355 Brake Disk upgrade | FerrariChat

355 Brake Disk upgrade

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by basher, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    Anyone done this ? Was hoping to get drilled disks and some fast road pads to improve braking a little.....did look at Brembo brake upgrade (F50 brakes) but at £4k i think not at the moment...disks only really needed as i dont track the car that often.....

Any ideas .....esp on alternatives as no doubt Ferrari will want about £4k per corner or some silly astonomical number......

Thankyou

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

Doesn't Verdi offer a Fiorano brake upgrade?

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    are you sure you aint a shareholder in verdis he he he

4. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    You could go for the 355 Challenge barkes ?
    Or I know AP do a racing upgrade for the 355 too, not sure of cost though ?

Seb

5. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    To be honest I don't think the fiorano breaks are that much better than standard. They are just drilled discs. i still find them a little weak vs the over overall car performance expectation. The one thing I cn say however is that they have never faded on me after some repeated hard use at Nordschleife and especailly Spa. I have heard that std 355 breaks fade during track days. If that is the case then that is the only advantage and if you are going to splash some cash you might as well go for something with more impact i.e. bigger discs.

6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Tarox are from Italy and are excellent. They do ceramic discs as well.

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I always used std discs but upgraded pads, I used Pagid fast road (cheap from QV!) which were good but the extra friction caused extra heat and warped discs, had them skimmed and they were OK. I subsequently used Raichem pads which was kind of halfway between std and the Pagids.

Personally I wouldn't go for drilled discs, they more cosmetic that functional and frequently crack from the drill holes, I'd be more inclined to run with grooved discs which help to keep the pad face clear of glazing.

I've not used Tarox discs but it might be worth talking ot Mick at QV London, he wasn't overly complimentary about them having fitted many to various Ferraris

btw I have a set of nearly new std discs for sale if anybodys interested

8. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I am also looking to upgrade my 355 brakes (discs/ pads), as I find they fad quickly. I understand Basher has just fitted an upgrade. Has anyone else done so. If so, what have you had done? Recommend it? What cost? Who did it?

Thanks.

9. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hi guys,

Girodisc has just become a sponsor for Ferrarichat, and I wanted to introduce the product to those who may not have seen it.

Girodisc is a engineering company that produces racing brake systems and components. It was formed by myself and Martin Meade. Among other things I was an engineer for Brembo and Martin was an engineer for Porsche for years.

We have OE replacement sized two-piece discs for most modern Ferrari models. the discs are lighter and cool better than the OE parts. They also cost less is most cases!

Have a look at the website for lots more information. www.************.

Below are some pictures of the two-piece F355 front and F360 replacement discs.
    The Girodisc F355 front is 5.6 kg, vs. 8.6 kg for the OE unit.
    The Girodisc F360 weighs 6 kg, and the OE unit is 8.1 kg.
    Both cars lose significant amounts of rotating and unsprung mass and gain ability to cool faster and resist fade longer.
    We tested the 360 rotor on the track in competitive events several times and found no problems, and the performance of the rotors to be exceptional.

We will also have 360 Challenge rotors available at months end after we do a validation test at a track event on the 25th.

I look forward to answering questions and working with the Ferrari community to provide braking solutions for Ferraris as well as many other vehicles.

-Eric

10. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Also to clarify,
    The 355 rear will be offered currently as a slotted one piece OE rotor.
    We have been researching and prototyping two-piece rear rotors for the 355, but we are not satisfied with the product, and we will not sell a comprimised product. the dimensions of the 355 rear rotor leaves little space between the hat section and the caliper, and the hat walls would currently be thinned unacceptably to fit the mounting hardware.

If we can find a two-piece solution we will post the news here.

Stay tuned.
    -Eric