355 climate control - Air direction not working | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 climate control - Air direction not working

Discussion in '348/355' started by dkilka, Dec 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Guess I will run the flap in "manual" for a while. Never know how long the replacement will survive anyway :-(

2. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I think there might be more to the problem than just the ECU. I have two ECUs and neither changes the diverter. I had one just rebuilt by the company recommended on FChat and it still does not work so wondering if it is a sensor. My outside temp works but wondering if one of the system senors does not work, it goes into the default mode which is the defrost mode.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I like to resurrect this thread. I have read through my service manual and do not find the reference "let the car relearn with AC off" above anywhere. Can someone actually confirm a reset procedure ?

4. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Check your tumbler motor under the dash. I eventually pulled mine and powered the motor with a 12v source, it made
    lots of noise but the bar didnt turn. looking for a new motor for mine now.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It sounds more like the Motronics ECU reset. Is the AC ECU sophisticated enough to be reset by power cycling (like a home computer)?

My favourite part of this thread is:

Good luck finding an air direction actuator at any price (new or second hand)! These cars are getting to the age where all plastic components are disintegrating.

There are a few messages in this thread asking how to check the air direction actuator. There's another long thread here with lots of information on this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-owner-with-ventilation-problem.514304/

6. Sean f355

Sean f355 Rookie

Apr 9, 2015
    How do I get one of those

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Slight resurection in thread.

When I had my car inspected, it was noted that the recirc flap was not working. Having just spent some time diagnosing this one, its the platsic boss, that can now be replaced with the brass one from Hills. This part is now on order, should get it this week hopefully!

In doing some diagnostics, I took the recirc flap motor off, and pressed the closed/open button on the control panel to see if it was the motor at fault. Whilst the motor works, I did notice that it does not stop, just rotates depending on which direction its going in. I couldnt stop it by hand.

My questions are:
    1) how does the motor know when to stop? Does it stop on resistance and hence the plastic bosses break with fatigue over time?
    2) when I reinstall the boss, flap and motor, do I need to align the flap at any particualr orientation, or will the motor take care of this?

Much appreciated

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    1) Mechanical stop. No electrical shut off.
    2) No. Motor will take car of it.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Thank you.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the boss doesn’t align with the flapper door pivot, you may need to support/ position the door with a loop of fine thread. i.e. something you can cut and slide out later.

A348W likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Replacement boss turned up super quick from Superformance as always.

Easy install; took about 10 minutes. Just need to put the trim back together.

Unfortunately I can’t get the iPhone to focus enough; but you can see a very small inclusion on the plastic boss, which obviously doesn’t help, although it would always fail given how it operates.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login