355 360 430 Interiors | FerrariChat

355 360 430 Interiors

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ginoBBi512, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was talking to my mechanic today about the 360 he had in his shop due to the interior coming apart. I knew this was the case with 355s , but not with 360 s and 430s . Ferrari should be ashamed of themselves for using the same crappy system that has these interiors coming unglued . He said it was some kind if paint / adhesive that breaks down in such a short amount of time .It would be funny if it was not so pathetic. SO it looks like my 328 will be the only Ferrari I will own. I cant afford or even want any of the new machines after the 430 . I would have considered a 430 , I have to say I love the glass in the engine lid now that I found out about the crappy interior coming unglued I dont think so.

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You must be talking about the dash leather that suffers from shrinking due to glue degradation, I tore apart my interior, and their was a ton of good adhesive on my carpet.

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    He mentioned that. along with all the switches coming apart and whatever else its a nightmare and joke all at the same time ridiculous

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interiors? These cars have interiors? Funny, I never noticed.

RedTaxi likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari is not Ferrari anymore. They are a marketing company who builds cars on the side..

Doc_K, Graz, paulchua and 1 other person like this.
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    There are always some quirks on all of the F-cars - 328 and older included.

Taking care of some of them wouldn’t keep me from enjoying all the other positive ownership experiences. Once the items are fixed, it’s likely you don’t have to go through it again. What exotic car has no quirks or items to repair or fix? :D

Robb

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    All cars, even Ferrari deteriorate at some point. Some 360s are over 20 years old now. I have a 15-year-old Honda and 9-year-old Toyota that both experienced some form of degradation.

Perhaps your 360 was exposed to an excessive amount of sun? You mentioned the 328, I've seen similar degradation to leather occur in those models as well when exposed to a lot of sunlight.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My 99 will be 20 this year. Sometimes I wonder what owners do to these cars. It's not Ferrari cheapening things it's owners who don't know how to take care of a car. It's the same with a 911, Mazda, Honda, etc. etc. Some people take care of their car and it's interior and others don't.
    My airbag leather is flush and tight, my dash leather has pulled back, and the bolster on my drivers sport seat is worn and the stitching is loose on that bolster. Otherwise, the stitching is sound and my leather looks good. He might have been talking about the soft touch pain coming off the swtiches, which for the era happens in many European cars. If you take care of it, it will look good. Oh you should consider a 430, when you get one that isn't trashed.. it'll make you realize that Ferrari makes cars that can outdo a minivan. ;)

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    No issues here on a 2001. Car spent half its life in Cali, the other half in Canada.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    One of My Ferrari is almost 30 years old and the other is 20 years old with the same leather used in the 360 -- both of the original leather is still great, totally agree much is up to the owner(s) The 456 did have some shrinkage on the backboard - but that's to be expected with the sunlight back there. All of $300 to fix....no biggie.

Doc_K likes this.
  11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My very very indirect contention is that deciding not to get a 430 because a mechanic has one in the shop with a beaten interior (and therefore all are like it) is JUST LIKE the time that I decided not to but a 488 because the reverse button reminded me of The Emperor of Spain third wifes' ivory pen. :)

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think that a lot of folks hold these cars in such high regard that they are expected to defy the laws of physics...my car is a '99 that turned 20 last month, and even though its not perfect, has still held up better than a lot of the other 1999 cars out there..the 2005 Crossfire I just sold, that had half the miles that my Ferrari does was in worse shape, had sticky buttons, worn paint, etc.

These cars are just that: cars. Don't expect them to turn into gods just because they are priced that way.

vrsurgeon and paulchua like this.
  13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Let's be real. The so-called "sticky interior" problem is real and very widespread. Its lame. No debate. There is no need to sugar coat it (hmmm, maybe that's what ferrari did to their plastic pieces?). There should be no need to defend it. Ferrari's ain't perfect, never were. Yet...somehow folks aspire to them despite the soft coatings on plastic bits turning to goo. Go figure...;)

paulchua, Doc_K and cls like this.
  14. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    My 328 is 30 years old with 102 k miles and I have nothing on the interior coming apart,( yes the driver seat got worn and I replaced it ) never any motor troubles, or anything else other than routine maintenance , the starter went out at 90 k and the alternator at 100 k . I was just surprised that after the 355 this interior stuff was not corrected. I saw the switches on the 360 s he had in the shop and they were all bleeding that crap that Ferrari used to etch them and whatever else , as well as the 430 he had as well with the same issues. You do not see this kind of stuff coming out of Japan , in my experience . I know Italian exotics have their querks, but the interior should not be one of them in my estimation .

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've had Alfas do the same thing. I believe there are other marques that suffer with melting soft touch finish.
    My 360 has it a bit but otherwise the dash and seats are almost perfect.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I agree that Ferrari should not continue to use products it knows will fail in relatively short time frames for the finishes. It seems like Ferrari is only aiming to satisfy the customer through the new car warranty period. It just seems like there should be a good alternative that could be used that is more durable and has a similar touch when new.

17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Short space of time? You're talking about 20 years!

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The finish has been known to get tacky / sticky within 10 years if you live in south Florida. That seems short to me.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think even Enzos and 458s have that issue no? It is really a disgrace that Ferrari did not rectify it one generation in.

Porsche had that issue with the 997 and i think they fixed it with the 997.2 or 991. I had that issue with my 997 and so far nothing with my 991.

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We can help with all those sticky issues for reasonable prices. No need to spend a 1/5 of the cars value just to solve the issue.

paulchua and Doc_K like this.
  21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, we have done 22 Enzos to date

paulchua, amenasce and Doc_K like this.
  22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    In case it has eluded you Ferrari does not care

arizonaitalian and Doc_K like this.
  23. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I’ve spent the last few days replacing the interior door handles/pulls on my BMW. Going to have to replace the window switch buttons too. It’s not an easy job dismantling it all and getting back together with the same ‘thud’ sound it came from the factory with. Had to have my seat bottoms on my 300zx reupholstered too recently. It’s not just a Ferrari problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not quite:: the dash suffers from owners who don't take care of their leather.
    This is NOT the fault of the leather,
    it is the fault of the owner not taking proper care of the leather.

Leatherique at least twice a year.

25. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    They spend thousands in mechanical parts but they are cheap in plastic.
    Yep that is true

paulchua likes this.