3500GT Barnfind | Page 4 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #76 mfletch, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sorry about my serious lack of photograpy skills. I made that hubcap look like it had been beat with an ugly stick. Here is a picture that better depicts it's actual condition. It only has three small dents, each about the size of a penny or smaller.

Ray, I sold a 66 GTV to finance the restoration of the Maserati. The wheels on it were also very similar. I don't care for the look of the weights on the outside of the wheel. I wonder if the weights can be put on the inside, like they are on modern wheels. The tool for removing the hubcaps is good advice. I'm having pretty good luck finding all the parts for the brakes and suspension. I should have a better idea on the transmission parts in a couple days. I found that I have several spare parts with the car including: a new brake master cylinder, fuel pumps, a new stater in the generator, and misc ignition parts. I'm sure that I will have to rebuild the carbs, but I will try starting it first. I have not replaced the tires yet. I just cleaned one. It appeares in amazing condition for a 30+ year old tire. It's fortunate that I know how old they really are.

Don, those tools are perfect for the hubcaps. Thanks for the link. The ebay stickers did not look correct. I will contact Bill on the Alfa forum for the correct stickers.

Thanks again for the help guys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    If the caps are stainless a metalworker who straightens trim might be able to knock the dents out amazingly well.

My 2600 had 3 solex carbs that had never been touched. Ran like a friggin sewing machine! Are there webers on your car?
    Have you tried turning it over by hand yet? (I assume you are getting some advice from someone more knowledgeable than I on this)
    I'm just interested to see how it did sitting so long.
    Are you sleeving the wheel cylinders?

Let's see some pics when you get into the wheel wells!

Let's have a looksee at that engine compartment!!

I'm jealous if you can't tell.....

3. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    #78 Il Vecchio, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Yes, you can. I asked my tire fitter to place the balance weights on the inside of the wheel rim (I went back to stock steel wheels for my Giulia Super). No problems in several months of driving up to 140Kph.

4. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    love those old school Maseratis!

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a wonderful thread. I love love love seeing you bring this Maserati back to life. I cannot believe how good the paint looks after you and your son worked on it. Amazing how nice it looks now. The 3500 is such a gorgeous car, keep up the great work!! Thanks for sharing these pics.

6. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ray, when I have my paintless dent guy massage the body, I will see if he can do anything for the hubcaps. I believe they are brass. The engine has Webers. I would be thrilled if they didn't need rebuilt, but I expect they do. I plan on trying to start it this weekend. I will post more engine pictures, after a little cleaning (page one has a before engine picture). I'm not sure what the wheels cylinders will need yet, but I have located new pistons and rebuild parts (Maseratisource). I promise lots more pictures. I am really lucky to have the opportunity to work on such a fun car.

Vecchio, thanks for the advice on the wheels. I'm sure that will improve the look.

Dino and 308, thanks guys. I'm really enjoying this project and it's fun getting to share it with other car guys.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I wouldn't even both to try starting the engine without removing and stripping and cleaning the carbs. While may not need rebuilds they will need a thorough clean.

Personally I'd pull the motor, then go through the items in the engine bay ... and thoroughly check the engine.
    Pete

8. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #83 mfletch, Mar 19, 2009
    Here are a couple pictures of the engine, after a quick wipe down with instant detailer. The engine is bone dry. The condition appears to be consistent with an engine that was just rebuilt prior to the car being stored. The previous owner upgraded the radiator and fan (I have both original parts). He also told us that he upgraded the oil system. I'm guessing that is why I have the extra oil cooler.

Pete, thanks for the advice. I plan on removing the air filter to inspect the carbs, prior to starting. After rebuilding a couple 99 Porsche 911s (one had an engine fire, the other a dash fire), it is a real treat to have so much room in the engine compartment. I hope I can avoid pulling the engine...we'll see.

9. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi,
    I would suggest that it is false economy not to go right through the fuel system. I have just done so on my QP1, after it was sitting for many years, and it was amazing the amount of junk found in the system. (Tanks and all)
    Also it is time to replace all the rubber lines. After all this work, it would be a shame to see such a nice car barbecued.
    Regards Ian.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #85 PSk, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
    Why was it taken off the road?

Waking up a dormant engine needs great care, and yes agree that ALL rubber hoses/lines, including brake hoses MUST be replaced.

What I have found with carbs is that they don't go out of tune, but it only take a little bit of gunk to make them sound like they need adjusting ... instead it is better to remove the covers and then the jets and give them a little clean. Reinstall and then it usually runs fine.

You should pop the fuel tank out too and clean it out, obviously replace filters, etc. Such fun ... far better than cutting out rust, etc. :)
    Pete

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #86 mfletch, Mar 20, 2009
    Ian, thanks for the great advice. I would hate to have another carbecue. Here are a couple pictures of my past carbecue victims (would you believe that I was stupid enough to buy them like this?). I don't want another crispy critter.
    Pete, the previous owner parked it over 30 years ago, due to a damaged second gear.

Both of you guys have sound advice. I will dive into the fuel system and replace or flush all necessary components. When I am done, every piece of rubber that is part of the brakes, fuel, cooling, or suspension system will be new. Thanks again for taking the time to post and possibly saving me a lot of grief.

12. VeloceOne

VeloceOne Karting

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi,
    As far as hubcaps go, I would try my local plating shop (If you have a good one) I have had great success in the past with very light stainless bumpers (Alfa and Maserati)
    Look for a shop that the local custom car guys use. Regards Ian.

13. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #88 3500 GT, Mar 21, 2009
  14. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    WOW! 250 usd per carb for that? They look way better than new!

15. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #90 mfletch, Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks again for posting the Weber pictures and information. They look great.

I put some Marvel Mystey oil in the cylinders last night. The cylinders looked like new and the pistons had very little carbon build up on them. I turned the engine over today. It built up about 20lbs of oil pressure. I tried to start the car. It was not getting fuel to the carbs. I guess that is to be expected after sitting for 30 years. I put a couple gallons of gas in the tank and it did not register. I'm sure that I need to remove the tank and have it cleaned out. I guess this is a good time to remove the fuel system (including the Webers) and rebuild everything. Since the brake master cylinder is below the carbs, it is time to start on the brake system rebuild also.

16. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Very nice topic, I am looking here every day and I really like the colour of your car. I am restoring #442 and hope to have the car back on the road this year after an absence of 25 years.
    Marcel.
    (BTW I think you mean the brake servo)

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Does it have a fuel cut off switch under the dash, left side? Many do apparently.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Where's the aircleaner?

And why is an engine that was just rebuilt but not run much so dirty? ... surely that brown stuff is not just dust?
    Pete

19. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    He took it off for the photos. He didn't say the engine was rebuilt.

20. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Marcel, if you have the chance, I would love to see some pictures of your car as the restoration progresses. #442 and #530 were pretty close relatives. Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to post. Good Luck with yours.

Rob, I will check that...it's too much to hope for. Thanks.

Pete, the aircleaner is on a box next to the car. I wanted it off, so I could inspect the inside of the throats and spray carb cleaner down them. It also works great as starter fluid. The Alfa that was sitting next to the Maserati for 30 years belched out the carbs a few times. I did not want the air cleaner catching fire. After rebuilding two burnt cars, I'm paranoid. The fire extinguisher was also handy. The engine was rebuilt over 30 years ago by the previous owner. I do not know how many miles are on the rebuild. The brown varnish appears to be deteriorated gasoline residue.
    Thanks xraygun.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    xraygun,

:D

Pete

22. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    good looking engine.

23. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #98 mfletch, Apr 16, 2009
    BlackJag, thanks.

I have finally gotten around to diagnosing my fuel problem. Here are pictures of what I assume are the original fuel pumps. In their place, I found a Stewart-Warner fuel pump (I will check to see if it is getting power...my guess is that it's the problem). There is a cannister next to the pump that is bypassed. Probably a fuel filter. I would apreciate any advice on how to proceed. Is there an aftermarket pump that is superior to the originals?

24. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #99 mfletch, Apr 16, 2009
    Here is one more picture of the original fuel pumps. I would really like to rebuild and use the originals. They are kind of cool looking. An american fuel pump just doesn't seem right and it looks terrible.
    Does anybody know where I can purchase the diaphrams to rebuild them?

25. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Try the guys (and Ladies) on the Yahoo Groups Maserati site. Most of them wrench on their cars and are very helpful. My second thought is look up the Part # on the pump and call Moss Motors (british Healey Jag). You can rebuild these pumps and they aren't too complicated, but they were never reliable to begin with. My advise would be to cary a universial e.g. Holley electric as a spare when these crap out on you! That's what I do anyway!

Ciao!