355 noise ? | FerrariChat

355 noise ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by onefastwrx04, Oct 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. onefastwrx04

onefastwrx04 Rookie

Feb 10, 2005
    Woodlands Texas
    Full Name:
    Conrad
    Ok I just recived my first 355 a few days ago....I will let you know I love it and have already put 500 miles on her..... But anyways, As I start the car it makes a weird noise with the valves. Sounds like one does not close all the way??? No backfires or any such thing and car runs great but I am just wondering what it is if its a problem I need it fixed. Im anal about that stuff. Once the car is warm it wont do it...

Someone on my street told me its a valve to preheat the Cats????

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rather than diagnosing it and saying it sounds like a valve not closing all the way (what does that sound like by the way?), why not tell what the noise is like? Or where it is coming from? Maybe that will lead somewhere.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You cannot hear if the valve is opening and closing. If it were a valve not seating correctly, you would have a miss/backfire ect.....Im sure what you meant to was that there is a noise in the valve train and the noise goes away when hot. A wild guess.......the cam buckets may need to be shimmed. The noise goes away when the engine warms up because metal expands with heat and the clearances are taken up with expansion. Get it checked out with a competent mechanic. ;)

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    355's have hydraulic valves

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Right. Well that just f*cks my post then. :p :p

6. onefastwrx04

onefastwrx04 Rookie

Feb 10, 2005
    Woodlands Texas
    Full Name:
    Conrad
    Exactly.....Im a qualified tech I would have to say....But I am not sure what the hell it is doing and I do not want to take the valve covers and all that crap off......But when I start the car is makes the clank* noise then a few seconds after the motor has been run it goes away........I talked to FOH and they said something about preheating cat something or other but i was like um ok thanks? bye haha

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yea stupid, every one knows that 355s are hydraulic....num nuts LOL!! :D:D

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    355s have hydrostatic timing belt tensioners. They can under some circumstances or when they go bad collapse when the motor is shut off and cools down. They make a loud metallic, knock or rattle for a minute or two when the motor is fired up. That is at the front of the motor. Could it be that?

Get a stethescope and try to narrow its location down.