mexico, who had a couple of "his boys" fly into Indiana to pick it up and drive it back to Albuquerque for him (1275 miles cross-country). My last image of the car was of two "Marlboro men" (complete with cowboy hats and pointy-toed boots) driving it off into the night, straight into the teeth of an April snowstorm! Apparently the car made the trip without incident, and once in the new owner's hands, was used as his "daily driver" for years.

Spider #1043 eventually ended up with dealer Joop Stolze in the Netherlands circa 1998, and was later the subject of a full restoration by Linea Classica in Germany circa 2001-2003 (see pictures below), at which time it underwent a color change to medium blue with grey interior (at the new owner's request). The current owner is unknown, but the car is reputedly in Germany somewhere.

Cheers,
    Doug alias Peconga
    Boise, Idaho USA
    www.registromaserati.com
    1963 Sebring 101.01945 (current)
    1960 Vignale Spider 101.1043 (former)

NEP likes this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #87 wbaeumer, Sep 12, 2008
    4 of the rare 3500 GT Spyder Vignale attended in the Int. MASERATI Classic Rallye 2008 in Dresden, Germany.

from left to right:

#727, a rare long-bonnet car, owned by Franco Mosconi/CH
    #1171, owned by Jürgen Berg/Germany
    #1401, Baron von Oppenheim/Germany
    #2755, Yaroslav Pawluk/Germany (presented by racing driver Bernd Hahne)

Ciao!
    Walter

NEP likes this.
  13. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Walter as usual you are correct about the oval and trident for the Vignale Spyder. When I restored my car 20 years ago I thought ALL The Vignale Spyders had the oval around the Trident. So I bought the oval and of course it did not fit. The grill surround is about 3/4 inch smaller than the cars that have the oval. i also believe the Trident is larger and I believe it is the same as the Sebring.

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #89 thecarnut, Dec 19, 2008
    Vignale spyder #1457 was sold ($211,200) by Worldwide Group Auctioneers during the Hilton Head concours. According to the auction company, this spyder and the black Sebring behind it, were stablemates for the last 25 years. Only problem is that I use to own this spyder about 10 years ago. Further proof that one must never completely trust what is printed in a sales catalogue. It was not a bad car, just needed detailing.

NEP likes this.
  15. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Ivan,

I think when I saw it at your house it was a beautiful royal blue IIRC.

Ciao,
    George

16. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #91 3500 GT, Dec 20, 2008
    NEP likes this.
  17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #92 thecarnut, Dec 20, 2008
    Different car, the blue spyder was #1129.

Ivan

18. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    OMG !

Ciao,
    George

19. madeche

madeche Rookie

May 30, 2008
    Hello amici, I was wondering if anyone had access to engine numbers and chassis numbers to check if they match (or where I can get this information? at Maserati?

20. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It is very easy. The engine number needs to match the VIN. For example, if you own car 101.1015 then 101.1015 should be stamped on the engine.

Ivan

21. madeche

madeche Rookie

May 30, 2008
    Thank you. Is it the same thing for the transmission? I also read somewhere that most major parts have a body number stamp on them. Is this correct?

22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not so much stamped but usually written like on the back of door panels etc.

Joe

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I've run into three Vignale spyders (two of which I've owned) in which the engine did not have a serial number. Anybody else have a similar experience? Frank ... you probably have owned and seen the most Vignale spyders.

Ivan

24. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Yes, agree I have also seen and noted that several Vignale's that went through our shop did not have a chassis number stamped on the engine. Note I have distinguished between chassis number stamped on the engine and the engine number which has always been visible. Remember the engine number gets stamped on the engine before the engine gets assigned to a car.
    Ciao,
    FGM

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Frank,

You just taught me something. I was not aware that there is a separate engine number. I always assumed the chassis number was the only significant number stamped on the engine.

Where is the other engine number located? How many digits? Do the digits have any significance? Did the factory keep a record of these numbers? Can an engine be traced back to a specific car based on this number?

Ivan