355 race | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 race

Discussion in '348/355' started by allanlambo, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004

I like your answer!! LOL

2. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I'd like to be there.
    BTW- My 348TT, is just a bit faster than the 355, (or it FEELS faster to me). The dyno would indicate the same. I've gone out with the EXPRESS purpose of testing the launch charactaristics. It's shod with P-Zero Rosso's on 18 inch 355 wheels. Making similiar power as the 355, it launches best right at about 4000. So I'd have to agree, that 3500 should give you a good start on the normally aspirated 355. Keep us posted. Video it if possible.
    Jeff

3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    If I recall, Car Craft (or another like magazine) rented an F355 back when they were new and ran it through its paces. (Ferrari apparently wouldnt loan them one. So, this was probably a fairly unbiased test.) If memory serves, it ran something like 13.1@107.

4. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

hmmm... but as I understand it... the 95's were significantly faster than other model years for some reason.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Allan,

I took my street 355 to the drag strip a few years back and on the crappy Michelin street tires that came on some 95's I ran a 13.3 as my best time. Most of the launches put my times at 13.3 - 13.5 range.

Keep in mind I wasn't interested in frying the clutch and flywheel and the tires had 4000 miles on them.

Regards,

Jon

6. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    What makes you think that this Mustang is all stock. I live in GA and most of them have done something to them. There so many options if you have a Mustang. I am a person who cannot say no if someone is revving up their engine, either on a stop or on the highway. Ironicly my only loss was against an other 355. But at the time I had a really bad clutch. The next day the car was in the shop for a new clutch.
    Good luck

7. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    I know in my Corrados which have all had a Peloquin that from any position the VR6 will take down any 5.0 stock, even without the LSD my Corrado faired well. I would not worry, just be careful it seems Ferraris aren't super Torque monsters, now the Lambo is another story. BTW, even stock figures show the VR6 Corrado as faster than a stock 5.0.

Kyle

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey Allen why not mount some D.O.T. "street legal" Hoosiers on the rims, heheeee. That way you make up for torque with grip. Power is no good if you can't get it to hook up. Not that you can't get it to hook up, but it does make the job easier.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Nah, too muh work. If i have to cheat in a 90,000 Ferrari to beat a 20,000 stock Mustang, id be pretty unhappy.

10. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Allen,
    I'm sure you'd win, but instead, teach your wife how to launch the 355! Losing to a girl would be the ULTIMATE in humiliation.

Pull up in both cars to make him feel a little smaller that usual, and let the wife do the race. And if the worst case scenario does happen, you can either blame it on her and/or offer up a race against your monster Lamborghini.

Just make sure to do more than a quarter mile, so even if the start is bad, or he's running juice or other mods, the 355 will still have a chance to catch up and beat him.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!
    David

11. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'd agree - launch at 4-5000 revs. First time i tried it I nearly destroyed my clutch, smelt awful, but now it seems to have 'worn in' it performs really well droppin in at these revs.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I may have the wife race him, and if its close, we'll do it again with me driving.

13. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

So when is the race then??

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Been raining here everyday. We may just go down to the dragstrip.

15. Dave@EFI

Dave@EFI Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    I better fly over to Maui for the action! This gonna be a street race Allan?

16. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Wish we had some action like this in the UK. Doesn't seem many people are up for street racing over here.

17. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i had a personal experience with a 355

it went up to 100 in about 5-6 seconds when i was riding in it.

youl definetly beat that pice o crap

and try and find where those groups of ricers go to streetrace
    that might be a good place

18. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    As far as I'm concerned, if you have both a lambo & fcar, you've already won the only race that matters to me.

BTW, can you please tell Mr. Mach 1 to bring me a large thin crust with extra cheese and pepperoni when he's through racing. Maybe by next summer he can afford a hemi with all the tips.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Allan,

How can you have owned a F355 for more than one month without launching it yet?

Do you hardly ever drive the F355?

Pete

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ive had the 355 for about a year now, and very rarely drive it. Ive never launched it off the line, but have run up through gears a few times. I drove my 348 much more. Liked it better than the 355.

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    C'mon now, those be fighting words. Why?

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Allan, the plan: beat him with the noise, just make sure you rev it to 85 in every gear, i honestly believe hell just quit from the tubi noise! hehehehehe.

23. trasus

trasus Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
    Phoenix, Az.
    I've done a few (read: too many) launches in F355s. There are basically 2 ways to do it:
    1) While you're staging, waiting for the signal, hold the tach right at 4K RPM. If you have harder tires on it, shoot for 3800. Dump the clutch, feel the slight wheelspin, then them catching, finally on the gas, right to the floor. Don't run 1st gear past 6800 RPM, get into second right away. Method 1 assumes you have great clutch control and fast reaction times.
    2) Skip wheelspin all together, and just take off as usual. Make sure you make quick, clean shifts and you'll still beat any stock mustang except the SVT (the Mach 1 5-speed might get you if driven by a good driver).

Most important!!! Do not get cocky and rush your shifts. It's very easy to miss them in a 355 if you don't make a concerted effort to time them well with your clutching. There's also nothing more embarassing than GRINDING the gears in your F355.

Good luck! Be glad you aren't racing my sleeper Mustang (see my other post today).

24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Kick his butt Allan, I think we have gone through the scenarios here too much, take the car out and see what your best method is.

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Everytime I see someone who wants to drag race me in my ferrari makes me laugh, first my car is worth so many times more than the mustang that I could buy a different mustang for every day of the week. Second any idiot can go fast in a straight line. Third a mustang or any other non exotic car it is still a not exotic common cheap machine. Fourth they envy ferrari owners and their women know it.
    I just love how a ferrari "breaks the girlfriends necks" of the guys driving mustangs, vettes, ricers, etc. and giving one looks of desire right in front of their faces.