355 bumper OEM vs. Challenge vs REP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 bumper OEM vs. Challenge vs REP

Discussion in '348/355' started by Buckets, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I don't even want to know what that splitter would cost...but could you tell me anyway, just so I can dream?

2. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    I'm also curious about pricing on the lip.

3. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Does anyone know how I can get hold of safetech? I can't find any info on them I'm looking to order a lightweight bumper for my 355

Thanks

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Ken looked into this and said they moved to a smaller facility and tossed their F355 molds.

ShineKen likes this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Correct. Not enough people were buying, so the molds had to go. They were the only company I’ve seen produce a challenge front bumper replica. Every other company produced a lighter-weight OE bumper, but advertised as a “challenge” bumper.

The challenge front bumper has a bigger/wider mouth opening and bigger brake ducts. When installing the OE front grille, it will be short by roughly half an inch each side.

My OE challenge front and rear bumpers are Euro-spec. No side reflectors. Wider license plate area in the rear. I’m also not sure how the fog lights mount to the front bumper. Perhaps a provision needs to be made.

Senshi458 and ruey220 like this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Poo poo I'll store any 348-355 molds

ShineKen likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I wouldve offered to store them as well, but they threw them away before I could get to them.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    How much demand is there for light-weight challenge style bumpers? How heavy are the OE bumpers again? I know the front is pretty damn heavy, so there would be a good amount of weight savings there.

9. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    I read somewhere it's around 60 pounds for the front bumper. Being that it's at the end I'm sure it will be noticeable if you can cut that down to 15 pounds.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    My bumpers were 53lbs front 45lbs rear but also Canadian spec which are heavier than US.

The carbon bumpers are 10lbs front 6lbs rear.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Challenge front bumper - 19.5 lbs

Challenge rear bumper - 21.5 lbs

Much of the weight is the the "re-bar" built into the bumper. The rear bumper has a bigger one than the front.

12. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Are these brake duct extensions on the challenge bumper sold separately? I just recently got a kevlar rep from Eurospares and there is no extension from the bumper, just a hole like the procar rep one above. If I get the brake ducts for the challenge 62975600, will it work with the replica bumper without the extensions coming out?

13. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    This is what I have on my rep bumper, will it work fine with the stock duct? The yellow one is my factory one and the black below is the kevlar
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I believe Eurospares or Superformance in the UK are all selling the same replicas from the same source. OE style bumpers sold as "challenge bumpers."

It looks like they decided not the integrate the "reinforcement bar" portion to reduce weight, but unfortunately, it seems the outer end parts of the re-bar have the proper mounting provisions for the OE brake ducts seen on your OE bumper. There's two parts to the brake ducts. The side that mounts to the bumper and the side that mounts to that brake duct.

On an OE challenge bumper, the bumper-side brake duct is entirely integrated. It is not removable. Actually makes it a pain in the ass to get the bumper on the car.

On the other side of it, which is what is visible inside the wheel well... you can mount your standard OE plastic ducts which has a single outlet or a fiberglass challenge duct, which has two outlets. The easiest thing to do is simply use the standard OE plastic duct with a challenge bumper.

Buying a challenge brake duct with dual outlets will do you no good. Your issue is the ducting on the bumper side, not the wheel well side. You'll have to get creative in figuring how to mount that.

Also, with the challenge dual outlet brake ducts, you'll need the circular carbon disc duct to tube it into. It's a whole different setup.

15. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    thanks for the feedback and confirmation of what i was guessing after trying to figure out how it works. I was at one point going to get the challenge ducts and just go ahead and get the dual ducted hoses to the brakes but I figure that might be an overkill if I am just trying to get the the ducting working with the new bumper and I was fine with the standard 355 brake ducts.

Are the standard ones fine for occasional tracking or are they only good for street use? I figure one day at the track here and there if I'm not doing competition racing the stock ones will do just fine?

Shall I just have my body shop fiber weld the OEM ducts to the stock bumper and call it a day?

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Decided to pull out my front and rear challenge bumpers (euro spec; no side reflectors, wider rear license plate area.)

Here are detailed pics inside to show/prove what Eurospares, Superformance/ RNR is selling isn’t reproductions of challenge bumpers, but lighter weight versions of standard bumpers with key provisions missing.

Challenge front does work with OE/standard brake ducting. I confirmed it during a test fitting section. My photos don’t show the mounting brackets, but I do have them (off the bumper).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    OCKlasse and 308 GTB like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #45 ShineKen, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Quickest way to spot a “challenge” front bumper from a standard bumper is the “thin” pillar which makes up the side of the mouth. Challenge bumpers have a wider mouth; wider “smile.” This is to accommodate a wider (more square-ish) brake duct opening.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Main reason why the Eurospares bumper doesn’t have proper brake ducts is because the ducts are supposed to be integrated later to complete the production process. This requires more finishing work and properly joining seams. It is added later and not made as one because you wouldn’t be able to pull the bumper from the mold as the ducts are a hinderance. Not adding the duct is either laziness or lack of thought.

Duct adding/seam integration can be seen in this NOS bumper.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rothbauer_Racing likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    In short, if people are paying $5k for light-weight “non-challenge” bumpers, my “challenge” bumpers should be worth $15k each :).

I can have this problem fixed once and for all.

OCKlasse and 308 GTB like this.
  24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Qavion and ShineKen like this.