355 cranks but wouldn't start | FerrariChat

355 cranks but wouldn't start

Discussion in '348/355' started by ametelsky, Jun 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ametelsky

ametelsky Rookie

May 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Almost got stranded last night.

'98 355 spider, 75 degree air temperature, started from cold no problem, idled until air induction stopped whining, drove less than 1 mile, below 4000 rpm. Parked and shutdown for 2 1/2 hours, after it would not start. Cranking was fast and strong, but no hint of life at all - like no spark. Tried a few times, checked engine bay for obvious stuff - everything was normal. Tried a few more times (getting a crowd at this point) and got just a hint of a cough - then back to just crank and no life. maybe 2 more minutes total cranking in 20 second tries, and if coughed and sputtered to life. Warmed and drove home 20 miles with no issues at all - normal idle and normal power all the way up to redline. At home I tried several hot starts with no problem - this morning tried a few cold starts, no problem.

I don't know what to think, but am afraid I'm on borrowed time on some component. Does anyone have any thoughts? If it was an older carbureted car, I might think vapor lock, but it also didn't even sort of catch on the first turn of the key... Makes me think no spark, but with the dual coils... Any ideas would be welcome.

Also, I don't think I've ever driven such a short distance - I've moved the car - starting it and gingerly applying throttle to re-park without any warming. I've certainly driven 5 miles or much more, and then shut down fairly hot. This was odd in that I only just got warm and then shut down. 'Course that may be totally irrelevant as well...

Thanks,

Alan

2. ksim

ksim Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    West London
    Full Name:
    Kwang
    I think you need to take it to a garage, could be anything. Fuel pump?

good luck

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Check your ground cables, and check to see if there are any engine codes stored in the ecu.

4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Also, check the 2 Motronic relays (sensors/ actuators power supply relay & fuel pump relay). If one of these relays is out of order, the car wont be able to start. Just a thought ...

5. ametelsky

ametelsky Rookie

May 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    After plenty of run time and no troubles, I got nearly stranded again. A bit of time with a fuel pressure gauge and multimeter brought me down to the fuel pump relay. Relay changed out, and all seems well. Good thought Eric!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Alan

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Good lookin out Eric, and glad to hear it's fixed.

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Glad to read it works now.
    A bit of luck on this one :) but starting by the easiest things is a good practice for problem investigation

8. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This makes me want to buy a complete set of relays and fuses just to keep in the cars. I wonder how much that would go for as a package set. Daniel, this could be a good seller? It would pay for itself the first time you get stuck.