355 Brake Bleeding | FerrariChat

355 Brake Bleeding

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F1Charlie, Aug 31, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Charlie

F1Charlie Rookie

Jul 23, 2022
    Hello all, I know there are several threads on here regarding bleeding the brakes for the 355, but there's a LOT of different takes and a lot of extra info that is not strictly about brake bleeding in those so I'm starting a new one here as I am following the consensus procedure but still having a bit of a problem.

1998 355 F1

Consensus seems to be to just have the ignition on while pumping the brakes, watching the reservoir, and bleeding each set of screws. Great, that's working, sort of. I'm finding it is taking varying amounts and quite a lot more pumping than I would expect to get the brakes to bleed or flow consistently. My pedal is very firm while I am doing this but it just seems like it's taking a great deal of pressure to get any flow and on two of the 8 screws I'm hardly getting anything to come out. I have never had a problem with the brake system, no warning lights, everything seems to be in order I'm just not entirely confident in this process as it seems to be resisting me more than I would expect. I've run clean fluid through all screws except two (Right front and rear outsides). Anyway, I may just repeat the process to be sure but any thoughts on why I'm getting so much resistance?

Thanks for anyone willing to help.

2. F1Charlie

F1Charlie Rookie

Jul 23, 2022
    I also have the WSM which does say that you should use an SD1, so if someone wants to come along and say that you really can't do it properly without the computer, I'm ok with that answer as well, just seems like a lot of people have been satisfied with their traditional method with ignition to II.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have a pressure bleeder that I connect at the reservoir and pressurize. It feeds fluid to the master as the pressure pushes out old fluid. If I have a bleeder that does not flow well (the fronts flow faster than the rear) then I will push the pedal and see if that moves the restriction. I have clear hose and if it moves, it is usually a white flakes and chunks. If I have an outside bleeder not flowing, it is usually the lower crossover pipe clogged. I have removed many to clear them. I have had one that I had to replace as it would not clear. If neither bleeder moves fluid it is more than likely the rubber hose collapsing internally and will need to be replaced. It is very common for me to have bleeders that do not flow. If I have white flakes or chunks, I then remove the pressure and take the lower crossover tube off and the bleeders out. I will then blow air through the caliper and have all kind of white chunks fly out. I had a really bad one recently and you could hear crackling and they were being blown out. I use brake cleaner to get it all out if I need to. It is an issue I see a lot of. I don't use key on or SDX to bleed. I will test the ABS afterwards to confirm there are no issues. I have never had an ABS issue with my bleeding procedure.

F1Charlie likes this.
  4. F1Charlie

F1Charlie Rookie

Jul 23, 2022
    This is exactly the information that I needed. Thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. F1Charlie

F1Charlie Rookie

Jul 23, 2022
    Can I also ask what your order of operations is? I’m used to furthest from master inward (RR, LR, RF, LF), but WSM does say to begin in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I don't really pay attention to which one is first or last. I like doing the rear first just because they are slower. That is just me though.