355 performance and year to buy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 performance and year to buy

Discussion in '348/355' started by Andrewgavi, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    According to my mechanic at Continental Autosports in Hinsdale, IL, the throttles in the F355 should be in balance in the same way that multiple carburators should be in balance. I believe the balance is obtained by adjusting the hardware, linkage, etc. so that the throttle plates open at precisely the same time. An out-of-balance condition will degrade the throttle response since all throttle plates are not opening at the optimal time. I am not a mechanic so I may be describing some aspect of this incorrectly. Perhaps the more mechanically astute and knowledgeable among us can clarify.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Steve, you are describing it properly. It's commonly called sychronising the throttles or synching the throttles.

3. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    I have been doing a lot of research lately and talking to many dealers. I am not an expert by any means but here are a few comments I have had.

1. 95 with the valve guides changed are great cars to own. Still should check.

2. 95 wihtout the valve guides changes with decent mileage are probaby OK but you should have a leak down test and compression test to check. If you do have a problem, it seems the dealer service shop will be in the ~15 - 20K range to address.

3. Dealers have started to see the problem pop-up in 96 and 97 however, 1 dealer yesterday told me they had "1" 98 which was surprising.

I think I am going with 95 now. Great price/performance ratio's. Anyone selling :)

-chris

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sounds like if you want to get a more powerful 355 you ought to take a closer look at martin's 355 challenge.