355 Oil change | FerrariChat

355 Oil change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vonzsolnay, Oct 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey All. Have a 1995 355. Wanted to know if changing the oil and oil filter is something I can do. Thanks so much.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  3. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Awesome! Thank you so much!!

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good write up! Three additional tips from the school of hard knocks:

1. I like to leave the car in the air through warmup, so I can check for leaks. The oil tank plug can be a pain sometimes.
    2. A simple homeade tool made from a plastic milk jug can help divert draining oil from the tank away from the tops of the subframe and it prevents a big mess.
    3. Stuff some rags or plastic bags around the base of the filter housing before removing the filter. If you spill oil on the top of the gearbox it is not easy to clean.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you.

If I had a 4 post lift, perhaps but not doing that with a 2 post :)

I let mine sit long enough while cleaning up the undertray, etc and when I remove the filter not a drop comes out. But it's a good tip if you don't let the car sit for say 30 minutes :)

6. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    This is great stuff! I have low profile ramps i was going to use. Or do i need jack stands?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've tried it with low profile ramps by RaceRamps with extenders (the front spoiler seemed too close to the ground without the extenders). The ramps didn't give me enough height at the sump drain point (without burning my nose on the sump... especially when using a creeper). The drain point is really far forward. My father made up some 4" wooden mini ramps for the front wheels to help raise the car.

It's a huge hassle positioning two sets of ramps. Getting access to some of the bolts for the underbody fairings is also difficult with ramps.

Not impossible, but considering how much I spent on the RaceRamps, I could have just given the car to my local independent Ferrari tech half a dozen times for the same price.

8. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey guys, here’s a silly question. Is it better for me to wait till the spring to change the oil? Since I’m getting ready to garage it for the winter? I live in New York, so I don’t really drive it much in the winter at all. Thoughts? Thanks so much.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This topic is very debated. I store my cars in a heated garage and prefer to change oil in spring. The argument is often about condensation in oil.

10. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks so much. Seems better to me to change in spring. Start season with fresh oil.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am on the other side .. if the oil has a lot of mileage of it ..it may pay to change now since it may not protect as well (additive do wear out and acids do increase) ..but it is all about mileage and use .. if the car was used lightly and brought up to temp during each time you drove ..waiting is ok

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

12. vonzsolnay

vonzsolnay Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks so much!! Car was lightly used and not a lot of mileage on the oil at all. Always brought up to temp before use.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, not hard...just a little time consuming compared to most other cars.