355 owners/U guys upgrading or not? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 owners/U guys upgrading or not?

Discussion in '348/355' started by kimoSabe, Mar 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

3. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I don't consider changing a 355 to a 360 as an upgrade.It's a change of vehicle! Sure, the 360 is faster,quicker,more rigid (Spider),has traction control, has much better seats, steering wheel, roof mechanism (Spider), better lights, better warranty and cheaper maintenance amongst many other improvements.

The main reason for the differences are that THEY ARE 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT CARS!

The 355 looks better,it's pretty, it has character, style and charm and sounds incredible even in standard trim. The 360 is dramatic! Except at low revs in standard trim, when it sounds like a Nissan Micra. But not as dramatic as the 430. That's an upgrade, 360-430. Old model to facelift/make-over!
    Driving a 355 brings more smiles per mile! The 355 is so much more involving to drive!
    For anyone to say that they had to be rid of a 355 because it was dated simply has no sense of style.The 355 is probably the most "complete" sportscar ever built, and lots of other cars do lots of things better than a 355, but no other car combines the elements in the way the 355 does!
    And before anyone replies that this is just the posturing of another fool who can't afford any Ferrari, let alone the "upgrade" I have a 99 355 Spider 6sp 17k miles and an 03 360 Spider 6sp 4.5k miles, both of which I've owned from new!
    The 355 is NOT FOR SALE! EVER !!!
    The 360 will go at the end of the year to make way for the 430 Spider confirmed for Feb 06, I won't really miss the 360, but I'd be heartbroken to see the 355 go!

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    so spiderman, let me ask u a question.

if u are given a f355 spider and a 360 spider, for the SAME price. and u can only choose one to KEEP(not re-sell).

which one would u pick?

5. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    A few thoughts....

First, if I had a nickel for every 360 owner who REALLY wanted to keep their 355...I'd be rich....or richer :)

I've met several guys who kept their 355 while owning a 360 as well. Many of these same guys are now looking at the 430: guess which f-car is headed for the selling block when their 430 becomes reality? Before we all jump on this....yes: it's because the 360 & 430 are too similar, but at the same time they love their 355's with a passion and just can't let 'em go.

I think it's just plain silly to compare which car is "better" looking....they are both awesome and have their own qualities to love. IMHO, the 355 has the best sound, the awesome low-to-the-ground rear-end look, the 'raw' feel, etc....BUT it is a pretty simple wedge on the front and the pop-up lights are a bit dated.....

We have the same dilemna in the Hummer world: everyone wants the luxury and modern quality & comfort of the H2...but the capability of the H1. We all wish for a perfect blend of each...

So...what if they updated the interior of the 355 with the same likes as the 360, while integrating the headlights into the front fenders and "morphing" 30% of the 360 front-end into the front-end of the 355. Oh man...that would be interesting!!!! call it a 357 Magnum? ;)

And heck, let's go ahead and put a turbo on the engine as well. AND my favorite pet-peeve issue: maybe, just maybe the windows can retract deep enough into the door that the annoying 1/2" of glass won't protrude upwards utterly destroying an otherwise comfortable arm-rest.

...a licorice dispenser would be nice too ;)

(btw, thanks Todd for the compliement on my previous post)

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Steve, good one, I had not thought about the leading edge of the window sticking up. I agree, that is a drag and since i never go anywhere with my window up(better to hear you with my dear), it is a nuisance. I love your idea for the 357, would be a great car. Can it have the headroom of the 360 as well? Then I will take one.

Spyderman, you are a lucky man indeed. Now if you could only add a f50 to your open top collection you would really be my hero!!!

7. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Absolutely no contest, 355 any day!

Charm and charisma count for so much more for me, otherwise I would have a garage full of TVRs, Porsches, Lamborghinis etc. I saw my 355 today in a workshop (she hasn't been well!) and I really missed her, I opened my garage & took the car parked next to the 360 out and thought "so I can't drive the 360 'cos of the weather, so what!".

Maybe if I was a better driver I would appreciate the dynamics of the 360 more, but I don't! Please don't misunderstand me, I know I'm very fortunate in having both, it's just that the 355 stirs the emotions in a way the 360 never will ! I have often replied to the question when driving the 355 "what's it like?" with the heartfelt reply "it's the most fun I've EVER had with my clothes on!"

If you are lucky enough to have or acquire a 355, keep it! It is and will always be a VERY special car!

8. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a man truly loves F355, thats all I gotta say about that.
    I have a F355 and a CS, I love the F355 too, it brings certain aspects you do not get from 360. However if I were to choose one, I will take even a regular Modena over the F355.

9. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger

I am with Steve...at this point, no matter what Steve says I agree!!...Steve you are right on my brother.

This is great reading guys...I wish I could type...then I may be able to add as much enthusiasm as Steve, Spidey and RiverFlyer.

How's this...You could offer me $200K for my car and I would say...NEGATIVE

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Oh great......now how am I supposed to fit into my 355 with my huge swollen head????? ;) I appreciate the kudo's, but please refrain from feeding the Steve-ego....we all suffer for it and it only encourages me ;)

I just wanna say that I started out looking to replace my old & dated sit-in-the-garage convertible...a meager little VW Karmann Ghia convertible beater. I looked at the super-practical Mitsubishi Spyder, then the Toyota MR2, then some BMW's, then the new 350SLK, then my wife pushed me towards the Jag, etc, etc.

Then it just came to me...why not spend a bit more and have something really special; take it right to the top and actually own a Ferrari...it'll probably hold it's value better then a Jag and it'll be oh-so-very-special to drive. Honestly guys, I wasn't even into cars & performance.

I found F-chat, met some local Ferrari guys and just knew I had to be a part of this whole thing. Honestly, had it not been for this forum, I'd probably not own a Ferrari AND without this forum owing a Ferrari just wouldn't be the same.

As for the car, I gotta tell ya something: owning something rare, special, limited and unique is just amazing. I run with a few guys through the canyons and this car does things that just plain amaze the heck out of me. The sound of all the Ferrari's running through their gears, the g-force coming through turns, the shifting through the gate, the acceleration...the whole sensation truly is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I want a bumper stick that reads "I warned my wife not to make me choose"

And I gotta tell ya, every single time I come back from a drive and park in the garage...I walk a few steps past the garage door and just look at that car in stunning admiration. Everyone told me it's an addiction and they were right.

In so far as I'm concerned......if you have the means, I highly suggest that at one point in your life you endulge yourself with the ownership of a Ferrari. There is something here that can not be put in words, it simply has to be experienced...and not in someone elses car, it has to be YOUR car! If you regret your purchase, you'd be the first ever.

And that IS all I have to say about that!

- Steve

11. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Nice work Steve...btw, update your profile...shoot me an email too [email protected] should hook up next time I am out in LA on biz.

Cheers!

Todd

12. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Wow...I hadn't thought to upgrade my profile, I made it when I first came here...thanks for the tips!

Todd, give me a shout anytime your in town, we've got a great group of regular guys going on drives all the time!