355 Battery | FerrariChat

355 Battery

Discussion in '348/355' started by Roth, Oct 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    #1 Roth, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    It is well known modern civilizations can not exist without electricity. In fact the seperation between us and our ancestors the caveman is not the invention of the wheel. Our ancestors invented the wheel to get away from their nagging significant other but that’s a debate I do’t even want to get into. What separates us from our cave ancestors is actually the discovery of electricity. Electricity is everywhere. In the air. In the ground. It’s even in our DNA. But having discovered electricity and ways to harness it is only half the equation. The other half is the ability to store and use it anywhere anytime. Thus the creation of batteries. They come in small and large sizes. They are round and square. They are red and yellow. We have them at home. It’s with us everywhere we go. We use it to do work. I. Search for buried treasures. And some of us use it to heighten pleasure. OK guys let’s not elaborate on this one. I was in a coma for a week after looking at pics in the “interesting 355” thread. But batteries like all things in this universe decay overtime. But being the smartest creature we are in this know galaxy, we created battery chargers and we make lots of different ones. Perhaps not such a smart thing to do. Deciding which is right is like picking a card out of a full deck. So here, I am obligated to share my experience and limited understanding to help sort the deck in our favor or at least take the jokers out the possible selections.

Battery chargers,, tinders and maintainers are all the same in that they charge batteries. Electrical Manufacturers like to confuse consumers with the names. They trick consumers into thinking they need all the different ones. I will try to debunk this this idiotic pop culture. But before I go on, a little disclaimer. Comments below is my opinion and only mine. I was not coerced or tortured to do this. I am aware and my mind is not altered by any form of a controlled substance at the time of this writing.

What is a battery tinder, maintainer? Like the name says, it maintains a battery at the charged level when the car it’s in is not in use. A battery that sits for some times will deplete by a certain percentage. A tinder, maintainer compensate the depletion by charging it back up then maintain the battery at full status. Technically speaking, a battery tinder, maintainer is a battery charger that charges at low charging rate. An amp or even less I would say. A higher rate charging device is a battery charger . Most have amps selector switch for different rate of charge. The higher setting charges a battery quicker but not ideal since heat can reduce the charger and the battery life expectancy. The lowest charging setting between an amp or two, acts like a battery tinder, maintainer. THis negates the need for a tinder/maintainer if you have a charger with multiple settings. But realistically, when does anyone ever need a battery charger unless you own a mechanic shop. Your car is a battery charger. You only need to maintain a full charge when the car is not running for a length of time. Furthermore a battery that is prematurely depleted due to misuse likely will not charge back up by any conventional mean. What I’m getting at, from experience, no off the shelf charger able to charge a depleted battery. What I found that surprised me, the charging system in the car is better than any charging device I’ve come across. In fact it’s better than the charging system the auto supply stores use.

After 10 plus years, I replaced the original BMW batteries in my e31 with two yellow top Optima. The reason for the yellow top, my e31 has a huge sound system. In my younger days loud noise was the objective. Today, not so much. The system remains in the car. However less drum in favor of higher surround fidelity. To keep it short, after I replaced the batteries it was in non op. The two yellow tops were completely drained after less than 6 months. I took one to a few auto supply houses. They could bring it back to life so I rigged my nephew 95 bronco into a dual battery charger. It took only 30 minutes. The charging system in the bronco brut charged it back to life1. Enough to start the massive e31 engine and charged the second battery to full capacity. From my experience, I wouldn’t waste money on a battery charger as they have limited use. I would rather get a cheaper battery tinder/maintainer. I’m all ears if I’m wrong or missing something. :)

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Roth, you need to get off the Pepsi. :)

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    ...and stay away from Tinder (your phone's predictive function betrays your private life) :p

4. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Gentlemen, I hope you find this informing on your next battery charger purchase.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #5 308 GTB, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Yes. I've learned that some depleted batteries can come alive with the use of a battery charger.

:)

6. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    What I hate is when I accidentally let one of my car batteries to go completely dead (I know, I know!!!), if I hook up my (almost) top-of-the-range computer controlled charger, because the thing is totally dead the charger does not recognise it as a battery and so will not do anything. So I then have to go round to my neighbour to borrow his basic charger, which i think would charge your thumbs if you connected them, to get it to the point where my charger will actually start. Technology that is just too clever for its own good just pi**es me off!