355 F1 Spider 1998 Euro & Tires | FerrariChat

355 F1 Spider 1998 Euro & Tires

Discussion in '348/355' started by LetsJet, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey all,

First I want to say I did a search on the issue and have read some good posts. But, I have some specific questions....

The car has the factory recommended Bridgestone 01's and a gash in the right front tire that the dealer noticed. He recommended replacing the front tires and an alignment. It seemed to make sense but I've always put Michelin on my cars. I had a vette w/ Goodyears and I had a blowout and a tread / sidewall seperation until I switched to the Michelins. I haven't had any experience with Bridgestone other then the big Bridgestone - Firestone SUV tire issue a few years back. The car seems to handle well and I'm not racing..just the typical havy foot every now and then. When I checked Michelin's website they suggest their "new" Pilot Sport PS2. The thing is they have the 225/40ZR18RF (91Y) that should work for the front but not the standard tire size for the rear. On a recent post it was suggested to change all four to the same tire and this is a problem. The Ferrari dealer will only suggest and place the factory spec tires so they have no advice.

So-

1. Think I should just keep the 01's on?
    2. Go with the Pilot Sport PS2 on front and Sports on rear?
    3. Wait til the sport PS2 comes in the rear size or recommend another size?
    4. Sell the car and buy 1 with good tires?

Thanks in advance - My first question posted on Ferrarichat!

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Anyone want to give me some thoughts?

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Just went through a tire delima myself... A little different - but will be the same advice.

If you have different front and rears - you will be in for a wild ride - you will feel unbeliveably unstable with the different tread/tire.

I went through a interesting saga on my 355 spider - post was a month or so ago - Wayne Ascot was the one to "steer" me in the right direction on this. I had rears that needed replaced - down to about 10% tread. The fronts were still at 90% - I switched out the backs with a different brand (Komoho (sp)), Fronts were Bridgestones... Mother of god - you would have thought I had a steering problem - over 60 mph - the oversteer was terrible... Worked for about 5 hours on the inflation ratio for front/back - it got a little better - but over 80mph - I thought I would reck (and I am not kidding). Switched out the fronts (about 180 each tire) and it was perfect.

I know it will be hard to believe - and I have never never had this problem on my 911's, Jags, BMWs,etc... But the 355 is so interestingly balanced - look at the specs for alignment, etc. I would spend the extra and just put 4 new tires on and be done with it - you will be good for 8 to 10K miles.

just my experience from about 1 month ago... I honestly thought I had a suspension/severe alignment problem for about 1 week - and finally just change the fronts to match the backs and all was perfect again.

Rich

4. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    PS. I meant to say Welcome to F-Chat/Good first question! - It probably took a while to get some replies - a little slow on here tonight :) Good weather in most of the states - everyone was out driving!

Rich

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    LOL............I don't blame them!

Any idea if I can put the Pilot Sport PS2 on front and the Pilot Sport on the rear? They dont make the PS2 in the 265/40....Would this be considered the same tire?

Thanks for replying & good advice. I like the way it handles now and I don't want to scew it up.

6. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why don't you just stick with the 01's. I had the exact same problem when I bought mine. I just changed the front two tries with new 01's to match the rears.

7. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    With the PS2's you can go 275/40's - (that is what I did on the rears). Then just put 1 - 2 psi more in the tire which will be exact to the 265's (there are a few threads on this topic) you can also go 295/35's as well but you might have to raise your suspension in the rear a few turns of the screw to make sure for clearance.

Hope that helps.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks for the input guys,

First, my only issue with the Bridgestone is lack of personal experience with them. I've had two blowouts with my vette (goodyears) and I don't want a repeat. I've never had problems with Michelin. Has anyone had problems with the Bridgestones?

Second, good suggestion on the 275/40's but I want to make sure it's add psi and not reduce?

- Eric

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  10. Nigel_641

Nigel_641 Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    DB
    Hi,

1. No!!! You´re tire is keeping you on the road, always make sure they are in perfect order
    2. Don´t know but wouldn´t recommend 2 different tires on front and back.
    3. You cannot drive while you wait :-(
    4. bit extreme and tyre will need replacement anyway

I did 10000 kms on Bridgestones and 40000kms on Pirelli P Zero Asimetricos (1998 355 Spyder F1). Except in the wet (horrible) the Pirellis give a much better grip and better feel to the car. The Bridgestones (imo) tend to be smudgier / less precise.

DB