355 Passenger AirBag lid removal help... | FerrariChat

355 Passenger AirBag lid removal help...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by feliciano, Aug 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. feliciano

feliciano Karting

Mar 18, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Feliciano D. Molina
    I am redoing the dash board but encountered to obstacles: Speedometer section and Passenger Air Bag lid. Does anyone know how to remove those?

Thanks!

2. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Speedo cluster is easy, there's two philips screws at the bottom of the cluster on either side (just to right and left side of the steering wheel). Take those out, then the whole cluster 'unhooks' off a top latch. Then disconnect all the cables and it comes right out. No clue on the air bag...just stand back and use a reeeeal long screwdriver!

Qavion likes this.
  3. feliciano

feliciano Karting

Mar 18, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Feliciano D. Molina
    Speedo is out... just gonna start workin on the airbag deal. Thanks for the help!

4. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    I'm doing this repair in the Fall... any news on how to get the passenger airbag out?

5. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    ITS NOT JUST THE LID,BUT THE WHOLE AIRBAG THAT comes out.SORRY BUT i DONT THINK i HAVE REMOVED A 355 BAG

6. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    For the airbag, you'll need a Torx security bit. T60 i think, often hard to find.

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    remove both the center vent and the right dash vent. inside to either side of the airbag you will find two tamper proof torx bolts. remove the two from each side, unplug the airbag from under the dash and then remove airbag out of front of dash.

regards, Jim

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    as always, ensure that the battery has been isolated for 30+ mins., ground yourself to the car body to get rid of static before doing this.

Qavion likes this.
  9. feliciano

feliciano Karting

Mar 18, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Feliciano D. Molina
    I fnally was able to remove dash board and air bag.

The air bag lid is attached to the whole thing so it needs to come off one piece.

1.- Turn car´s main switch off.

2.- Remove central and passanger air vents carefully.

3.- Disconnect airbag.

4.- Remove side screws of airbag using torx No. 30. These screws have a center guide, so normal torx won´t cut it, it needs to be hollow.

Good Luck.

10. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    - The car's main switch disconnects the Ground from the Car Security system. If you open either of the doors with the switch set to OFF you will notice your interior light will still lit up. The switch doesn't disconnect the airbag system and you will end-up with the AIRBAG light up on the instrument cluster. To avoid that you need to disconnect the "+" Power plug from the battery. I would still recommend to turn the Ground switch to OFF more to not to get a spark when re-plugging the "+" connector back to the battery.

-The steps #3 and 4 should be reversed. It's way easier to disconnect the airbag plug when you have the airbag out.

-The airbag is secured with Torx No. 40, not 30. Also, if you don't want to scratch the sides of the airbag body, loose both airbag brackets from the dash frame. Those are 2 x 13MM nuts on each side. Once assembling back in, first put in and tie 4 screws T-40 then adjust the airbag lid against the dashboard cover and tie one of the 13MM nuts on each side. Then tie the other nut on each side.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  11. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As a precaution when disconnecting a battery terminal, disconnect the negative side first. By disconnecting negative first, you are decreasing the risk of any shorts when you try to remove the positive terminal and accidentally touch the wrench to body chassis.

12. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Curious.
    No lights that lit up while opening doors after putting off the switch in my car.
    I alway see advices to use the switch before removing the airbag, but that's the first time I see someone mentioning to remove the terminal from the battery.

13. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You always can try it on your car to learn that the airbag is NOT connected to the lights bus to get your airbag light fired up. Then you'll be on your way to the shop with SD1/Leonardo to reset the it ;-)

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It may depend on the individual car. As far as I know, the entire F355 airbag system (including the ECU) is only powered by the ignition (i.e. no power to anything with the key off). I don't have a wiring diagram for the airbag system on the F355, but cars of this era seem to have the same power setup (456M, F550, F360, F430, etc). As long as you have the ignition system off, you should be ok (with respect to the Airbag light). No power can get to the ECU (whatever is happening to the battery).

If your door lights are illuminating, you may have some aftermarket wires attached to the battery negative terminal. Aftermarket wiring may be bypassing the cutout switch.

15. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My car is not having any aftermarket wiring.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #16 Qavion, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    That you know of :p

Do you have a trickle charger pigtail wired directly to the battery?

(EDIT: My doorlights work if I have my trickle charger hooked up (and powered) with my battery disco switch off. My trickle charge is connected to the terminals in the engine bay)

17. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    I changed my steering wheel for a 360 one. Battery connected, with just the power switch OFF, and everything is OK.
    Airbag light is working and goes off when it should.