355 Competition Grill Question ? | FerrariChat

355 Competition Grill Question ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by mjsdas, Aug 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjsdas

mjsdas Rookie

Jul 22, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Sheridan
    I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 1998 F355 Spider that has a competition grill in the back. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the grill or replace it with the solid painted piece that matches the car. Can anyone provide me feedback on the pros or cons of the competition grill? Any advice of where I can purchase the solid back panel? Thanks.

2. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Firstly Welcome to FChat,

The 'Challenge' rear grill is usually seen as a desirable option because of it's connection with the Challenge Cars. It's functional too, as lets a greater amount of engine heated air to escape through the small mesh holes than would normally be removed with the solid body coloured panel in place.
    Even on standard 355's there is a strip of the same material, (approx, 1.5" - 2.0" wide), that is designed to release the hot air anyway.
    Downside is - I have heard of some the panels starting to corrode after some time as it only has a thin matt coating that can't be protected aswell as other parts of the body ? Can be replaced, but not cheap unless the std. panel came with the car ?

All the Best,

Seb

3. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    The Challenge grill seems to have better airflow and let's the car run a bit cooler, but if you don't like it I'm sure it would easy to sell. I just purchased one and was going to put my painted grill on EBAY, FofLI said it goes for $1400, I was going to sell mine for $400 PM me if your interested.-MICHAEL

4. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    PM me if you are interested in selling your challenge rear grill. thanks.