355 alarm siren repair | FerrariChat

355 alarm siren repair

Discussion in '348/355' started by darrenliu, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    My dash LED was staying on indicating a problem with the alarm system. After checking all the posts on this subject, I decided to remove the alarm siren and check the internals. Mine is a 97 spider, and the siren was the older part number (one with the pigtail connector). I was surprised how easy it was to open the case and remove the battery. Unscrewed two screws under the silicone plugs and the case just fell apart. Inside is 7.2v NiCad battery. I tested the voltage and it was 8.4 volts. No sign of acid leaking until I removed the plastic coating. Search the internet long and hard and found one place in the UK which could supply the NiCad battery in the same voltage but slightly higher mAh rating. I placed an order for the battery and waiting for the part to arrive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  2. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Got my pack in Australia through Battery World. $80 done and dusted
    They even put the pig tail with plug on for me. Great service. Sounds like you were lucky like me? No corrosion to the siren unit. Batteries came from the UK I believe

Qavion likes this.
  3. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I seem to recall that the LED was on all the time in my parents' car when I drove it last fall. Seemed unusual, I chalked it up to being a 'quirky Ferrari thing'.

However, it NEVER made a single noise every time I disarmed/armed it, so I would guess that their siren is also DOA. Where is it located on the car and what are the steps to get it out?

FWIW, that battery pack looks like a stack of button batteries shrink wrapped up... Which is the case for most 'specialty' battery sizes. 7.2v is not uncommon in the R/C car world, I'd bet that these are widely available in that arena - would you all care to share your sources for replacement??

4. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
  5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If you search for 7.2V NiMH button battery pack, much easier to find. NiCd is becoming obsolete as NiMH has a number of advantages, otherwise it is charged in the same way as NiCd so it is a direct replacement.

6. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    The siren was located next to the windscreen washer bottle in the LHS bottom bumper. You need to remove the wheel, the under guard fibre glass panel and then the flat vertical panel in the wheel well. After reading all the posts on this siren, it seems some cars were fitted with the later (new) version siren which was fitted to the 360 and some of the other V12 models around the late 90s and early 2000s. This version requires a second cable to plug into the siren and then into the car harness. My advice is don't just buy the new part without checking the old one first (if you have the older style like mine). I understand the new one has a NiMh battery which also leaks and destroys the internals. The new one is also very difficult to open. My siren was very easy to open, no cutting involved. It looks like it was made to be serviceable, unlike the new one. I thought about buying the GM siren too, but there were conflicting posts about whether this unit works properly, even though is looks identical to the Ferrari part. You also need the adapter cable too, which is not cheap. Plus, those that fitted the GM siren say it sounded different to the ferrari unit. That would slightly annoy me, particularly after listening to mine for 10 ten years.

f355spider likes this.
  7. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    I did find a NiMh replacement, but i wanted to stay with the NiCad because i wasn't sure whether there would be issues with swapping over to NiMh. Plus, i had got over 20 years life with the NiCad battery.

8. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
  9. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    how long was the LED staying on before you got to the battery? I got onto mine only a few weeks after i noticed the LED staying on, hence the acid was relatively contained.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I just ordered the factory siren / battery from Europe for approx $250. Not too bad.

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Pretty steep I rekon????? mine was $80 AUD

12. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    Did battery world supply a bosch GM part?

13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Just the same battery in Nickle metal hydride. As stated they even put my old plug on for me. I'm sure they will help you out if not I could get the store details where I got mine and they will help you.

14. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    oh ok, now I understand, you paid $80 for a replacement battery in NiMH. I ended up paying around $30 AUD to get the right battery from the UK (still waiting for it to arrive). I have to solder the tiny pug on to the battery when it arrives, before putting it back into the siren. I think we're lucky to the siren with this battery, at least its a straight forward job. The later version Ferrari sirens fitted to the 360 and some late 355s (I understand) have the battery solder on and is not really serviceable like our one.

Qavion and Beetle like this.
  15. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    New replacement battery arrived and all back together. I had to solder the old connector on to the new battery. The negative wire was quite corroded but I had to use it because I had trouble getting a replacement mini connector. Next I will be putting back in the car to see if the LED has gone out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MAD828 likes this.
  16. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Anxious to hear weather your LED issue resolved with the battery swap. Thanks for the post.

17. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    Yes, replaced the alarm siren and took the car for a drive this weekend, happy to report all good and the LED light does not stay on while driving.

Just to note, when i disconnected the siren the first time, it did not go off (no sound). With the new battery, doing the same thing made the siren scream, so i had to reconnect and disarm using the remote. Also, during the repair, i did not disconnect the main battery.

Qavion likes this.
  18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    A little note. it's best to disconnect all power whilst doing any repairs. This will assist in any damage or fuses being blown

19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Good thread, my 96 seems to still be working but it may be worth checking it out and replacing before a bigger problem happens. Thanks for the link to the battery.

Beetle likes this.
  20. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    yes good idea, if yours has lasted all this time, i would change it. Its likely to have corrosion on it now, but still working. Mine was original and the battery lasted 20 years. I would go for the NiCad battery, they are really hard to get but at least they will last another 20 years. The place i got it from were great, they sent it straight away but it still took over a week to arrive.

Beetle likes this.
  21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Shout out to Dave at Sticky RX....If you need one of these batteries, I received one ordered through Dave with a date code of late 2017.

Dave rocks likes this.
  22. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

Trying to figure out what you did. Do you mean when you connected it for the first time the alarm did not go off? I could not open my original alarm and ended up ordering a new one. Connected it and no sound. So should I disconnect and reconnect then disarm with remote? Was that what you did to make it sound off?

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The battery does need to charge for a bit. Never really thought about that but with power hooked up it should work as designed I would think

24. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    when i disconnected the siren for repair, it did not make any sound. Presumably this was because the backup battery had failed (although it did have a voltage of 8.4V when i tested it later). When i put the siren back in the car after repair, i connected it to the wire harness on the car. All good at this stage, no alarm going off. I then disconnected the siren cause the wire was tangled, and then it went off (alarm sounding). So i then connected it back and hit the button in the fob to stop the noise.

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes if working properly once connected if you try to disconnect it will go off.
    I can confirm this with my setup as well.