355 lites dim when I put on the brakes | FerrariChat

355 lites dim when I put on the brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mondial86, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Last nite I as I was driving home in the 355 every time I put on the brakes the lites would dim ,at one point it caused the stero to cut out and then came right back on .The lites also dimed when I would use the blinkers.,also the raido works great untill you run the car then shut it off come back start it up then there is a verr high pitch wine it ,the wine goes up and down in freequeancy as with motor rpm's.I am not sure but I think the light problems only hapen when the radio is doing it's wine thing. any ideas it is a bit wierd

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) Alternator
    B) Battery
    C) Ground

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The 355, especially early ones, have a ground problem with the alternator. To resolve this, on later cars a BIG ground strap was added.

I had the same problem, only worse. After installing the ground strap, when we tested the ground with the engine running, the voltage jumped from ~11v to 13.7v. We installed the revised ground strap from Ferrari ($20! For a wire!), but one suppose you can just wire up a groundstrap yourself. Part # 180904.

For other 355 owners out there, my understanding is that this ground strap is yet another friggin' legendary silent retrofit part from Ferrari, not unlike the sticky throttle cam replacement part. Urgh... Only weeks of frustration. Oh well.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

vty,

--Dennis

4. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I noticed a similar problem on a 99 355. Next time I have the car on a lift I will replace this also. Oh the joys of Ferrari ownership :)
    --tony