355 Engine and Trans For Sale on Bring A Trailer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Engine and Trans For Sale on Bring A Trailer

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jasonberkeley, Dec 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The cams are different as well as sensor validity up to SN 38321. So is 38322 still 2.7?

Seems odd you would have the same 2 Motronic ECU's and at some point only one needs a cam sensor.

taz355 likes this.
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not sure where the info in that post or Ricambi's site would have came from then. Maybe Ricambi has some insight.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    From what I see, the pistons are all P/N: 159141

4. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    The anticipation is killing me....

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Lmao I understand they are all the same part number, even the thread I linked the last response was someone looking at all the same part number pistons but coming across 'correct' and 'incorrect' ones as far as weight.

From linked thread-

"We found all part numbers etc were unchanged, merely red dot or green dot, no-one could explain but there was indeed as you guys found clear differences between the current supply and what was in the engine.'

That and the notation of weight by the pistons sold by Ricambi would seem to mean there are 2 different piston weights and 1 piston part number.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's a very rare occurrence if true (I did not look at the threads you posted). Most of the time, the P/N is supper seeded to a new number, for even the smallest of changes.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Check out the thread and other link when you get a chance, would seem that is the case but agreed it's odd the part number would not change.

8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    And there’s a lesson in values for you... $11,500 plus action fees. Still a decent deal for the buyer in my opinion.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I was going to jump in @14k. have a couple spare bullets already I'm trying to liquidate

:)

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's what the parts diagram says. I'm not sure of the engine number, but my car is a 95, 2.7 and has a single cam sensor. The signal is shared by both ECUs. 38321 is when they removed the cam sensor mount from the LH head as well.

INTMD8 likes this.
  11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Gotcha, didn't know the later ones shared a sensor. Is yours a single pump car?

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep. But I don't know if the changes occurred at the same time (cam sensors and fuel pumps).

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dont agree with you Brian but only because I am not trying to flip it. You would know the market netter than me but if I bought it it would be for a spare. I all ready got a spare transmission cheap for my F1.
    A spare engine and transmission to resell is likely a good deal but just tthe buy it and have it sit for 10 years for a spare for ME only would not be.
    I think thas why people are so different in their pricing.

Had I not bought the transmission I could have justified 11 or 12 for both.

Which I think would have been a good deal. At the 7500 I was going to buy it but it went for more than I was Willing to spend just to,shelve it for a decade.
    Just explaining my point of view thats all.

14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don’t know what there is to agree or disagree with. Your personal need for one doesn’t set the current market price.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I guess i disagree thatthe market is as high as you say but again that depends whether we are talking asking pices or actual selling prices.

16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m talking about actually sales and you just watched that one sell for nearly $13k all in. What more do you need to understand the current value?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that's about right, I had opportunity to buy perfect ones out of a wrecked car 10 years ago for $8k. They were worth more back then, but I still wouldn't have done anything with it.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Clearly Brian has been parting cars out for a while and knows the market which quite frankly suprises me too. Example - what the hell could possible go wrong to warrant replacing throttle bodies? It's hard for me to believe there is such a demand for used 355 engine parts.

I registered to bid and thought about going to $10K then decided that I'm way too busy to be parting out a motor.

I watch parts daily on ebay and from memory, 2 other motors are listed for 10 or 10.5 and I think they have been sitting for a while.

19. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I can tell the last two sets of throttle bodies I sold were not going back on 355 engines. People build adapters and use them to ITB other engines. That said, I probably have 2 or 3 more sets if anybody wants to try a project like that.

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have been looking for an engine and tranmission for 10 years and can only go by what I have seen and generally an engine is about 10k and a transmission. Is about 5.
    I have also seen many not sell for years such as the one that wants 10k plus your core.

This is why I only got a transmission less than a year ago.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If you need one today expect to,pay that, if you dont you can wait and get a better deal eventually.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thats kinda my point I guess Dave is 10k was my high side.
    I still do not understand how cutting out the harness saved them a bunch or time but again as stated I guess its the norm.
    I know if it was me I would have taken the harness off so it was not butchered and in the picture. Too many bandits out their just to trust and once you pay try to get that money back.
    For me its a trust issue.

If i needed one and Brian had it for sale I would have paid 15 for both with a butchered harness but he has a history.