355 left rear wheel bearing replacement needed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 left rear wheel bearing replacement needed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cinquevalvole, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    This chat definitely ROCKS! Thanks guys for the info! :-D I ordered my SKF's today yeyyy!

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Usually its the hub shaft that takes the beating. If you buy the part from Ferrari, its a complete hub and bearing assembly, you just bolt it in and away you go. If your hub is worn out, just replacing the bearing will not cure the problem. It make work for a week or so, but then your back to square one.

3. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    That's not my bearing.... The skf i bought 62209-2RS1 is bigger than mine! :-/

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's because that part number came off of an early model 348. Sorry for the confusion.

5. proceres40

proceres40 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rafael López
    Anyone wants to buy the ones i bought??

6. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Resurrecting this thread to see if any progress was made with a reasonably-priced source for 355 rear wheel bearings.

I have managed to get hold of two low-mileage used bearings for a good price, but would prefer to fit new parts. I just don't prefer new parts enough to warrant spending £2k.

The 360 and 430 bearings look very similar, save for the sensors and harnesses hanging off them. Has anyone tried removing the sensor and fitting them to the 355? They are currently much more reasonably-priced.

7. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    ...alternatively, for a little primary investigation, if a 360 or 430 guy could measure the distance between the four mounting holes on the rear face of their wheel bearings, that would be very much appreciated.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Steve, I was able to source 2 NOS bearings off ebay (1 at a time from different sellers) for approx $500-600 each IIRC. I watch ebay parts daily and have not seen other come up since.... (but I usually only look at US listings).

Be sure to check with Eurospares....

9. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Thanks Dave, I've got various eBay search alerts set up, nothing but used parts for absolutely yonks on this side of the pond.

From looking at images on the web, I think there's a good chance the less expensive 360 and 430 parts will fit a 355 with some light modification. I recall a set of 355 centre lock hubs on eBay a while ago which the seller said would also fit 360 and 430, which gives me reason to believe that the mounting holes are the same. After all, as you know, Ferrari haven't changed their sticky interior coatings for decades, so I can't see why they'd change the mount points of their hubs when the PCD and bore also remained the same from 355 to 430.

Next time I'm driving past Maranello Classic Parts, I will pop in and do some measuring :)

10. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Measured a 360 hub. Mounting holes are about 10mm closer together than 355, so that's not going to work.

11. Trav355

Trav355 Rookie

Mar 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    T B
    Ive also noted the 360 hub not aligning. Does anyone know if this bearing+hub shares the part with another car manufacturer of the same age?
    I think it looks very close to what BMW were doing..
    Thanks

Llenroc likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Way back when these cars were just 5 years old or so..I remember trying to figure out what bearing hub they used, as I had one in the shop needing repair. The dealer had no stock back then either. Closest I came to a match was I think a Volvo 8 series. It uses the same bolt pattern also..but the offset was wrong if I remember right..

13. Trav355

Trav355 Rookie

Mar 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    T B
    I have looked into the 850 Volvo but unfortunately it is different. I have just bit the bullet and purchased the original part. Appreciate your help!

14. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #39 Llenroc, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    I have one each front and rear; I got them from a damaged 13000 mile 355 in 2004 for spares for my 355, never used them if anyone needs them.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know the current going prices, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were $1,000 each now.