355 Clutch Housing Bearing (Pumpkin) | FerrariChat

355 Clutch Housing Bearing (Pumpkin)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Beetle, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hello All
    Is there an Interchange PtNo for the bearing that is in the clutch pumpkin housing or is this readily available through a bearing supplier?(The Bearing at the rear most part of car under the little cap) I make the PtNo out as SKF 3208 A-2RS2TN9/C3HT22?
    Can someone please clarify this Bearing No. I have done a search and found nothing? I have all the other bearings and O Rings
    Thanks in adance

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Beetle likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Beetle likes this.
  4. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Another recommendation for MD Clutches. I have one of their pumpkin bearings (and a kevlar clutch)

Beetle likes this.
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Beetle likes this.
  6. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Thanks guys much appreciated I will get on to SKF and NTN today

Pangea likes this.
  7. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Wow in stock 1 hr up the road so i bought 2 @ $33 each??? very supprised that these are so expensive through regular channels

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Please post the P/N or photo of the box

9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    NTN 5208S not identical in characteristics but extremely close and i don't see it as being an issue. 80mmx40mmx30.2mm

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    What are the suffixes of the bearing? It is easy to find a sealed bearing in this size but not easy to find the required rpm and operating temperature. I don't have the info on the max. rpm of the correct SKF bearing (SKF 3208A-2RS 1TN9/C3 H22) but its temperature rating ("H22") is 140C. The closest I could find in my local bearing shops was SKF 3208A-2RS 1TN9/C3 MT33 with temperature rating ("MT33") of 120C.

NTN catalogue shows that their 5208S CZZ LLM is limited to 5,600 rpm and there is no info on max. temperature.

Qavion likes this.
  11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Parts counter guys often provide "equivalent" and when you look up the details, they are far from. Be careful with this.

Beetle and MAD828 like this.
  12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    From what I have been told it's only the seal and grease that are the variant? Extra temp by 20C, RPM increase is due to the grease used. Example if seal is melted from.extra heat it fails and grease comes out leaving bearing dry. There is no construction difference? Could be bad info though

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I managed to find full info on the SKF 3208A-2RS1 TN9/C3 HT22 flywheel bearing (I earlier wrongly typed H22 for the grease, HT22 is correct).

Speed Rating: 8,000 rpm
    2RS1 - Nitrile rubber seals
    TN9 - Fibreglass reinforced Polyamide cage
    C3 - Radial internal clearance greater than Normal (C2 is smaller than Normal, C4 greater than C3)
    HT22 - High temperature grease, Lithium Complex Soap (mineral base oil), up to 140C

The bearing I found (SKF 3208A-2RS1 TN9/C3 MT33), same as above except grease: MT33 - Lithium Soap (mineral base oil), up to 120C

Another SKF bearing that appears to be of slightly higher specs than 3208A-2RS1 TN9/C3 HT22 is 3208A-2RS2 TN9/C3 VT113

The differences in 3208A-2RS2 TN9/C3 VT113:

Seals are 2RS2 - as 2RS1 but of Fluorocarbon rubber for higher temperatures
    Grease is VT113 - High temperature grease, Lithium Complex Soap (mineral paraffinic base oil), up to 140C [I don't know what the difference is between "mineral base oil" of HT22 and "mineral paraffinic base oil" of VT113]

Qavion and Beetle like this.
  14. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Bugger all difference really at the end of it. Not being a smarty pants the bearings at the flywheel would be subject to way more heat abuse compared to the rear bearing. If you were careful removing the seals you could flush and repack the bearing with a high temp quality grease and it would be fine. What are your thoughts?

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I was just looking at the X-1R Plum Crazy grease cartridge that I have, good for up to 260C, and having the same thoughts as you. However, the speed rating remains a concern; 8,000 rpm SKF, 5,600 rpm NTN (unless the max. rpm of the NTN bearing will go up with better grease?). Another point to consider is the C3 clearance of the SKF which is "greater than Normal", selected by Ferrari, I'm sure, for a reason. If the NTN bearing has "Normal" clearance (smaller than C3) then this could potentially be a problem (too tight for the application?).

16. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    This bearing says C3? I'm going to remove seals, flush and repack with hi temp grease. I have the seals off and it has the same cage as the original. The only difference I can find is oil feed or grease packed for rpm difference. My old flywheel bearings had standard black seals NO Vito hi temp! There fine. I know I'm going to upset people here but these bearings are all the same except the seal and grease that's it and I'm happy to be proven wrong?.
    If the standard bearing at the flywheel can cope with the extreme heat and Rpm then this bearing will be no dramas at all.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Why modify the bearing? Just purchase the proper one. Contact SKF, provide the numbers I posted and I'm sure they can figure out what bearing it is.

When I say "contact SKF", I mean SKF, not a distributor.

18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    It's different grease and a different seal compound that's it!!! As I said happy to be proven wrong. I would like someone to prove me wrong then I can justify spending $300 bucks on a bearing in sted of $33 bucks for a bearing with different grease? All I'm getting at is that just because a car has a brand name why should we be ripped for parts? My other statement stands. 2 standard bearings subjected to extreme heat and high rpm at the flywheel are fine. I'm replacing those 2 with the Viton seals because I know they will get a beating but the back one I'm going to give it a flush and repack with high temp grease

19. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    A factor rarely mentioned in threads such as this is that almost every car will NOT be driven that hard/far. How long do you actually stay at 8000rpm anyway (if ever for a lot of people) Many of my customers are shocked that I run a long and thorough test drive before and after service, which includes a very spirited run through the gears, and a brief spell up to (and maybe beyond.......) 120-130 mph. The comment is almost always, "Wow, I've never driven it that fast". A slightly (maybe) inferior spec. is unlikely to be an issue, proven many times in the infamous Porsche IMS debates.

Beetle likes this.
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I assume you are arriving at the price of $300 from a Ferrari part source? If you can obtain the proper SKF part number, you should be able to procure from a bearing supplier for much less.

21. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Im with Dave. 300 bux will sound real cheap when a flushed and repacked bearing fails. Elliott nails it in the 1st response. Mad dog clutches in the uk supplied mine and the piece of mind to know its the right part for the job vs saving 267 dollars. Just my opinion but it is what it is.

Beetle likes this.
  22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Given I'm going to need the bearing also, I've send an email to SKF.

Beetle likes this.
  23. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Approx 160 UK pound plus postage will surpass $300 aud. I agree totally with Brian's comments. It's not about being miserable with money. MD clutchs make amazing stuff and Andrew is super helpful. I'm just trying to understand the difference in the product. If the repacked bearing fails I will advise and then I will have been proven wrong .

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    SKF responded to me email:

3208 A-2RS2TN9/C3HT22 replaced by 3208 A-2RS2TN9/C3VT113

I've asked "What are the differences?" and will post when I receive a reply.

Beetle and Qavion like this.
  25. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    3208 A-2RS2TN9/C3VT113 is the same part referenced by Andrew on his 348 flywheel rebuild thread.

Qavion likes this.