355 OBD II recall update needed.... Help | FerrariChat

355 OBD II recall update needed.... Help

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skippr1999, Dec 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 Skippr1999, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys,

I went to get my new to me car inspected and the machine scanner wouldn't connect to the car. It looks like the recall was never completed to update the port. How can I get my port updated these days ?

Thanks

Skipp
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    go to a dealer. Free.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Problem is there isn't one in Charlotte. Can you just rig a wire from Autozone ?

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Never mind. I see the part numbers to order from the recall document.

5. BucksTifoso

BucksTifoso Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Furlong, PA
    Full Name:
    Randy Crownover
    I've gone round and round this issue with my 355. When I first got the car, the garage recommended getting a code scanner, so I would know, when those inevitable "check engine" lights came on, whether it was something serious or not. The first scanner I bought would not connect, giving me a "Linking error" message. I thought perhaps this scanner was not compatible with Ferraris. I ended up buying a more expensive, Actron scanner that had the 355 listed as compatible. Ended up getting the same "Linking error". I read on here about a missing ground between pins 4 and 5. When I had the car in for service I asked them to fix this problem, for which a service bulletin had been issued in the past. They "supposedly" fixed it, but the the next check engine light, same linking error. I took the car to the local Maserati dealer, who was able to clear it with their "factory" scanner. Ended up being the same " O2 sensor" warning as before. Their scanner seems to be able to do something mine can't. There are all these new Bluetooth scanner apps., which I wish I could make use of, but Ferrari seems to want to maintain control over who can scan and who can't. Any clues?

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Something is wrong with your OBD port. I think we talked about this in the past if I recall.

When I got my car my OBD would not work and I traced it to a bent pin in the 9 pin connector in the ECU bay behind the passenger seat. When the major was done and this plug was dc/connected it was bent. Check that along with the recall protocol.

7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1, I had same problem when I brought my 355 to CT...dealer took care of it.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #8 Skippr1999, Dec 8, 2015
    I haven't done the update to the plug under the dash, but I'm being told that I can use a plug behind the seats to circumvent the need to update the dash plug.

I've pulled both covers off behind the seats, but don't see any plug that would match the inspection stations plug.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,
    Skipp

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Only thing there is an ALDL plug. They can't use that. They have to connect at the OBD plug.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you for clearing that up Brian. Much appreciated. I'll try to get the TSB update parts.

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    If the car hasn't had the update, any idea how it would have passed inspection all these years ?

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #12 drbob101, Dec 8, 2015
    The OBD plug consists of a +, - and two data lines. You would have to create the female of the OBD plug behind the seats to replicate that using the proper pin outs , etc.

Someone needs to trace the two data wires from the OBD port to the harness behind the seats using a tone generator and determine where the issue lies. As I said above in my circumstance one of the terminations of those two wires is in the nine pin plug back there and on reassembly of that plug after a major the male part of the coupling was bent over.

Have you opened that nine pin plug and inspected the pins?

This:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142224816-post62.html

Here is the pin out out for the OBD plug:

Check if you have 12V at pin 16 and splice the ground wire as the recall requires.

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    In NJ it is required to have a working OBD for emission testing to pass inspection. Other states may have different requirements.

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Don't you have foreign cars Italian in Greensboro?

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    1.5 hours away. I'm going to do the update with guidance from my local mechanics at Automotive International. Sean is great.

16. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    They have a location in Charlotte.

I thinks it's worth it to have done at dealer. Future buyers will get warm and fuzzy knowing its documented.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    FCI Charlotte doesn't work on Ferrari locally and ships the cars to Greensboro. It's a really simple update.

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

I believe the repair to your plug was not done correctly. Mine was done many years ago at the dealer, and it works perfectly with a cheap scanner off Ebay. When I got the occasional CE light, it accurately diagnosed the issue, bad catalyst, bad O2 sensor, or bad catalyst ECU... saved me a ton being able to correct the issue myself.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree.

By Federal law the data desired by Randy has to be available with one of those scanners. It was not universally so and was the entire reason for the recall.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Strange issue

I have a few scanners few dont work on the 355 either

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The scanners that work on this car would be the one whose pins 4 and 5 are internally connected in the scanners or its connectors.

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Is there a way to correct this?

23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Get the recall taken care of for the OBDII at a dealership. Is your '98 355 a manual or F1?

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Dealership will never touch my car. :) Its on a 97 spider manual
    I will go in and mess with the grounds and see what happens
    I have several scanners that work fine it's just the latest greatest dont

25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Give it a go. Here in Nevada my 1998 355 F1 GTS that I bought new is hard to get a smog pass outside the dealership. The OBDII signal is weak and you have to know how to smog the car. This has been a problem since Nevada went to new smog machines in 2000. I bought my car new and had the OBDII recall taken care of, and it still won't complete the test at most smog places.