355 exhaust manifolds | FerrariChat

355 exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fazzaz1, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    My 98 355 has its third exhaust manifold on the passenger side and it is now leaking. My mechanic tells me he has replaced 10 to 15 RH exhaust manifolds and never a left side. He also says that Ferrari has not improved the manifold and just provides another one which will also fail in 15k or less. Tubi may have solved the problem but at $4500 it is an expensive fix. Fortunately the emissions warranty on a 98 is 8 years or 80k but if it keeps failing sooner or later you run out of warranty.
    I would like to know of others' experience with this.

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Well firstly this is a common problem which Ferrari tries to rectify by changing the design slightly in 97.

Three things seem to happen.

Firstly the aux air pipes that enter the manifold break at the join and ferrari alterered the design to make the air pipes in a straight rather than a sort of v configuration. This helped a little with that problem.

Secondly, the manifolds themselves, made by Ansa ,are made of very poor quality stainless and the constant cooling cycles coupled with heat shields make the s steel brittle and they break at the joins.

Thirdly, where the tubes that make up the manifold are bent the outer side of the bend is then wafer thin; it is quite common for the exhaust gases to 'burn through' and in this instance it cannot be welded.

Tubi have solved the problem; proper stainless with cut and welded joins.

the other alternative is to contact QV london who offer rebuild manifolds with the proper material and many people are doing this including challenge cars with no reliability issues. Many on this site use them I think its about £500.

I had the same problem but actually decided on tubi because in fact manifolds can fail after 6K I know of one car thats had 3 fitted in 7K.

Whilst your car is under warranty its the hasstle of being off the road and the constant threat of it breaking which is really the only major fault with the car. If I were you I would pay QV or if your feeling wealthy, Tubi, to resolve the problem once and for all, otherwise its a constant cycle.