355 Aftermarket Header Manufacturers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Aftermarket Header Manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cgperry, May 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I know nothing about welding. Are the factory flanges stainless? If not, are there any long-term issues with welding stainless to standard steel?

2. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    By the way the Tubi Style Headers for the 355 are $5K

-Michael

Just got the info from QV London, to date they have rebuilt around 20 pairs of these without so much as a complaint. They charge around 1200 UK pounds to do a pair and ship them back ($2130)

I'm going to call these guys next:
    http://www.ferrarispares.com/contact.php

Either way I go, I may have them ceramic coated on the inside and out as well.

-Michael

3. ENZOFORZA

ENZOFORZA Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    DUXBURY, MA
    Full Name:
    JAKE
    would a tubi style header/muffler/cat delete add any HP? I know that the Muffler gives nominal HP gains but doing all 3 might make a bit more. Also didnt Allanlambo have a custom header made for his 355? I thought I remeber some pics of it

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    The QV ones are all new pipes on to existing flanges, the exterior shielding is reused as it is stainless and the packing in between is replaced. I've visited the Company that does the work for QV and was mighty impressed with their process and attitude towards quality

5. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I half wonder if QV just sends them to QuickSilver.....

-Michael

6. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here is the update from QuickSilver's reseller in the US:

Hi, these are remanufactured by London stainless/quicksilver in england, we
    are the usa distributer for them. The original 355 manifolds are made of 409
    (about half stainless steel) and they are only 1.2 mm thick.
    The qs manifolds are made of pure 304 stainless steel and they are 1.5 mm
    thick.....let me know....thanks........george www.evansauto.com

-Michael

7. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here is an update on what exactly QV London does:

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for your mail,
    We have had a major PC bug, so sorry for delay getting back to you.
    Regards the F355 manifolds we remove all the four pipes from the flanges that bolt to the c/heads and up to the diverter on the other end.
    The pipes are replaced with a thicker walled stainless 304 (grade)1.5mm thick.(the factory thickness is appx 1mm thick and the grade of stainless is unknown to us ? heinz baked bean cans ?
    We try and keep 2.7 and 5.2 left and right in stock so we can send out the manifolds without our customers waiting for theirs to be repaired, and when they have taken their manifolds off they send them back to us.
    But surprise surprise 50% of the manifolds I have sent out, customers have not returned their old units.
    This causes a delay .
    We have been selling these manifolds since 1998 and have yet to have one returned, inc suppying most of the Pirelli challenge race cars with manifolds.
    If you require any more info plesae mail or give us a ring 01344 622 011 ask for phil or mike
    cost inc. shipping to the States £1200.00.DHL 2-3 DAYS
    this does not include the cost of shipping your old units back to me, a slow cheap shipping delivery is fine as this keeps the cost down.

best regards
    phil warburton

8. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Yup new on the inside - with thicker stainless. The outer shield remain unmodified.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)