355 engine 40,000 kms What PROBLEMS | FerrariChat

355 engine 40,000 kms What PROBLEMS

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mr355, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr355

Mr355 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Is 40,000 kms to much for a 1996 model
    what things usually go wrong around this stage in it'a life
    what major cost's are involved with future mainatance being the car has done this many Kms . Just about every 355 I see has 10-30kms only. So I am worried to purchase It at so many Kms because I amay find it hard to sell after. Any one with some experience with This many Kms.

Thanks

Ben

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I would not necessarily be worried about the miles/K's. This actually could fair better than a 355 that has been sitting and not driven.

I would look and make sure all service has been done - and if they have had the 30K engine out recently. If it has been 2+ years - you will figure that you will need to do an engine out shortly. Which runs (US) 5 - 10K depending on any issues.

Just do a good PPI - from a knowledgable mechanic. And understand that since this is a little higher miles than what you have looked at - it will be a little lower in price.

Since Ferraris are made to be driven - I would not let the miles detour you - In the F-cars I have owned - I have spent more money on Garage Queens getting them road ready - than those with more miles. However, most people sell them - just before the major service - so not to have to shell out the $'s for the service - since they are selling. This car should have had the 15K and 30K service - due to age at this point.

Hope that helps...

Also - there are several threads on this topic - which goes into more details - do a search on 355 Service... I had a post recently (355 Engine Out Service) that detailed my 355 spider service, cost and what they did...

Rich

3. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    From my personal experiences, I would say if the car has 15K (GBP) or 20K(USD) equivalent in receipts for everything from manifolds, clutches, brakes, ECUs, valve guides, connolising etc etc etc - then you know the car has been looked after. After all at 8 years old things are going to start perishing (in my experience) and as long as people have addressed the issues along the way it should soften the blow for you.. with my car(@ 7 yrs old) It seems like I was left to pick up the bill for most things going wrong... my fault for taking a car with very little money spent on it.

Is that a fair analysis?

Just in my experience/opinion
    Ade