355 fans replaced with SPAL 30102113 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 fans replaced with SPAL 30102113

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skippr1999, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Guys you should really try the thing I posted

I starts your fan slow so it dont shock your alternator. I use them on everything and have amazing results

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    odd....none of the links are working for me at the moment

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Nice to see the SPAL fans are available with OE compatible connectors ... :)

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Chris I copy and pasted this from the diy sticky maybe they work there.

I used the link several years ago and they worked thats when i researched Hughs stuff.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks, I thought the OP was talking about the alternate SPAL fans, not the oem ones, my fault in not following. Yup, it is my recommendation to use the lower amperage fans...there are literally dozens of users on this forum using them for years, with excellent results. No overheating, even in AZ, NV, CA or FL locations. I ran my car in the Eastern WA desert in 95 degree weather with no issues at all. I did not even notice them running any longer than with the oem, higher output fans.

What folks need to understand is higher output fans are not making the car any cooler. That is regulated by the thermostat in the cooling system and the thermoswitches that turn on the fan motors. Higher output fans will only cool the car down slightly faster. Once they hit the set temperature, they shut off. As Dave Helms told me (and the SPAL tech), the only possible draw back is the lower output fans may run a few seconds longer, but no one seems to notice any difference. The sealed bearing motors are absolutely going to last longer, and draw less current.

I never noticed any difference in the sound...they are all loud in my book. ;)

ShineKen likes this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did not notice them to be quieter either, although my fans were working fine when i replaced them. Maybe if they were failing they would be louder.

7. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Just tried 30102113 on the LHS and did some testing letting the car idle while stationary. It blew the 30 amp fuse on the fourth cycle. I think part of the problem is that with an efficient fan and the rather simple control logic it is only running for about twenty seconds before shutting off, and then coming back on in less than a minute, which is probably building heat in the fuse. Of some concern is that the table on the Spal box gives a fuse recommendation of 40 amps for this fan. I will see how it goes with a new fuse but I think the alternative with a lower current draw may be a more attractive solution.

8. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    ........ but I think the alternative with a lower current draw may be a more attractive solution.[/QUOTE]

+1

9. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am replacing the SPAL stock fans to the SPAL 30102049, but it doesn't have the Delphi connector so i need to put a new one on.

I know the connector is a Delphi Metric-pack 280 series but when i checked the old connector there is some connector holder on it, where can i get a new one? see the picture i attached
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I lopped both ends off and put new 30 amp connectors on both ends.

11. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Great post with lots of information Taz355! Thank you.