3500GT Barnfind | Page 5 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Maybe http://www.reoriginals.com/

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  3. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    3500GT, thanks for the advice. I will join the Yahoo Maserati GT group..it looks like a good source of information. Moss is a familiar name. 30 years ago, a MGB was my first money pit. Do you have a recommendation on what model universal pump to use (12V, but what pressure)? I will install a pump to get the car going and rebuild the originals at my leisure.

Coldwater and BlackJag, thanks. That's a great site for parts. A little pricey...ouch.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Very cool thread..

5. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #105 mfletch, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    IT LIVES!!! After almost 30 years, I just got it started for the first time. I was unable to buy the parts necessary to rebuilt the original fuel pumps. I have read that they are very unreliable anyway, so I installed a Holley electric pump, with a filter going into the pump (to protect the pump from debris in the tank) and one going out of the pump. Here is a picture of the pump installed, not pretty, but it is functional. I will tuck the lines up where they belong, now that I know there are no leaks.
    It sounded great...no unusual noises. They engine was very quiet, but the exhaust system is shot. The oil pressure looked great also.
    This was a big step in the right direction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    These carbs look very good! How can I get a hold of Gary Martin?

Ivan

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Excellent, well done!

Pete

8. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Yay! Congrats. Gearbox all rebuilt yet?

9. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    What happend too your car?

Magnus

10. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    I have just finished (I believe!) to put everything right on my 3500GT, which had not run for 34 years. One of the problems was the two fuel pumps: they were nicely packed in plastic bags and looked as new, but did not work. On both the diaphragms had become so hard that they could not work any more. And one of the pump had the thin cable to the internal switch broken. I contacted the factory in Milano, but they told me that no spares were available. They sent me a set of original drawings for the pump. I made the two diaphragms using three layers of 0,3mm thick (gasoline resistant) rubbertissue foils. You have to undo (by careful grinding) the rivet that holds the membrane to the stem, and then put in the layers of new foils, a bit bigger than needed. Then I used the cover as a templet to stamp out the four holes. Once assembled I cut the stuff outside. The two pumps work fine now.

Regarding the wheels: my 5 wheels were of the metric dimension 400 x 185 (a norm which was invented by Michelin and Pirelli?). The 4 tyres were Cinturato 16" x 185 and the spare tyre Cinturato 400 x 185. Today you cannot get any more tyres of the 400 x 185 with the speed index for 210 km/h. (Michelin makes one, but only good for 190 km/h, and the Swiss TüV would not accept this for a car that is given max.speed 210 km/h). Borrani does not make any more the steelwheels with 16" rims. They offered me as sole solution a conversion to 16" wirewheels including adapters. As I was not prepared to spend a fortune on ww, I had the original wheels transformed to 16", which means adding 6mm to the diameter. That cost me 3000$ including a polish of the alu rims. The steel center I restored myself with paint remover and repainting. I mounted new Vreedestein 16 x 185 which have the right speedindex and are reasonably priced, and look rather good. The hubcaps had very little damage but needed a rechroming.

I just found this ferrarichat forum today and find it obviously most interesting. I have been working on my 3500GT now for more than a year and have encountered quite a number of little problems and had to find solutions more or less alone. Until now I only had experience with restoring Jaguar, MG, TR, Morgan and DB2, for which cars one can find workshop manuals, parts catalogues with vendors for those parts. For Maserati that is another story: I think I could not have made it without internet.

Even finding oil filters (there are 2 in series in the housing) and fuel filter was a major problem. I use now for oil two MANN FILTER H 816 x and for fuel FBN SN 296.

On the cooling system there was no thermostat, but instead just a Y tube. (Seems to be original during a certain periode at Maserati!!) Stupid, because the engine warms up slowly and once it is really hot a part of the hot water leaving the engine at the top is recycled immediately into the engine again at the bottom. Only a part goes to the radiator to be cooled.

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #111 mfletch, Jul 20, 2009
    Hi guys. I'm sorry that I have not posted any updates for a while. I plan on having my car in a local concours (Niello at Serrano on October 4), so I am trying to spend more time on the project. The show is only a few blocks from my house. I just need to have the brakes & transmission working, in order to get it there under it's own power. I polished all the paint, brightwork, switches, and guages on the interior of the car. I am very happy with the results.

I steam cleaned the carpet today. I should have the leather restoration kit from Leatherique any day (I ordered it last week). I am anxious to get started on the leather. I have not decided if I am going to dye the carpet, or leave it "as is". I know that the carpet is pretty worn, but the car is only original once. I plan on getting some nice cocoa mats and sheepskin seat covers, so most of the worn carpet will be covered.

I did find some rust. The undersides of the doors have surface rust. It is where the inside of the door structure meets the sill. I called MIE, prior to removing the gasket that runs the length of the rusted area. MIE had me look on the owners manual diagram to confirm we were talking about the same part. The gasket on my door runs along the drain holes for the door. It was not shown on the diagram. The gentleman at MIE told me he saw my car here and it appears to be a very early production model. He told me that many of the early ones have unique features. Apparently this is one of mine. I will preserve the original gasket while repairing the rust. The unique gasket appears to be the cause of the rust. It would trap any water that went out the door drains and keep it on the sill area. I can see why Maserati did away with it.

PSk and Il Vecchio, belated thanks. I am still trying to locate second gear.

Serenissma, I will try to be more dilligent about posting updates.

Lavaux, thanks for posting the information about your car. I received your e-mail and will respond. If you do not get my response, please try again [email protected] I am glad you figured out a solution for the original fuel pumps. They might not be dependable, but they are a work of art. I would love to see some pictures of your car.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  13. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    I hope your word "just" was well chosen, because on my project the brakes were a lot more than "just"!
    My car has disks at front; I had to disassemble both calipers, replace the six pistons and seals, the 3 flexibles, revise the servo, revise the vacuum tank (with the not any more workinh non-return valve hidden in the banjo), the master cylinder (I had to remove the whole bracket with the two master cylinders for cluch and brake from deep under the bonnet), change the seals in the two secondary cylinders in the rear wheels, clean the reservoir for the liquid etc. (I obviously also revised the cluch master cylinder at the time the bracket was out)
    This was going on in parallel with searching parts. As an exemple: I needed six pistons for the front brake. Found a local supplier offering at the price of X. Looked further on internet and found a british supplier at the price of X/2. Ordered happily. The day I received them I found a third supplier in the USA (maseratisource) offering at the price X/4! Too late!
    I will try to attach some pictures of the finished car, just without the hubcaps. (I kept them in the trunk, because I was not sure if I had to remove them soon again: it spoils so easily the paint when just put the screwdriver between cap and wheel)
    As suspected, I did not manage to put the pictures in. There seem to be to many pixels! I'll work on it for the next time!
    Lavaux

14. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    #114 lavaux, Jul 21, 2009
    Here they are:

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Lavaux,
    the 1st. version of the 3500 GT! Very nice! Can you disclose the VIN and Touring-no. of your car? History?

Many thanks.

Ciao!
    Walter

16. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #116 andymont, Jul 21, 2009
    Very nice car and excellent job. Congrats.
    I should only get you a little note . The new exhaust you fitted is the one of the series 2 from 1963. The 1st version of GT fitted a different exhaust.

Ciao
    Andrea

17. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Sounds like good forward progress! I myself disinterred a 1960's Alfa from a few years' slumber- very exciting taking that first drive.!

My only caution is regarding cocoa mats- they can be very abrasive, or so I've heard. Perhaps something rubber-backed?

18. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Hello Walter,
    VIN 101.1634
    Touring 12059

First immatriculation 22.06.1961 in Kanton Bern, Switzerland. I bought the car 1976 from a dealer, who had taken her in from the first owner, with 67'000 km on the clock. Drove her for a few hundred km and put her aside. Was busy during 32 years to buy and restore other cars. Last year I took her out from storage and put all the things right which had deteriorated during the 32 years. Took me more than 500 h, but was a pleasure. Brakes, fuel system, cooling system, wheels and tyres, clutch hydraulics, exhaust system (it is exactly the same that was originally on the car, with all the suspension points!) The paint is still the original one (Blue sera) with some imperfections if you look closer, chrome nearly perfect, same as upholstery and carpets.

After so many hours of "contact" with her, I start to appreciate this italian car. (All my other cars I have restored were british, with two german exceptions).

Lavaux

19. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Hello Andrea,
    I have fitted the same type of exhaust that was fitted originally in 1961. I am not familiar with "series 1, 2" etc.
    May it help if I say that the car has front disk brakes, 5 speed ZF, Weber carbs, fog lamps built in, no rear deflectors in the side window, bonnet hinged on the rear, no thermostat (I have changed that).
    Regards
    Lavaux

20. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Lavauz, your car looks absolutely stunning. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and share your story. Your wheels turned out great and I love the stainless steel exhaust system. I am sure that I am in for most of the same work on the brake system that you had to do. I will either be buying the parts from maseratisource or the Maserati Information Exchange. Did you buy the exhaust from maseratisource?
    If you look at the pictures of my dashboard, it is amazing all the differences between your car and mine. Thanks again. You did an incredible job. You have already helped me by posting your pictures. I was worried about the stance of my car. It appears to sit pretty low in back, compared to the front. Your's appears to have the same stance and it looks fine.

Il Vecchio, thanks for the warning on the cocoa mats. I love old Alfas. I hope you are still enjoying your's.

21. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #121 andymont, Jul 21, 2009
    No problem if you have fitted this kind of exhaust , but the original and correct one for a 1961 model was a two pipes exhaust on the left side.
    I send you an old picture of your car.

Ciao
    Andrea

22. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel
    Do you believe that the first owner had the complete exhaust line changed to the later version?? If that was so, the shop who has done it has made a really good job modifying the rear suspension points to fit the new system. When was the new system introduced?

Ciao
    Wilfried

23. lavaux

lavaux Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Cully, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Wilfried Vogel

24. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    The new system was introduced at the end of 1962 .
    Many cars of the first period were modified to receive the new exhaust, in case of substitution, since it wasn't a complicated modify.
    I bought the new type of exhaust for my 1963 GTI at Campana/Candini of Modena in 2005 .
    I remember that, at that time, they had available the older one too.

Ciao
    Andrea

25. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    I have exceeded the quantity of attachments that I am allowed to post. Can anybody tell me how to resolve this? Thanks.