355 Berlinetta cracks | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Berlinetta cracks

Discussion in '348/355' started by PAR8HD, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I don’t really think anyone except us notices...

Even then, the overall event and experience (of the car) trumps any of the quirks.

Robb

Dave rocks likes this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    My 98 has very thin cracks on one side. Dr colorchip made them less noticeable. It’s a non issue.
    Move on, they’re all going to get it.

Pangea, MAD828 and Dave rocks like this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Personally I do not think they will all get them I think a lot of them get these cracks from incorrect engine outs putting additional stress on the buttresses because of poor blocking. But as I said that is justme. Other cars had these show8ng up at 10 years, many of us have 20 year old cars without them so I think they could be induced much quicker with poor servicing techniques.

4. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Is there any discussion anywhere that what they used to bond these panels together? Mine (348) has issues both sides, RH side is now on state needing attention. Curious to know if theres something you can do to them to prevent that happening again?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    In the archives someone posted the repair procedure for the 355 that was supposedly approved by Ferrari in the U.K. it involved doubling the existing number of spot welds connecting the fender to the c pillar. The heat will damage the paint and require repainting at least the rear half of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, as I'm looking to do a full bare metal respray of my 95, I've discussed this in detail with a shop and gentlemen who has 35+ years experience with Ferrari coachworks. He highly advised against welding. He stated it's an area designed to flex. I plan to take his recommendation.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There was, but I couldn't find it. I seem to recall it was in a Bradan thread or post? Whomever it was, they did a complete repair from inside, prior to a full repaint.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I can't speak for a 348, but on a 355, I don't think you can do anything from the inside as you can't get to that seem thru the quarter panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Interesting input. I’m pretty ocd, and this is one thing that hasn’t bothered me.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    They shoul have stayed with the way they did it on 3x8s; a little bead of black silicon along the seem.

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Fully agree.

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Uh....No. :)

tres55 and taz355 like this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if a 355 doesn't have them id be weary

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My GTS does not have them and there is good reason ;)

taz355 likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mine doesnt have them anymore - cuz i fixed them. i have before and after pics in my file in case my family ever needs to sell my car

Qavion, taz355 and bcar1 like this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My spider doesn't have them, never did, never will.

tatry68 and PhilB like this.
  18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is interesting. I saw the posted document about 6 or 7 years ago here on Fchat. The product bulletin and procedure was on Ferrari UK letterhead IIRC. It clearly showed with line drawings adding spot welds, but as your photo shows, doesn't look possible

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The spot welds done by some are on the outside, in the location that Wade shows the caulk above.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The drawings or photos in the product bulletin I saw clearly showed welds from below, not from above. It also stated that complete refinishing is required due to heat damage to the paint

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Interesting. From this parts diagram view, perhaps there is a way to get to it. I'll ask a tech for the bulletin. I'll also have a another look when I get a chance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It was a Ferrari UK bulletin, not sure if it was released for NA or any other market...if I had the time, I would search the archives here and the other forum and see if it turns up....

24. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hello all. I’m new to the 355 community with a 1995 Berlinetta that has the usual hairline cracks running the entire length of both buttresses, with some paint bubbling beginning on the left side from water infiltration. I’ve heard lots of ideas and stories about how to fix this, but I’d really like to speak directly to someone who has fixed several of these with good results and without the cracks reappearing a few years later. Anyone know who this individual or shop may be?

It’s a tough choice because the car has relatively low mileage (18k) with the original single-stage paint still on it, which would be a shame to mess with, but I’m growing increasingly concerned about the paint bubbling and further water infiltration which could lead to rust... It would appear that any proper fix will have to wait for the next engine-out service. Oh the joys of 355 ownership! Love the car though!

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome !
    I have a small amount of this as most people here do. I don’t get the car dirty enough to ever have to wash it with water and don’t drive in the rain, so I leave mine alone. But mine aren’t bad enough to have any real concerns.

Can you post photos of yours ?