355 air con. | FerrariChat

355 air con.

Discussion in '348/355' started by puddas, Jan 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Gday tech experts, I have a 1997 355 and the aircon has been playing up. It basically blows cold air at the windscreen and I’m unable to control where the air goes. I sent the air con to Tennessee and despite being told it’s repaired the same thing happens. Coupled with this the vent Near the trunk keeps opening and closing constantly. Any ideas ?!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    So even in manual control, you can't get the air away from the windscreen or stop the fresh air flap moving?

If in Auto, operation can be confusing. JohnK posted this message on one of the oddities:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/hvac-vent-actuature-direction-problems-comments.607196/

In Auto, the system is responding to external and external temperature sensors, but I haven't heard of the trunk fresh air flap cycling contantly. According to the manual, the periods are quite long. Usually the "frunk" actuator works or it doesn't (broken gears or drive shaft). Same for the air direction actuator (although that has an additional potentiometer which can play up).

Are you near someone with an SD1 or SD2 tool which can analyse faults on the HVAC system? It might be easier than pulling your car to pieces (again). What were your faultfinding steps which led you to sending your ECU in for repair?

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    @WATSON is there a theme starting here?

sjd

4. puddas

puddas Rookie

Jan 31, 2011
    Yes it’s everything you described. The only reason I sent it for repair was because we thought perhaps it was the ecu failing as that’s the best we could find from the research.
    I’ll see if I can track down an sd1 or sd2 to try and analyze the fault !

Qavion likes this.