355 Purchase Planning - cheap spyder or hold out for GTS? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Purchase Planning - cheap spyder or hold out for GTS?

Discussion in '348/355' started by sequoia_gts, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Agreed on all points. I should add too that part of the reason I'm obsessed with the looks and making that a deciding factor is that my daily driving habits are going to necessarily turn whatever F-car I end up with into primarily garage art. On any given day I typically have with me a dog, baby, or both, and this vehicle won't work for transporting either. On the days I'm alone in the car, I'm depending on good weather to take a ride in something fun. For those who haven't spent any time near Syracuse, it's not exactly Santa Barbara in terms of sunshine. I often spend time admiring my cars after I get home from the office while at a stand-still in the driveway, beer in hand as I wait for the grill to heat up. The old you-don't-see-the-outside-as-much-as-the-inside doesn't apply in this case, and the looks of the GTS are what started the love affair from the get-go. Thanks for your input!

Robb likes this.
  2. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    When buying the dream car you want, don't settle. Get what you want. Personally, I am F1 Spyderman. I feel the leg room is advantageous and who doesn't love a convertible. Good luck either way.

Boaf

sequoia_gts likes this.
  3. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IMHO which 355 to get, is a win/win situation. You already made the correct decision: 355. Either choice is a winner. You’ll be smiling more in either case. You can’t lose (if you get a “good” one). My top was made Manuel, so I don’t have any issues with it, but I’m a convertible guy. The sound! I live for overpasses.

Robb and sequoia_gts like this.
  4. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    I'd love to ride in a spyder just for the experience before I make my decision. I went back and forth quite a bit on 348 (didn't love the looks as much), 430 (also don't love the look as much but lower maintenance supposedly), and I just keep coming back to the 355. It is so objectively beautiful I can hardly stand it, and that's true of all 3 configurations. I am not convinced I wouldn't enjoy the F1 box, which is why I made it the last thing on my priority list. Again, no driving experience on either and I've owned many manuals, but that F1 box doesn't sound like much of a compromise as some would suggest.

Glad you're both happy with your spyders!

zhani355 likes this.
  5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I wouldn't do that if I were you. ;)

PeteyP, taz355, baschul and 1 other person like this.
  6. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Good point! Might end up with one of each :)

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Quit infringing on my plan. :)

sequoia_gts likes this.
  8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    All 355's are beautiful. My advice: drive a Spider with the top down on a nice day. I was hellbent on a Berlinetta or GTS (my first 355 ride was in a GTS on track). Once I stumbled on my Spider, the test drive sold me.

PeteyP, johnk... and sequoia_gts like this.
  9. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Would love to ride in all three before making a determination. Does anyone know if the Ferrari community has much presence in central NY? I see you're from PA. I would still be the random, unknown guy without a Ferrari looking to ride around in one but if there is a nearby owner of any of these works of art who is feeling generous, I sure would appreciate the opportunity. Beers on me after!

10. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm at the very southern most point of New York State so not exactly close, but if you find yourself nearby you're more than welcome to drive mine.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  11. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    That is a gracious offer and I may take you up on it. I do make it down to the city from time to time and it isn't a terrible drive from here either way. Mind if I send you a message next time I'll be in the area and maybe we can connect? Thanks again.

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Just PM me if you're going to be close by. I'm near Central NJ and take the car to the Red Bank C&C sometimes which is a good place to meet up to see a bunch of different cars. Or anywhere local if you find yourself on the Island of Staten; if it's not raining I'm typically looking for a reason to drive. Also, Sunday mornings down here there's a big C&C meet by the beach, with lots of muscle and antiques, not Ferrari heavy but sometimes 1 (me) or 2.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  13. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    I will most certainly do that. I've got some friends Morristown and it would be a good way to combine the trip. Thanks again!

14. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Buy the one you want. I wanted a GTB and while there were cheaper spiders I couldn't bring myself to settle. You're buying your dream Ferrari so do it the way you imagined.

Steve355F1 and sequoia_gts like this.
  15. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wanted a blue GTS- ended up w a black GTB. I bought my car 2 years ago and haven’t seen my ideal car for sale yet so I think I made the right choice! I keep my car in northern nj abt 20 mins from Morristown. PM me if you’re in the area.

There’s a few for sale out there- Black 6spd on eBay and a nice looking Rossa Barchetta f1 too. What spec are you looking for?

sequoia_gts likes this.
  16. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    I'm in the same boat. Given my 1-2 years before being ready to purchase, I'm afraid I'll be waiting indefinitely after that to find the "right" one. And with that cash on hand, will it be hard not to jump on one that's almost good enough? Is "almost good enough" really all that tragic when it comes to a Ferrari? This is why I'm not ruling out the F1 trans even though I'd prefer a manual.

I'd say I browse the photos of that Rossa Barchetta one on eBay at least once a week :) It is gorgeous. It's also been for sale for months I think - not sure what's driving that, probably a combination of things. As far as ideal (read: unreasonably-specific) spec: GTS, recent engine out, headers replaced, valve guides replaced (if applicable), history to the beginning of its life, Blu Chiaro over tan interior, miles in the teens or 20's, and 6MT.

Much obliged on the offer to see your ride. I will certainly PM when I make my way down there. Thanks!

17. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Love it! My advice on the engine out & headers- Don’t be afraid of a car w out them because it is easy enough to get done. You don’t want to pay a premium for a fresh service car only to find it was a simple lock and swap unless you’re bringing it back to the same mechanic.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  18. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Good points. I threw those service bits in recently when I saw how many spyders were coming up that seemed to have all those things taken care of already (allegedly). Living in the sticks makes finding a good shop tricky. There is one near me that has an f-car or two in the bays at any given time, but I've unfortunately had multiple negative experiences with them so I'll most likely have to travel or ship the car for any service. I was hoping for a get-in-and-enjoy-for-a-while experience, but again, for the right car, I'd deal with some needed maintenance.

19. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The Rosso barchetta f1 gts on eBay has actually been for sale for more like 18 months. It was pulled off the market by the dealer in between that for a tcu replacement among other work. After that they raised their pricing.

I like the spec.

Robb

sequoia_gts and WJC like this.
  20. tcbquattroporte

tcbquattroporte Karting

Jan 31, 2014
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I am lucky enough to have both, a 1997 Berlinetta and a 1995 Spider. Both are black with tan interiors, both are 6-speed manuals. I think the lines of the Berlinetta are better, but there is no better looking convertible out there when the Spider's top is down.

The Berlinetta is quieter at highway speeds, but the Spider with the top down envelopes you with unmatched exhaust sounds. I love them both, but I really think I like the Spider more overall.

My advice to you is to drive both cars.....they will make up your mind for you!

sequoia_gts and baschul like this.
  21. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    I know they aren't for everyone given the look and the fact they weren't available from the factory on an F355, but I absolutely love the Daytona seats. Who did the work? FWIW, I had planned on buying a B, but one drive with the top down in a Spider, and I was done. (95 Rossa Barchetta Spider Gated).

sequoia_gts likes this.
  22. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Agreed. If I find a decent car that needs new/reconditioned hides, I would definitely make the jump to the Daytonas.

sequoia_gts likes this.
  23. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    *WOW!!! Dream garage right there! Absolutely stunning. Black on tan is an incredible mix for these too. The only reason it's not my choice is that I swore I would never own another black car, although this one will be inside so much I probably won't have to worry much about swirl marks, etc. Also agree with baschul and Wsmatau, those Daytona seats look right at home. VERY nicely done.

And yes, I think the drive will be the decision maker (but still leaning toward the GTS) :)

24. sequoia_gts

sequoia_gts Rookie

Jan 9, 2019
    Fayetteville, NY
    Full Name:
    Nikolas Batruch
    Interesting. I thought it seemed like it'd been up a while as it is a fairly unusual color and it seemed like I kept seeing the same car listed over and over, but I didn't have it in my watched items so I couldn't be sure. Any thoughts on why it has sat for so long? I don't know enough about the affects of colors, mileage, etc. to speak on the number they're asking. It is (and will probably remain) out of my price range when the time comes but I am curious.

25. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think it's been over-priced / f1 / in Florida / average condition. All of those are up for debate and your preferences...

I'd contact Dave Rocks at Sticky RX. He knows about the car and its mechanic.

Robb

sequoia_gts likes this.