355 5.2 series Ignition ECU's Gated 6spd | FerrariChat

355 5.2 series Ignition ECU's Gated 6spd

Discussion in '348/355' started by Beetle, Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hello all
    Has anyone got info or tried to substitute another (Different PtNo) ignition ecu?
    For all 6 speed cars with a catalyst system ranging from 96 through 99. Does anyone have info on what changes where made? For instance the #172589 and #168599 both suit USA, Canada and Aus?
    My ECU is currently under repair (hopefully) and I'm not 100% sure its even the right ECU for it? How could i find out as nothing seems to match with my assembly No. Daniel from Ricambi believes the 172859 should be the right one and I don't doubt him but i would like some solid info from people if any who have changed ECU PtNo and had any problems if any. Example Would a 99 gated 6 speed ecu with cat system (#176232) work in my car and if not why?

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Australian design rules on emissions align themselves with those of the US as do Canada, where as the rest of the world tend to follow the European regs hence the different ecu settings. The box will be the same, its just the software related to such inside.

From memory yours is an import? so more than likely ROW spec. In theory either ecu should work on any 5.2 as the sensors are the same, its just what goes out the exhaust that is different.

The only fly in the ointment could be to do with immobilisers needing to be matched to the ecu?

Beetle likes this.
  3. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I also forgot to ask if one of US guys with a 96 model (Mine is assembly 22901) would be kind enough to check what there ecu PtNo is that would also help.
    I'm also thinking its only emissions that are a possible change?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you mean 172859 and 168599?

The Eurospares site says:
    "-Valid from Ass. Nr. 26003 - Not for USA, CDN, AUS, SA and ZA - Valid for 355 F1 cars"

The Ricambi site says:
    "-Valid from Ass. Nr. 26003- Not for USA, CDN, AUS, SA and ZA -valid for 355 " (the text may be truncated and be missing "F1")

I don't think you'd want to fit an F1 box to a gated car. The F1 boxes will probably have extra outputs or software for handling the different gear ratios.

What part number do you currently have?

As far as I know, if you have a TCU on the bypass valve, then you need an USA-spec ECU, not a EURO spec.

Beetle likes this.
  5. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    ECU required is #172859

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see what you mean about the assembly number not matching up. P/N 172859 is for assy no. 23429 and onwards (according to the Ricambi and Eurospares websites).

If Daniel ignored assembly number, he would have to work on a process of elimination or some other method.

MY96, MY97, MY98... etc
    F1, non-F1
    Bosch or Teeves brakes
    Country (USA, CDN, JAP, AUS, SA, ZA, Brunei, etc)
    Exhaust Bypass temperature ECU fitted/not fitted (Ricambi parts Fig 8, Item 42) https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/air-injection-device.html

7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Correct mate. Process of elimination. Extremely expensive for an old car to purchase new????

8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I'm quite suprised the US guys didn't help with this one there must be heaps of 96 cars over there, ah well maybe there busy Merry Xmas to all

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What do you need Paul? I have a 96 in my garage.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Paul, perhaps the part is simply unobtainium. I don't see any listings for second hand parts on eBay, at Eurospares or on auto recyling websites. Also, it's not likely someone has a U$3000 part sitting around as a serviceable spare. Over the years, I accumulated a couple of spare broken ECUs for my Lotus Esprit until I discovered they could be used as trade-ins on refurbished ECUs (but you already have a broken ECU, being fixed). I understand your frustration. My F355 has been off the road for 3 months because of nil stock spares before... and it will probably be off the road for two months with its current gearbox problems (a third broken gear set was discovered... in addition to the main shaft gear damage). Part shortages are just something you have to accept for a car this old.

I would just wait and save your money. If they can't repair your old one, then I would look deeper into the differences between early and late 5.2 models and finding an alternative part. However, it's most likely water ingress into your ignition system only damaged the ignition driver chips in your ECU. Driver chips are probably not unique to Ferrari and can be replaced without too much bother. Just make sure your battery and charger have been disconnected before installing the repaired ECU (I think I blew up a refurbished ECU by not doing this).

Cheers (and a Merry Xmas to you, too)

Beetle likes this.
  11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    If its a 6 speed gated manual could you please advise the ECU No #172859 ? the last part of my VIN is 0105878. i have found a couple of 96 gated cars in the US in car yards and the service depts are going to check the ecu No for me also but being so close to Xmas may not get the chance. I just need to confirm that this is the correct ecu for my car before i purchase one. One of the cars is within a couple hundred No's of mine so that info if i get it would be great. Thanks again. I have checked with Daniel at Racambi and he believes its the right one but the assembly No's just dont add up hence the reason I'm reluctant to purchase a new one just yet

12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Also found one of the coils was very loose which wouldn't help. Your gearbox sager continue's ? That not good news mate! Im still not convinced that 172859 is the right one mate but hopefully i may have some good info coming very shortly. Merry Xmas also mate have a great time and enjoy

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Beetle likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. As mentioned above, P/N 172859 is for assembly no. 23429 and onwards (according to the Ricambi and Eurospares websites). Mitch, does your 96 assembly number fall outside this assembly number range?

Beetle likes this.
  15. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated champion effort I have some confidence know MERRY CHRISTMAS

16. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If there is ant doubt after, let me know. I have a 96 with gated shifter. I will be able to provide info if required anytime before Jan/3. Ciao.

17. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Yes that would be great if you can check. I'm curious to see if there is a diff Ecu No. Thanks again

18. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Is it behind the passenger seat? Judging from Yelcab's photo it is.

Beetle likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well actually it is under the gas tank favoring the battery side. Wait, that is a Ducati.

Yes, the Ferrari ECU for a 355 is behind the right seat, move seat up, take off 2 screws, lift up cover and it reveals.

Beetle likes this.
  20. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Mitchel. Ironically, I had my Ducati apart and rechipped and have had the Motronic on the Ferrari tested and repaired. Thanks for the info

21. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Paul, I just tried to get the photo for you but the seat is not moving forward....yay 355 convertibles I had the drivers seat repaired and now this one needs it. Will do what I can to get access for the photo. Happy Hollidays.

Beetle likes this.
  22. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks for trying merry Christmas

23. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Any luck with moving the seat for a picture yet??

ducrob likes this.
  24. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No, sorry. It needs to be fixed. I was only in town (where I keep the car) for a couple of days. I won't be back for a month.

Beetle likes this.