355 Berlinetta cracks | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 Berlinetta cracks

Discussion in '348/355' started by PAR8HD, Jan 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont get it - same as respraying a front bumper. get it done right and document it. why you would want cracks on your car is beyond me.

2. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Obviously nobody wants cracks in any cars paint, but the paint is only factory-original once and that’s a big deal. If it can be fixed properly without having to respray a portion of the car, then I’d like to know about it. Thanks for your input.

3. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I take back what I said about whole length of the buttresses (c-pillars), the hairline cracks are about 4-5” long on each side. You can’t see anything on the right side until you’re a foot away, and about 3ft on the left side. Here are some photos...

Attached Files:

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for posting. Those are different than mine. Mine are on the rear bonnet side of the buttress and are just hairlines without the corrosion your pictures show.
    If it were mine, I’d keep the car dry like I do mine and only use detail spray to clean it after each drive and put it under a cover in the garage. Water is your enemy at this point. As long as it doesn’t get worse I’d let it be.

It’s a tough call between original paint and doing a respray.

phrogs and bullmrkt.ian like this.
  5. bullmrkt.ian

bullmrkt.ian Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2014
    Dayton, OH
    Full Name:
    Ian
    You can seal the cracks with a strip of blue masking tape when you wash, which I’ll do for now...

kenneyd likes this.
  6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bradan has documented this process before on this forum with detailed pictures and explanation. It looked pretty straight forward. Grind the paint from seam, spot weld the length of the seam with little space between spots, smooth out welds, and paint the area effected with good blending. Results looked great from what they showed.

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    That Left had side appears to have some corrosion under it.

I'd get that fixed.
    Original paint isn't a big deal to me Corrosion is.

Pangea likes this.
  8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    If you really don't want to do anything to the paint you might want to do what is shown above in post #68. This was done on the early 348's and is not caulk as stated but rather seam tape. It is the same as what they put in the body mid section joint (not sure if this is the same width though). I have one of those early cars and the original stuff is still good and not really that noticeable. It would cover the crack and seal from water as well. Seems Ferrari was aware of this possible cracking before they even released this body shell.