3500GT Barnfind | Page 2 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Walter, thank you. I promise to preserve as much of the originality of the car as possible. It has drums in back and disc brakes in front. I sent you an email with lots of pictures.

2. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Does anybody know of a reputable shop to help me repair the transmission in the 3500 GT?

3. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #28 mfletch, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a couple pictures from last week. The first two are of the front areas that I have not touched yet. At this point, I did the bright work on the back of the car and the first paint step on the right rear fender. I can't believe how nice the car is, under the corrosion and oxidation. The bright work looks almost new. I am using steel wool and metal poilish on the bright work. On the paint, I'm using a clay bar and a three step McGuire's system with a Porter Cable random orbital polisher. I decided to do some of the cosmetic work first because it is way more fun to work on a clean shiny car, than one that looks like a yard car. I'm afraid that I like immediate gratification. I will post more pictures in the next couple days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...and the VIN & Touring-no. are...??

Ciao!
    Walter

5. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Sorry Walter, here you go...Vin #101530 and touring number 6732. Thanks for the great job you do keeping track of all these wonderful cars.

6. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Beautiful car. Fantastic color combo.

Certainly, preserving the car is much cheaper, and in the long run better investment wise. But dont be fooled, that car totally restored to its former dazzeling glory would be amazing and bring more. (but not considering the cost of the restoration) I personally don't see anything original in oxidation and rust, nor do I completely agree thats the only way to restore the history because that is not what the car looked like when it rolled off the assembly line. I personally dont find oxidized paint a beautiful "patina." But thats my personal preference. I certainly respect and understand the views of those that prefer cars that show their age. (I prefer many of my furniture anitques to look aged, but for me I want a machine (because its a working mechanical object to be used) to be shiny and new like it looked when the keys were presented to the first owner. I also love to drive the cars and you can always repair and fix things back to new condition after use, instead of worrying about "preserving" every square inch of holly paint or finish.) Don't want this thread hyjacked by the debate because we all know and understand both points of view in the collector car world.

Just wanted to say you have two wonderful way to go with a BEAUTIFUL car. Wonderful colors, Fantastic story. Amazing project!!!

7. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #32 mfletch, Feb 18, 2009
    John, thank you. I understand your point 100%. I love going to car shows and seeing cars that have had frame-off restorations. My original plan with this car was to do a full restoration...the condition the car has caused me to change those plans. Here are some more pictures of the car today. I still need to do the brightwork and paint on the front of the car (fenders, hood, and roof). I have only done the first step of the paint restoration process. I still need to do the polish and wax. Prior to doing the wax, I will have my paintless dent guy work his magic. He should be able to remove 99% of the door dings. Hopefully, when I get done, there won't be any oxidation or rust on the car. I will probably have Brian Moore repaint the trunk (it was previously repaired and about 1/3 of it is an imperfect match) and the driver's front fender (just where there is bondo & the paint is flaking). I am undecided about the wheels....should I clean them & just polish the chrome & alloy parts, or should I repaint the discolored steel part?

The rat that died inside the car left about a dozen petrified turds all over the top of the car. When I attempted to remove them, they started removing paint. I discovered that a wet sponge applied to them for an hour or so rehydrates them and allows easy removal. I have a feeling that this adventure is going to be a learning process for me.

8. exoticgirl

exoticgirl Rookie

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sarah
    I'm really enjoying this thread, as some of you may know I have a 1967 Quattroporte that I am in just about the same position as the OP. Great photos of this little jewel! Could have done without the rat pics tho. Ick. Would love to hear about next steps for the engine also.......

Sarah
    exoticgirl

9. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Sarah, thanks. My wife didn't like the rat too much either. Your car looks like it has a lot of potential. It appears to be in very good condition. The interior is beautiful. I hope you are able to keep and enjoy it.

10. ivangene

ivangene Rookie

Feb 18, 2009
    looking great !
    glad I can see the pics
    Ed

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Such an utterly amazing story!! So cool that it sat unmolested all these years - that
    your brother didn't force you to sell it ages ago to make room - and that the only
    environmental storage damage is some rat poop on the paint! It's a TOTALLY
    beautiful color and style - I sure wish I had a brother sitting on a 50's sports car
    for ME!

I'm enjoying this thread and hope you keep updating with more pictures.

Good luck - and HAVE FUN!!!

Jedi

12. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Hey Ed, thanks. I'm sorry, it didn't occur to me that you wouldn't be able to see the pictures here, from the link on Rennlist. Don't look at the Ferrari classified ads, you might be tempted to cheat on your Porsche.
    Jedi, thanks. I'm fortunate that my brother kept the car all these years. I'm really enjoying the opportunity to work on such a fun car. The craftsmanship is incredible. Thanks for all the kind words guys.

13. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #38 mfletch, Feb 28, 2009
    My kids and I spent some quality bonding time in the garage tonight. Here are the results. The bright work on the exterior is done (except the wheels). I also completed the first step of the paint restoration process.

14. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    I would get in touch with some Maserati experts and take your time with the engine. Theses engines are very expensive to rebuild and if I recall the tolerances on the rings are very very tight. In addition the steel used on the rings can be brittle and crack if not treated properly. I have heard story's of guys having the rings break after the car sat for under a year. I guess what I am trying to say is proceed with caution before turning the motor over and consult the experts on how to baby it back into working order before you turn the key

Rings can be a problem with these cars the above info was good advise. I love the color on this car! nice work.

15. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Beautiful Car! Keep the pics coming.

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...VERY nice 50ies color!!! You must keep this! Wonder what the name is for this blue?

Ciao!
    Walter

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nice!
    Your car is in so much better shape than mine!

This is fun having two threads about bringing back to life two 3500s.

We should ask Rob Lay to make them stickied and next to each other!

Rob

18. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks again for the kind words guys. I will definately get expert advice before I attempt to turn the engine over. When I find out the name of the car's color, I will be sure and post it here.
    Rob, I'm enjoying your post. I look forward to watching your progress. Your wheels and bright work look fantastic. I can't wait to see how well it cleans up.

19. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    How great is this thread? Congrats on the car. Love the color.

20. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #45 mfletch, Mar 3, 2009
    I skipped ahead (in search of instant gratification again) and used the polish and wax on the roof. I can't believe how well it worked. The paint looks almost like it was freshly applied. I'm glad I did it myself instead of hiring a professional. I was worried about burning through the paint. This system was pretty forgiving.
    I need to have the steering wheel repaired. The bakelite is cracked in several places. I found a guy that rebuilds wood covered steering wheels. He appears to do beautiful work. Would it be a mistake for me to have the steering wheel rebuilt with wood instead of the bakelite?
    http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/wheels

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I'd stick with the bakelite personally.
    The paint looks fantastic!

I was able to turn the engine by hand today...I'm hoping it won't need a rebuild.

22. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Have the bakelite cracks repaired, or try it yourself using black epoxy. Do not go with wood. Keep it original.

23. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Stay with the original finish on the wheel. Nardi and other wood steering wheels look out of place on the 3500 GT/T.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #49 wbaeumer, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    The bakelite wheel is an important styling detail of the interior. Please do not change it to the wooden one which is also not matching the style of the Porsche!!! Try to repair the old or find a new one which is not so complicated!

Ciao!
    Walter

25. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks for the sound advice guys. I'm a modaholic when it comes to my 911. I need to get into a different mindset when it comes to restoring the Maserati...leave it original. I have the contact information for someone who restores the bakelite steering wheels. I appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Rob, I hope your engine is ok and you don't have to rebuild it. That would sure save you a ton of work and get you on the road sooner. Good luck.