3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Spyder Vignale thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Bart,
    Thank you for your reply. Do you remember you also had a hole in the horizontal frame but without tis rubber roller Bill described in his thread ? Or did your spider also have this rubber rollers?

I completely understand the the way of fixing this problem. I think the "vertical" rails are perfect, the window slides perfect. In the "horizontal" I have the problem the glass of the window does not touch the rubber seal when it is down. There is a space of 2 mm between the glass and the rubber seal on the backside. The closed window touches the rubber seal perfect. I am not able to adjust the window in this way to touch the rubber seal in open AND closed mode. Any help in this case would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Alfred

2. mx906

mx906 Rookie

Jan 11, 2007
    Looking for a really good 3500 GT Vignale Spyder. (Is it ok to post that here?)
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    514-865-6509

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Would you be willing to spend $655,000 for one of the very best, fully documented cars?
    Ciao,
    FGM

4. wlemasters

wlemasters Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill LeMasters
    Hi Alfred,

The roller did attach to the frame so I am pretty sure yours are missing. A call to MIE or another supplier would be in order, even if you have to buy the whole frame. The rubber is hard so it will not score or leave tracks. It is only there to apply constant pressure to keep the window from rattling, in my opinion.

If I have to take off my panels, a job I do not wish to do, again, I will be sure to take a photo for you. Maybe there are others out there who have a panel off or one that comes off easily?

Bill

5. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    Hi Alfred,

My car has these hard rubber rollers installed and after thinking about it again I did adjust them to narrow the play. I am pretty sure they will cure the problem.
    I Just read Bill's reply. If MIE cannot supply them I would have them made out of a flexible plastic and insert a bronze bushing. They are only about 25mm/ 1 inch in diameter with a tapered side / cross section and the hole in the bearing is 6milimeter. At the max width they are about 8mm. This is all from memory and would have to take a door apart to check.

Success,

Bart

Succes,

Bart

6. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Bill,
    your description fits exactly to what I understand this part is used for. The only reason for mounting this part is to avoid the rattling noise. Drivers who are not sensitive to this kind of rattling may have removed this rubber rollers due to damage without any problems. After all it's a moving (rolling) part and it consists of rubber, a material which does not last very long. Maybe that's the reason why this part is missing in a lot of cars.

I completely understand you do not like to take off the panels, it's not a work to love.

Maybe there are other members in this forum doing a restoration of their cabriolet, let's see if somebody can supply some photos. I am curious about it.

Another important question:
    Is this part also mounted on (maybe an early) 3500GT Touring ? Any of the Touring owners who knows that ?

Alfred

7. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Bart,
    Yesterday I sent a request to MIE, but the answer was:

"Hello Alfred,
    Thank you for the email. I studied the ferrarichat postings, and viewed the photos. I understand the problem, but unfortunately we do not have this roller part to offer. I think the solution (although difficult) is to have it made. This would obviously require someone to provide a donor part to reproduce it. In my stock, I have nothing to offer up.
    Very best regards. Stuart Avery"

The solution will be to make them. It's not my preferred solution, but it seems to be the only one.

I am sure, your detailed description will help us to make this part working well.
    Maybe there is somebody in this forum who can provide this as a spare part - hope dies last.

Thank you !
    Alfred

8. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    #158 eogorman, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Per your request attached is a picture of the window rollers. The measurerments are 32mm long X 25mm wide at the top and tapered ro 220mm at the bottom. The rubber roller is 15mm wide and 12mm dia. The rubber is ribbed. the metal thickness is .8mm thick.
    These were also used on the early touring coupes, which is where these actually came from.

Hope this helps,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Eugene,
    many thanks for your posting. The photos help me very much to make the rollers. First I will try to find 2 pcs as a spare part (maybe these are available from a 3500GT Touring), but if it is not possible to find, I will make them.

Please tell me, is the rubber a soft one (which I can press with my fingers) or more a hard one ?

Many thanks
    Alfred

10. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    The rubber is quite hard. It measures 87 with Shore A durometer. The three I have all measure in that range. However I am sure there are hardened for age. Thes parts are original and more than 50 years old. A hose for the radiator for example would measure in the range of 65-70

11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Some general updates about the Vignale-Spyder when researching for my book-project:

- It is unclear show many Spyder were made as I found traces of cars that had been confirmed by ex-owners or other written sources but Maserati S.p.A.said "this car(s) doesn`t exist!" It might be the case that the sources mixed up the VINs of this cars but I will list them also in the book but with reference to what Maserati said.

- currently (!) confirmed are 28 cars in the USA
    - currently (!) confirmed are 36 cars in Germany.
    - 69 cars seem to be lost - this means I have absolutely no infos despite delivery.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Walter,

I am sure you are familiar with the list that was published some years ago which shows the VIN, color, and date of the Vignale spyders. I realize there are some errors on the notes column of this list but perhaps the list of VINs is correct.

The list can be found at: http://thecarnut.com/VignaleprototypesOther/vignalespyders.pdf

I was told Cozza put the list together, do you know if this is correct?

If you add all the entrees the number comes out to 251.

We know that car #2779, which carries the highest chassis number, has body number 250. I use to own this car therefore I am certain of this.

Car #504, which carries the lowest chassis number, does not have a body number. Again, I am certain of this as the car sits in my garage.

If car #505 has body number 1 (which would make #504 body #0) then the number 251 would work. Of course, this assumes the list accurately list the chassis numbers that were built.

Last I knew #505 is part of the Blackhawk Collection.

Ivan

13. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Eugene,
    Thank you for your detailed information. You were a great help for me.

If there is really nobody around in this forum, who has some of these as spares for sale, there is nothing left for me but to make them, though I don't like it.

Where are all the parts of the stripped Vignales now ? Would be nice to know.

Alfred

14. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Walter,
    and how many in Austria ?

Alfred

15. wlemasters

wlemasters Rookie

Feb 28, 2006
    Fallbrook, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill LeMasters
  16. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Hi Bill,

There is already a thread: "World record for Vignale Spyder at Paris Auction"
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/426176-world-record-vignale-spyder-paris-auction.html

Regards
    Alfred

17. Ananda

Ananda Rookie

Mar 19, 2011
    And one in France number 931, sold in 1960 by Thepenier, carburetors, 5 speed, long hood, wire wheels. Fully restored. red/black leather. Was always in France, same owner for last 35 years.

18. Dreambrother

Dreambrother Formula Junior

May 14, 2011
    Hey guys,

Here a video of I made of this staggeringly beautiful car!
    Happy Easter!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Stdbnz1fc[/ame]

Regards!
    Walter

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  20. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Some drawings and renderings are available at the Michelotti's archive. We can provide you digital copies on request. Further informations in PM. I'm the the tutor of the archive. Thanks.

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    It's in my mind that I owned one of these for a short while, perhaps as a Ferrari trade. I can't seem to find a file or any record, but think I had one in silver. Maybe you historians can confirm? It would have been in the 60's, I think. I also had a 3500 coupe and a 200Si, but that's a different subject.

22. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

23. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    #173 nico5000GT, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Ed Niles owned #2415.

Regards

Wolfi

25. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Bringing 2769 back to the U.S. By the end of sept. Just bumping the thread so I can read it