3500GT Barnfind | Page 27 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Flaminiagt, your car looks fantastic....you can definately see the family resemblence. After I had the glass installed on my car, I had someone help me hold the trim pieces in their mounting positions. I marked the stud mounting locations on the glass with a "Sharpie" pen. I numbered the marks on the glass and the trim pieces. This was important because the spacers are all identical. I used an awl to make the first hole (along with a rubber protectant to lubricate the hole). After I made the pilot hole, I used a tire plug tool to enlarge the hole (along with more lubricant). The tire plug tool has a T-handle and is like a file for enlarging holes in rubber. I would recommending test fitting your chrome trim to see if the studs will pass all the way through the window gasket. If they do not, I would have a welder lengthen the studs by cutting them in half and adding 50% more than the original stud length. I could not believe how easy it was to install the trim, once the studs were long enough. If you need pictures, I will be happy to post them, after I get the remaining pieces back from my welder.
    Thanks for the kind words about my car and post. I always enjoy hearing about other peoples restoration projects. Good luck with yours and let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help.

2. flaminiagt

flaminiagt Rookie

Aug 23, 2012
    Aylesbury, UK
    Many thanks - I must admit doing anything so close to the screen makes me very nervous!

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Address sent.
    FGM

4. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #654 mfletch, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The carpet is installed. We should have the rest of the interior installed next week. I finished using the Eastwood scratch removal and glass polishing kit on the front windshield. I probably spent a dozen hours (with the assistance of my son and brother) trying to remove the scratch and subsequent haze created by the product. It worked pretty good. You can still see a faint outline of the original scratch if you look for it. Previously it was very visible. Now, the scratch can not be felt....before, if you ran a finger nail over the scratch, it got caught. The haze, created by removing the scratch, polished out...after a lot of work.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Your carpet is looking very good Mark!
    Thanks for the pictures, I'll need them when carpet will be installed in #442 . (I am driving without carpets and isolation now and the noise is deafening...

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Your photos are still fuzzy...:)

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    +1
    What camera are you using?
    FGM

8. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Marcel, I took dozens of before and after pictures of the carpet. They definately came in handy, while trying to figure out the order in which the carpet must be installed. When the time comes, if there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. I kept all of my original materials (carpet, leather, etc.) to pass on to the next owner. I hope you are enjoying your beautiful car.

Walter and Frank, my pictures are terrible....but better than nothing. I keep forgetting to bring my real camera with me to the shop. I am using my Motorola cell phone camera. It is a modern cell phone and probably has a decent camera. The latest pictures are with me resting an arm against the door, to keep them from going out of focus. There is probably a setting on the phone to keep this from happening...any ideas? My son takes great pictures with his cell phone, but he is back in school.

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Yes, bring your real camera next time :) Most cell phone cameras are mediocre unless there is superb light.

Ivan

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #660 PSk, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    My Blackberry is great, but mfletch it looks like you have a slow shutter speed possibly because it is dark (camera is trying to make up for lack of light) and thus you are moving before the photo has been taken, hence making it fuzzy or blurry. Can you turn a flash on? ... or you need a tripod to keep the phone dead still.

Pete

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ivan, will do...thanks. Pete, what you said makes sense. Mine does not have a flash. When I am done, I have a friend that is a professional photographer who will take pictures of the car for me. I will bring my real camera tomorrow.

12. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #663 mfletch, Aug 27, 2012
    Per a couple of requests and for future 3500GT owners, here is a brief DIY on how to install the front and rear windshield trim, if the gasket is too thick. After having the welder attach a bolt that is the same thread as the original studs (and having him cut the original studs in half so you are not trying to thread onto damaged threads), mark the locations for the studs to go through the gasket. It is best to start with the side pieces. Use an awl to start the pilot holes. A lubricant, such as "Armour All", is beneficial. Next, use a small file or tire plug tool to enlarge the hole. I strongly recommend against using a drill, since you are almost touching the glass, as you are making the pilot holes. Cut the head off the bolt with a pair of side cuts and remove the nut that you had the welder install (prior to welding the bolt to the stud). The nut will clean the threads that you just damaged by cutting the bolt head off. Carefully push the lengthened studs through the pilot holes (be generous with the lubricant). Clean the rubber off the ends of the studs and attach the nut. Draw the nut down firm. Snip the excess stud off with the side cuts, leaving enough room to install the original brass acorn nut over the other nut. By using two nuts, you will have enough extra stud protruding into the interior of the car so that if you have to remove the trim again, it won't be a problem.

13. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #664 mfletch, Aug 27, 2012
  14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Great photos Mark!
    FGM

15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Much better!

The car looks beautiful!

16. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks guys. A real camera seems to help.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

Pete

18. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Pete.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Amazing the difference the chrome window trim makes.

Pete

20. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Pete, I should have the rest of the chrome trim back from the welder by the end of the week. I will post pictures when it is all done. I am amazed how easy it is to install, with the studs lengthened. The lower front trim piece on my car never had nuts attached to it (because they would have hit the dashboard). The only thing holding that piece in place was the one inch wide spacers. I had the studs lengthened and I am going to try and attach nuts to mine.

21. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #672 mfletch, Sep 6, 2012
  22. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    a6zagato, thank you for the kind words.

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Geeee...I love this blue!!!!

24. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #675 mfletch, Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Walter. I just got the car home after Brian did the final buff. The paint looks like glass. He did an amazing job, as did Joe Anino (my upholstery guy). I can not believe it is the same car.
    I still need to finish assembling the window trim. The piece of trim on the rear window, that the glass installer broke the stud off, has proven to be a problem. The welder tried to weld it, without damaging the chrome. The weld was not strong enough to install. Brian had the great idea to have the welder weld the stud to a piece of sheet metal and then epoxy the sheet metal to the chrome trim. We did that and it appears to be solid. I will install it this weekend.