News

355 manifolds..email sent to sales..no response..

Discussion in 'MVPEurosports.com' started by SEAL2CC, May 15, 2007.

1. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    Sent email coupl'a weeks ago re. availability/ price of 355 5.2 (1997) manifolds..any info?

Thanks,

Chris

2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Chris,

Hmm double checked the e-mail inbox and did not see anything. I'll check with our admin and make sure there's no problems on our side.

Current availability on 2.7 is about 6 weeks out - 5.2 is about 8 weeks.

If you have any further questions let me know.

Regards,

Kevin

3. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Kevin, whats your view on the nonshielded ceramic headers? I have heard from a few mechanics now that they are causeing problems with other mechanical parts, one of them being the alternator. Too much heat under the hood and onl parts.

4. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We've had two reports so far of alternator issues both on 2.7 manifolds. If the problem becomes more common it is something I am going to look into, until then I would suggest trying to use a custom heatshield around the alternator area and wrapping it in heatwrap to try to yield off as much heat as possible. I'm not sure why it affected only 2 cars, I can't imagine anything would be different.

Regards,

Kevin

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob F1 World Champ
    Owner Consultant

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    kevin why are their 2.7 and 5.2 manifolds? 2.7 and 5.2 was just a ecu differnance right?

6. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, there's actual differences to the manifolds. I don't have a full list of 2.7 and 5.2 differences I believe one has been posted before but it's far more then just the ECU.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I think it may have something to do with the oil tank contributing to the heat levels on that side. I have also been keeping a mental note: I believe the stock manifolds are replaced on the right side more often than the left.

8. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    I think it may be the other way around, but mostly both are repalced at the same time. Obviously if going to the NA manifolds one has to!

As for the differences between M2.7 and M5.2, here's a brief list from memory:

2.7 has dual air flow meters and intakes; 5.2 has single AFM.
    5.2 headers have "upper" outlet at different angle to avoid single, central AFM.
    2.7 has 2 ECUs, 5.2 has 1.
    5.2 is OBDII compliant (well, almost), 2.7 is not.
    2.7 runs richer, dirtier, and has more power :)

There are a ton of minor differences to do with having one ECU in the 5.2 whereas the 2.7 is essentially 2 4cyl engines. Most sensors are duplicated in the 2.7 (crank sensors etc).

There are also a multitude of updates seen in the first of the 5.2s, but these can be retrofitted onto a 2.7, and in fact the old part numbers supersede to the new. These type of updates continued through the life of the model.

9. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Kevin,

after installing your headers on our 355 F1 5.2, the alternator was replaced twice. (once in Germany, second time in Italy)
    Now the car is running with a self made heatshield on the alternator.

Another 355 I know had similar issues, battery light flickering and so on ...
    After attaching a heatshield around the alternator the car was happy again to run 300 km in 35 celsius.

cheers,

cinquevalvole

10. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Cinquevalvole,

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your feedback. With your mishap and the other F355 you know of (given the 2 I am speaking of are in North America they are obviously different cars) I am going to be making a heatshield for the alternator that will be included with all future headers. Once the heatshield has been developed I will be contacting anybody who has purchased these headers to send them a heatshield whether they've had issues or not, better safe than sorry.

Regards,

Kevin

11. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    Hey Kevin,

I was wondering how long the wait is on a set of 2.7 headers for a 95 f355.

12. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Right now 8 weeks, 5.2 is down to 2 weeks.

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Kevin, I’m the guy who bought the 321 stainless one piece 355 (5.2) headers from Ed. (Sorry, don't have his full name anymore, but he was in the LA area.)
    I've had the manifolds on for 10 months now and no problems so far.

Do I qualify for the heat shields?

14. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I remember Ed, great guy and beautiful car, yes you do qualify just send me an e-mail with your address Kevin@MVPeurosports.com and whenever they are available I will send a set over to you.

15. AZSpider

AZSpider Karting

Oct 8, 2004
    San Diego CA
    If you still want some I will sell you mine. I took them off and don't want them.

16. mikeBLACK355

mikeBLACK355 Rookie

Feb 12, 2008
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    mike g
    My 95 F355 just popped another manifold on the left side, #6 port...sounds like a VW bug...
    Two years ago the right side exploded with a 2 to 3 shift that was not that memorable..however I purchased a repaired manifold from a guy in Atlanta, just cannot remember his name...is this still possible to have the manifold repaired ..the right side , fingers crossed, is still ok..
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

17. sws4re

sws4re Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2006
    Olathe Ks
    Full Name:
    Scott Sweat
    This is why buy one should buy mvp headers or another well known aftermarket header when they go bad. Then you can uncross your fingers and make that 2 to 3 shift with ease. If not you are just wasting time and money replacing a known bad design with another. Now that I think of it that could qualify as insanity.