355 Purchase Planning - cheap spyder or hold out for GTS? | FerrariChat

355 Purchase Planning - cheap spyder or hold out for GTS?

Discussion in '348/355' started by sequoia_gts, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Hello everyone,

I am a longtime lurker and recent member here. As with most car enthusiast communities, the wealth of information already present without even making a post or becoming a member is truly incredible. The generosity of all owners, past and present, is remarkable. What a resource!

Anyway, I have wanted an F355 GTS since they made their debut. There is something about that targa top look and experience that is just perfection in my eyes. I don't even have a preference on F1 vs. manual - if it's the right GTS in the right condition and priced according to the current market, I'd be all over it. I've never owned or even driven a Ferrari, and it is highly unlikely I would have an opportunity to do so without being quite far into the purchase process (test drives, etc. - no friends, family or coworkers are owners).

What I've noticed recently are a group of what appear to be VERY reasonably-priced spyders with recent service coming from a popular online auction site. One was Blu Chiaro over tan, an exceptional combo in my opinion. Another was silver over black. Both had less than 1-year-old engine out's, manual trans, the blue one selling in mid-50's and silver one at 50 flat! Both were "drivers" with some interior and exterior wear, but miles in the 20k's and overall appearing to be well-sorted.

My question is this: Has anyone else "settled" on a Ferrari that wasn't the one they truly wanted in order to make it more attainable? Whether it was for cost, availability, etc. Specifically, has anyone compromised and bought a spyder instead of a targa or berlinetta F355? I am a good year or two away from making a move, but I like to be as prepared as possible. The price, quantity and color selection of spyders I've seen selling recently has me thinking it would be a great entry into Ferrari ownership. My concern is that I won't love it and want to move on in a few years - and maybe that is OK.

I realize this is an extraordinarily subjective question but I'm really looking for any and all kinds of input and experiences anyone is willing to share. Thanks!

zhani355 likes this.
  2. MartinM.no

MartinM.no Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Oslo Norway
    Full Name:
    Martin Myhre
    Good question, I am in the same boat. :)

sequoia_gts likes this.
  3. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    My opinion is hold out for the GTS that you really want. You’ll never have regret in that regard. I searched for a few years before finding my 355 and when I found the one I bought there was another black 95 GTB a hundred miles away from the one I bought with tan interior. I was lucky to be able to fly to Fort Lauderdale and drive both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Steve355F1, sequoia_gts and Robb like this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I wasn't specifically looking for a GTS but ended up with one. I liked the targa top a lot and it's a great feature. A 355 is still a 355 in terms of enjoyment but the Spyders are much cheaper. It depends on what your budget is really. I know of a stick and F1 GTS for sale in case you're interested in more details.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  5. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Get the one you truly want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sequoia_gts and Robb like this.
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would hold out for your dream. Settling for something different than what you really want never seems to work out.

The only thing you really lose going with the spider is the rear buttresses. You can also gain more heat rolling into the cabin at stops in traffic. You benefit from the better noise coming from the exhaust and more wind making you closer to the outside environment and sense of speed.

Only issue to be concerned with is the spider can be quirky with the seat potentiometers or tops wearing over time so buyers can be wary of these fixes which can come and go. Some convert the cars to manual operation to avoid some of the unknowns. Some owners report perfect operation all the time. My trusted mechanics have advised me to stay away from all spiders - 355, 360, and 430 because of things that can and do go wrong.

Out of most Ferrari’s, the spiders sell for the most money. So this may be your chance to get a lower priced Ferrari that could go up in value more in time.

All speculation.

I’ve enjoyed time in both models so you really can’t go wrong.

Robb

Ridgeback, sequoia_gts and 308 GTB like this.
  7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wait, get the the one you one.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No.

308 GTB, sequoia_gts and Robb like this.
  9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I would wait until you find, and can afford the exact car you want. But in any case beware... the cheapest Ferrari almost always is the most expensive. That said, if you zero in on the car you want just be sure to get a ppi to at least uncover some of the bigger issues, if any. And ALWAYS keep a sizable maintenance fund on hand for whatever pops up. Or you could wind up with a very expensive piece of furniture in your garage.

sequoia_gts and Robb like this.
  10. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I appreciate everyone focusing on the "what I want" vs. "which is better" point, because that really is my question as I am sure both configurations are tremendous experiences for the right person. Robb makes some great points about the sensory experiences of the full drop-top version, and I always suspected that was why there are so many of them. I just LOVE the buttress profile of the fixed-roof and targa, and to maintain that shape with an open top is awesome which leaves the GTS as my choice.

"Only issue to be concerned with is the spider can be quirky with the seat potentiometers or tops wearing over time so buyers can be wary of these fixes which can come and go. Some convert the cars to manual operation to avoid some of the unknowns. Some owners report perfect operation all the time. My trusted mechanics have advised me to stay away from all spiders - 355, 360, and 430 because of things that can and do go wrong." - These concerns keep me away from ragtops in general. I have had a 1998 M Roadster since 2008 and plan to keep it as long as I can operate the pedals, but the top is a constant source of frustration. Even after I had it replaced with an OE unit by a reputable shop, it had wear marks on the stress points within a year and the plastic (!) rear window was getting scuffed despite using the protective cloth with the top folded.

So, it would seem that the consensus here is to wait for the right GTS. That's what I needed to hear. This is an odd purchase for me, as unlike with buying a home, family car, furniture, etc., this is a major "investment" that is quite literally just for me.; a rather selfish buy that I rightfully deserve to go-it-alone on! I don't have anyone else in the immediate family who really cares or can speak on the subject, so input from other owners and prospective owners is huge. It is a little depressing cruising closed BaT listings and seeing about a 30:1 ratio of spyders to GTS's, but I am in no rush. That gives me time to build up more capital for the initial purchase and service. On top of that, I have a feeling I may have a better shot of finding the right car from this community than on the auction block.

Thanks again!

Nik

308 GTB and Robb like this.
  11. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yeah, I agree, wait for what you want. It's weird to be at a cars and coffee listening to someone gush over your car and have that feeling of regret inside.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Wait for the one you want ... that is until you are a passenger in a 355 spider, with a Tubi exhaust going through the Devil Slide tunnel and the driver drops the hammer while the top is down. By the time you exit the tunnel, you will change your religion.

TrojanFan, Challenge, baschul and 2 others like this.
  13. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    ^well said. I took a drive in my 348 spider the other day with the sun shining, air going through my hair, and the exhaust screaming. My goodness. What a feeling.
    I wanted a spider. Got a spider. Will never ever sell it.

Problem is... I want a GTB too for a different experience. Oh boy.....

Wait for the one you want.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    What's the right GTS?

sequoia_gts likes this.
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would think its anyone thats for sale right now in the color you want or will be ok with

sequoia_gts likes this.
  16. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I was an owner of a 1995 355 Spider in 1996/1997 - 2004, Wanted a GTS or Coupe, but got a "deal" on a spider. I would not settle for anything but a spider - if going for open top, go Spider. Yes there are quirks and issues with a few things (if you google my user name and 355 from many moons ago) you have options, like making the top manual when the power top fails - which removes any of the seat issues, etc. But if well maintained, a spider is such a great open top experience. Really one of the best F-cars IMO, and I have had a lot. Either Spider, GTS or Coupe - have enough saved to well sort it out and make it sound. They are not terribly expensive, but they do cost more than some moderns to keep up to standard. (eg. Engine out service vs 430 and above chain driven)

But if you want a GTS, go with it, there are lots of them for sale - find the right color, have a bit of money for some good TLC, and buy what you want. But don't dismiss a spider, as they are really awesome.

baschul and sequoia_gts like this.
  17. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I think we are all pretty much in agreement to not settle.

One time I bought a 300zx. The right year, right options, 1 owner, supert tight (no rattles), strong and pretty much flawless. It was burgundy metalic. I am not a fan but it looked ok. I really wanted black but a black one I drove was clearly needing some work. I bought the burgundy one. I enjoyed driving it (from the inside) but not looking at it so much from the outside. I regret not waiting for a black one.

One time I got married.... ;)

sequoia_gts likes this.
  18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hold out for the GTS.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  19. deeej84

deeej84 Karting

Jun 9, 2013
    Sylvan Lake, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dustin Johnston
    I'm a long time GTS fan and it was my first option. I owned a 348ts and sold it for a 355 Spider last summer. The Spider is one of the most beautiful convertibles ever but it's still not quite as beautiful as the GTS. Spider tops can have issues, and they have more quirks than the GTS. I'd say hold out. I wish I would have waited on the GTS, but I won't trade the spider now that I have it. Both are just as amazing, but if it's the GTS you've dreamed about than I would hold out as I wished I have.

sequoia_gts and Steve355F1 like this.
  20. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Definitely wait to get the one you want. Especially if you're not buying for 1-2 years you should be able to find your perfect car within that time.

Most importantly, don't let anyone try to change your opinion. Opinions are very strong in terms of body style, transmission, colour, etc., and everyone will tell you that what they have or what they like is the "best".
    Get what you want, not what someone else wants.

Good luck!

ZA3879, 05011994 and sequoia_gts like this.
  21. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The top logic, switches and execution are pretty silly on the 355 top.

My seat pot broke 8 years ago. I simply wired the manual operation switch into the open hole on the center console next to the ashtray. Can't even tell.
    Push forward and the top goes up.
    Push backward and the top goes down.
    Move seats and windows manually as desired.
    SOON! I will fix that seat pot....but have no reason to.

I test drove a GTS and a Berlinetta and thought the 355 was pretty amazing. The sound...oh that sound....
    Then I drove a 355 with the top down......

johnk..., baschul and sequoia_gts like this.
  22. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Good question. I don't really know. I'm trying not to get too picky, but I think priority would go to condition (both cosmetic and mechanical), service history, colors, mileage, and transmission (MT preferred) in that order. So, to be completely unreasonable about it: Recent engine out, headers replaced, valve guides replaced (if applicable), history to the beginning of its life, Blu Chiaro over tan interior, miles in the teens, and 6MT :)

23. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    They sure are! I've noticed that over the years I've cruised these forums. All of the stuff is subjective. It's like buying a painting or some other piece of art - it may speak to you in a way that other people just don't get, and that's OK. That's why my main question was "has anyone settled" rather than trying to interpret what is "best", as "best" has about 1000 different combinations. Thanks!

24. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Are there lots of GTS's for sale? Am I looking in the wrong places? I haven't gotten too aggressive beyond the usual online auctions because I don't want to waste anyone's time, but there just seem to be so many more spyders than anything else, even fixed-roof cars. Seems there are a lot of people who "know of one for sale", but I don't see them listed often. Should I be scrolling through the for-sale stuff here more frequently?

I'm also in Upstate NY which doesn't help the situation with regard actually being able to go see one easily.

25. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Full disclosure - I own a 95 GTS. Spyders are nice, but to my eye the lines on the GTS are levels above the Spyder. Also, the GTS is much rarer. The Spyder top is very finicky and costly. The targa piece squeaks but on highways its failry silent and the wind noise is less than a Spyder.

I woul def wait for a GTS and only buy a manual. There is nothing like the “click clack” of the gated shifter and the sound of the flat 8 with the exhaust valves open. The best!

A hidden cost that is rarely discussed on the forums is rebuilding the shocks and replacing the bushings. In my opinion, this is a must on any car that is 20 plus years old. I replaced all the bushings, the engine mounts and reconditioned the shocks and its a different car. Budget 5k for all of this.

sequoia_gts likes this.