355 Air Pump | FerrariChat

355 Air Pump

Discussion in '348/355' started by watkinsgt, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Gents. '99 355 threw a CEL diagnosed as popped Air Pump fuse. Replaced fuse and yes now pump runs fine. However suspicion is pump is sporadically "hanging up" on it's way to complete failure. Been told factory replacement air pumps are no longer available. Found used for $1400 installed but not enthused - it may not be any better than what I have. So several questions: Can air pump be successfully deleted? Is new replacement available? Are they rebuildable? Am I asking the right questions? Advice? Many thanks.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Contact Dave at Sticky RX.
    He was able locate a brand new one this year for me.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Wait to see if the fuse fails again. Fuses can fail simply because of repeated motor starts. Motor starts draw momentary high currents that can stress fuses. I wouldn't be running out to replace the pump because of a single incidence of a blown fuse.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep. I replaced my fuse in 2011. Been good ever since.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Skipp however those pumps are not available at this time. I'm always hesitant to say "NLA" as Ferrari is famous for reproduction of parts previously listed as NLA.

I also agree with John, no need to replace the pump due to a single blown fuse.

Tom - you may wish to change the pump filter material. Give me a call and I can help you with this - I've done mine a couple years back.

6. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Quavion, Skippr, John, Challenge, Dave, Thank you gents for your generous replies. Dave, I'll call you Mon. abt. filter material. I'm going to pursue rebuilding a used one just to have on hand. If I find something helpful along the way I'll let everyone know. You guys are the best.

7. Jase90

Jase90 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    When I got my 355, the pump was not working on mine, I took it apart, and the impeller had started to seize/melt to the housing, and the bushing material had failed but I cleaned everything up, I found a wheel bearing from a radio control nitro car fit perfectly, and the last couple of years every start its been running just great. I used blow by filter mesh for the filter in it.

Qavion likes this.
  8. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks for your help Jase. The plan is to leave the existing pump in the car for as long as it lasts while having an electrical shop rebuild a spare. Should the shop need the RC bearing you describe I hope I can approach you for guidance. "If it can go wrong, it will".

9. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Check the connector at the pump. Pull it and inspect the pins to see if they are clean and not melted. Mine were

Change the filter media as it gets clogged and makes the pump work harder.

You can unbolt that sub panel the pump is on by three bolts. Two on top that you can see and one in the middle on the side that you have to reach down for . A couple of small screws hold the basket in that contains the filter media. An fish aquarium store will have media you can use to replace it. I have a sheet of it here still if you need some.

Qavion likes this.