355,360 wheels fit my Mondial?? | FerrariChat

355,360 wheels fit my Mondial??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by davem, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I have an 88 Mondial with ABS. Does anyone know if 355, 360 or even 550 wheels will fit???
    Thanks, Dave

2. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't know...yet. I bought some 360 wheels with PZeros on EBAY. They look like they will fit, but the lug bolts on the Mondial 3.2 (I have a non ABS '86) aren't long enough. They are 14mm x 1.5 and I need 14mm x 2.0. Seems like the titanium bolts from Ferrari are $50.00 EACH by what I have seen on my google searches. The seller of the wheels says he might have a set, so he's looking. Of course, the wheels didn't come with the proper bolts. I won't know if they really fit until I get the lug bolts in, wheels on, and car off the jacks and taken for a spin. I have the metric wheels, but the 18" 360 wheel and tire combo is remarkably similiar in overall size.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    When looking for a T Cab I saw Mondials with all different types of wheels - the largest being 18" with 235/40 ZR18 at the front and 295/35 ZR 18 at the end.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Guys tell me what you come up with, I am still interested to see pics.

I am still looking for that last wheel to complete my collection...

PS I have some 360 oem bolts in my garage that are extra. (10 of them total)

6. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, I may yet need them. The seller says he has a complete 360 set for $275. I am going to buy them and give it a try.

7. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I'm not too sure on a mondial, but 360 front rims fit on 308s and look damn good.

8. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well I got my 360 wheels with the PZeros on today. The key components here are the stock 360 lug bolts. You have to have the extra 1/2 inch in length in order to fit the wheels on the car. Once I got these, the tire shop put them on in about 10 minutes, NO spacers required. In fact, the difference in offset for the rear wheels is less than 1/4 inch, and the front tires fit perfectly. I noticed several advantages immediately.

First, it feels like I added power steering. The steering effort at very slow speed, something I got used to with the old metrics, is vastly reduced. The car turns much quicker and easier at speed as well. Very nice!

Also, until today I had no idea how much noise the metrics made on the freeway with the top down. Really, the only thing I hear now is that beautiful sound the motor makes at 5000 rpm.

The ride is excellent, and the cornering is even better than before.

If you like how they look, I highly recommend the upgrade. I don't know if the 355 wheels are similiar. I also don't know if ABS changes anything. Just buy a set and try them. You can always resell them on Ebay, which is where I found my wheels.

Keep in mind...
    Get the complete set with Ferrari center caps.
    You need the stock 360 lug bolts as well. They are expensive to buy new, but without them you can NOT install the wheels.
    Don't forget to put 5 of your original lug bolts with your spare. If you get a flat, the 360 bolts will not work on your original metric wheels.
    Keep your old wheels. I believe you will want to keep them with the car if you ever sell it.

Install, enjoy! Here are pics. I really like the way they look, and I love the way they drive.

9. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That just made you car look almost new again. I always said that its the rims/tires on the 328 and the Mondial that make the car dated. I have a 328, and after seeing yours, and how great it looks, I'm looking into it. Thanks for the pics. You convinced me.

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Those wheels looks perfect on a Mondial Cabrio. I hope someone will add some pictures of the same wheels on a Mondial Coupé.. ... It shurely gives me some ideas to change my metric wheels.
    Guido

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Those wheels look great! I ended up buying a set of 348/355 challenge wheels. Im afraid the rear wheels might be too wide (11 inches are so), but honestly have not tried them on as of yet. Shall see.

12. Mondial T Driver

Nov 21, 2003
    Hi
    I hope you made sure that the overall rolling radius is the same on your new 360 wheels as it was on your originals otherwise you will be getting very false speed readings

Steve

13. Mondial T Driver

Nov 21, 2003
    Hi
    I hope you made sure that the overall rolling radius is the same on your new 360 wheels as it was on your originals otherwise you will be getting very false speed readings

Steve

14. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am aware of this, but it doesn't really matter because my speedometer read 8-10 mph fast with the stock metrics and Michelins.

15. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    isn't the odo effected as well

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Mondialman is actually quite correct - with the built-in 10% false fast of a Mondial speedo, if he goes any larger it will actually make the speedo more accurate.

As I understand it, the speed indication is directly proportional to the circumference of the tire, 2(pi)r, and therefore any change would be a proportion of ratio of radii (or diameter) after everything cancels out. Most Mondial rear tires are about 25.7" tall or so ( [section x aspect ratio x 2] + wheel diameter). To make up for his 10% error, he could go 10% over, or 28.27 inches which is outrageously huge, at least for a car street tire in this application and is more in the SUV range.
    Most likely, he will notice very little or no difference. I didn't when I went to a 26.1 inch tall tire.

Anyway, that's the way I understand it.

17. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I didn't realize my speedo problem was common to all Mondials. The 360 tire is actually slightly smaller diameter, so it will only make my problem worse. However, there are advantages:
    My actual speed is lower than indicated...could help in the ticket prevention department.
    My car actually had 4100 fewer miles on the odometer when I bought it!
    And I can let myself believe that my "slow" Mondial really can do 110 in 4th.

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is not a problem...it's what Ferrari refers to as a 'feature'....

Ferrari salesman in 1980s: "Hey, watch this speedo and let's see the zero to 60 time...."

:)

19. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Since the 360 wheels appear to fit the Mondial (with the proper lug bolts), does this mean that the 355 wheels will fit as well?

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    yes.

21. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Actually, I wanted to ask a question along the way here, but wanted to correct this statement, in that 355 wheels and 360 wheels have quite different offsets, the 355 wheels would need spacers.

Now to my question:

What is the length of the stock 360 lug bolt?

22. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I have a perfect set of stock 360 wheels for sale. They have less than 3,000 miles on them and are as new. Only looking to get 2100 plus shipping, let me know if you are interested. If not, good luck with your car anyway.