355 F1 unit bench test | FerrariChat

355 F1 unit bench test

Discussion in '348/355' started by eulk328, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

saw this on YT today

2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    And that just proves once and for all that the F1 system in the 355 is glorious and just a electromechanical hydraulic selector system, as the transmissions are identical!!

Thank you so much for sharing. I have owned both and find the F1 fantastic to drive, especially in urban environments. Yes, Gated are the kings, but F1 in the 355 is an epic achievement for the time period. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #3 eulk328, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    I don't own an F1 but found it very interesting. Awesome that the guy did this setup and made a video of it.

carnutdallas likes this.
  4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Was it the chunk of 4x4 wood that you like the best?
    Haha, I made that video. Initially I was going to make a circuit board with switches so I can engage each solenoid. But then it said, screw it I'll just use a chunk of wood lol.
    Anyway, I had not been able to find any videos showing how these actuators operated. I know it's quite crude, but I'm hoping that it may help somebody either understand or build their own testing rig if they're ever having F1 issues.

WATSON, carnutdallas and steved033 like this.
  5. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

I think it's 100% "mega" :) The chunk of wood was a great idea as I think it helps people to see and understand whats going on. Granted you could have created a prancing horse on the block of wood, with your wood-burning set, to add some legitimacy.

Certainly think keeping it "crude" or simple takes out some of the fear factor for some folks and makes what you did more relatable. Kudos to you.

As an aside, had you machined a metal gear lever in a metal gate and attached it to the actuator.... well, that would have been legendary!

carnutdallas and kenneyd like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Seems odd to me that EV5 is reverse lockout. It must get pretty warm being almost constantly activated. Or are the solenoids de-energised once the gear has been selected?

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I was thinking about that as well. My assumption is that they are de-energized after the gear has been selected.
    The actuator seems pretty solid, meaning you cannot move it between gears by hand.
    I would imagine that an improperly bled system with air bubbles would wreak havoc as then It allow for movement

WATSON and carnutdallas like this.
  8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    GTE Engineering has built a bench test platform. I remember seeing a photo of it on their website maybe.

They're the guys that can take your full system and rebuild/reseal it for a fraction of the cost of buying new parts from Ferrari.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Apparently they also have some way of making the shifts faster too. Just noticed it on their website.

Surprised they're not a sponsor on here to be honest. But seems they're busy enough without it.

10. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What happened to the member who was reverse engineering the tcu?

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    He still comes around and posts an update here and there.

Personally I don't think there is much to be gained but if the TCU can be recreated cheap then it's a worthwhile cause.

12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Isn’t the TCU already available as a rebuilt unit? They are listed on eBay. It’s not cheap but it’s available and that’s a plus.

tres55 likes this.
  13. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, this company: http://ferrarioc.com/
    They sell the reproduced units. They also can help diagnose TCU issues. I found them very helpful with it.

MAD828 and tres55 like this.
  14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Good to know. I was unaware of this.

Hoping to add an F1 car at some point.

15. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    @kenneyd

I love the video...and kinda had a feeling it was you based on the color of the car in you YT avatar.

The video is epic and thanks for doing that. The red 4x4 is the key. :)

It looks like you put in new solenoids in the hydraulic unit...yes? If so what did you use?

16. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

These are the original solenoids and parts removed from my 99. I had a failed TCU. I thought about buying a new one from FAI when he diagnosed it, but I just love banging gears in that gated shifter
    I've been toying with the idea of just selling the parts

WATSON likes this.
  17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'd keep them. The F1's time will come IMO. Next decade they'll be more sought after than the manuals I think. They're misunderstood and the aftermarket support is only getting better with time.