355 race | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 race

Discussion in '348/355' started by allanlambo, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sammycasey

sammycasey Guest

Feb 25, 2004
    What makes me laugh is that your 328gts, Testarossa, and '76 308gtb that cost "so many times more" will probably lose to a mustang every day of the week.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh, I would LOVE to see a rustang keep up with a TR up to 180+mph

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Don't you get it yet? Nobody cares!

Gary

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I agree on many aspects. I feel a car has to perform as good as it looks. I dont want some guy in a 20K Mustang blowing my doors off. As for a Mustang running a TR, youd be suprised. He may not get to 180mph, id bet off the line a stock Mach 1, would eat a TR for lunch. When i had my old 89 Greenwood Corvette, it ran a 13.90@ 99mph. It was a pig. It was also automatic. My buddy had a yellow 88 TR, and we would race repeatedly. From a dead stop, it would take him to about 120mph to catch me, and from a 30mph roll, i could hold him to 100mph. A new Mach 1 is much faster than my old Vette.

I did have one race in my 355 in Scottsdale with a Mustang. It was an old style 88 with a trunk, which was the fastest and lightest in its time. I dont know what motor work he had done, but it sounded very cammy, had a full rollcage and was loud. I remember when we went, i tried to get him to go from 30mph, figuring he'd have to shift to 2nd immediately. Unfortunately he had 1/4 gears and was already in second, so my thoughts of pulling a lead were put to rest. By the time i shifted to 3rd he was already in 4th. We were pretty much dead even till i went to shift to 4th and he pulled about 1 car length on me. I wasnt happy. He was. I wanted to get his attention to pull over, but he turned off. I had the top down in the 355, so i figured with it up, i could make up the difference. I never did get to run into him again. Wished i was in the Diablo.

In the Diablo i raced a newer Mustang that was supercharged. Car was fast. We went 1st gear roll, 30 mph (perfect for me). I immediately put a car and half on him before i had to shift. Through 3rd gear, i had only brought that lead out by another 1/2 a car. Im sure i would of really started to pull after that, but in the 1/4 mile it would of been very close from a dead stop. At the light he was cool, saying i had to admit that he did pretty well for a 30,000 car. I admitted it, saying that that my car wasnt made for drag racing and lets go on the highway. He declined. Wish id of had my nitrous on that day.

Anyway, i spoke to the Mustang driver yesterday, and he definately thinks hes going to win. Trying to set something up, but its raining here daily. I cant even go practice launching the car.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    OBDIO-I ECUs allow a richer mixture, a less restrictive intake, and an less restrictive exhaust.

6. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Don't dump the clutch. You don't want to shock the tires with a sudden jolt of power through the drivetrain and make them spin, you want to slip it (fairly quick in a Ferrari so as not to bog) come in with the gas a bit quicker than you're letting out on the clutch. Just takes practice. I find it kind of funny that launching a F355 can be so bad for the car. Isn't it built for performance? I would hope that the drivetrain of a F355 could take more abuse than the drivetrain of a $20k Stang. (but it IS a track car, not a drag car)

With the Mach 1 being an auto, he will have to do what is called "powerbraking". He will hold the brake, come in with the gas to hold the RPM at ~1500 or so then will release the brake and come in with the gas. Auto's are capable of very consistent and quick launches, but once he get's going, the Ford auto will be slow and soft shifting.

I am confident that you will take him in the 1/4 and on.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The issue at hand is TQ, the big cube motors have TQ down low in the RPM band, so they can spin the tires at 2,000 RPMs from pure TQ overcoming pure weight on the tires; that is no/low clutch slipping. At 2,000 RPMs they are only making 1/3rd peak HP (RPMs are low) so the amount of heat disipated in the clutch is rather low.

In the F355 by launching near peak TQ (4,000) you are already at 1/2 peak HP so the clutch is being heated by a lot more heat than the big cube engine.

So, given the same engine power, a big cube engine can launch with lower stress on the clutch than a small cube motor of equal power. Counterintuitive!

8. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Good point :)

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Just a thought, but slipping the clutch at 4000+ rpm and full power is the best way I know of to ruin it. Better to dump the clutch, the tire spin you get depends on the rpm. It will PROBABLY spin at 4k, but drag strips are generally much stickier the street pavement. If the spin is excessive, just ease out of the throttle a bit, just enough to get it biting again. Don't let the revs drop though, if it grabs your all done, the first 60 feet are everything. Also about 8 psi in the tires, as much as 12 8 scares you, but with street tires 8 works pretty well, and will cut as much as .5 second off your time. If you've never launched it hard before, you really should try it a few times before you get to the strip, it makes a difference.

10. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I call BS on this thread. I already know the result. Said mustang is bone stock, but no matter the launch rpm on the 355( "I tried launching at different rpms") the stang whooped my ass EVERY time. LOL
    Allen is tongue in cheek as we reply.
    Matt

11. I still say the 355 will take him no problem, If he still wants to run take em on with the diablo and give him a car lengths head start that will surly make his stang feel fast when he see's a white monster pass him up.

12. MITengineer

MITengineer Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Montana
    allenlambo if its stock (the mustang) you should have him little problems. But the whole comment about driving in a straight line is B.S. is not true. Depending on how you launch, shift times, missing shifts, powerbraking, you're 1/4 Et's can vary by more than a second. A poorly launched Ferrari 355 may not have enough low end torque to make up for a bad launch, whereas the Mustang's 4.6 will not only launch well from a powerbrake, but also shift consistently. Practice the launches, (don't bother heating up tires, it won't matter unless you run slicks, and launching a Ferrari with slicks from a clutch drop could be fatal). And for under 5,000 dollars in aftermarket goodies that Mach 1 may destroy you in the 1/4. (Even though its chassis dates from the Carter administration and the convertible has the rigidity of a wet noodle)

As a sidenote, there's no need to insult other's cars, everyone would love to have their dreamcar for one reason or another may have to compromise. I have a Replicar Cobra with a Supercharged and heavily modded Mustang 5.0 that I love just as dearly as any Ferrari, and it runs 10's in E.T.s without NOS and is driven daily.

13. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    haha, film this race dude. Why don't you just casually take off so there is no error at all on the launch and that way you will be sure that you have the tires gripped so you can just stomp it and smoke his ass. Either way, crazy launch or not you should win.

14. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    8 psi ?! LOL. You don't even run that with slicks or drag radials. Just run a few PSI under what you usually run on the street. Lowering the tire pressure in street tires doesn't do a whole lot of good because it is the flexibility of the sidewalls that really make a tire grip the road in a straight line. I would imagine that the low profile tires you have on the F355 have quite a stiff sidewall. Don't dump your clutch, slip it. Dumping a clutch puts a lot more stress on it than slipping it. That's how a lot of people blow their clutches up, not by slipping. If you don't hook when you dump it then you're fine, but if you hook hard with a 4k clutch drop, that's not very nice on the transmission. I'm pretty sure you will just spin and then bog if you dump the clutch like that, then you'll have to get out of that hole in the low RPMs and he will have put about a car on you in the first 100 ft or so. Your clutch isn't just going to die if you slip it this one time. If it does, then that's pretty sad.

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My old engine was making 304 rwhp, so about 20 less than Allan thinks his car is making, they should act pretty similar, I was launching it between 4000 and 4500 depending on conditions, I did probably well over 100 launches with no problems. Slipping the clutch it the fastest way to leave the line and almost all drag cars are doing it these day. BUT they are doing it with slipper clutches that use either carbon-carbon or ceramic parts. I just installed a carbon-carbon to try, the ceramic is quite a bit cheaper, but I've never seen one suitable for street use (although I think I read the porsche has one). I seriously doubt that a stock ferrari organic clutch has many more than half a dozen slip launches in it. The problem as mensioned earlier, larger displacement engine make more torque and leave the line at much lower rpm, so there is much less heat generated by slipping the clutch. At 4000 rpm, I would give the clutch no more than 30 seconds of slip time before replacement. A kevlar clutch (like the one I just ruined) will not tolerate even 1 launch if it is slipping, it doesn't melt, but glazes the pressure plate and flywheel so it won't hold motor torque any longer.

Yes, I do run 8 psi at the strip with street tires. It is .2 seconds faster than 12 psi and .5 seconds faster than street pressure, although that may vary with tire brand though. I'm just telling you what works on a ferrari.

16. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Good points about the different types of clutch material etc. I was wrong, doh! :) What kind of tire/what are the dimensions? I know in my 275/40/17's that 8 psi would make mine look nearly flat. That's awesome though that you have had quite a bit of experience at the strip with the Ferrari.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think we are all getting very carried here. The Ferrari will blow him away without a problem. Should be an obliteration. I doubt he even knows how to powerbrake.

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What's with these posts on proposed races - I just want to see the results! Not pages of bench racing.

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    WHEN IS THE FU*CING RACE ALREADY???? Too much advice, too little tire squeal. Make an MPEG and share.

Ken

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's pretty obvious that allen will purposely throw the race just so that he can come online and rave about what an old heap of crap a ferrari is and how much he wishes he'd been driving his lambo.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

The funny thing is that I own a brand new P C4s (factory specs claims 0-62 in 5.1 seconds and we all know that porsche always tend to be conservative when publishing 0-60 or 0-62), and my Testarossa is faster off the line and at over a hundred the Porsche stands no chance, but then again I can do wonders in the track with it that I can't do with the TR. By the way I don't care about street racing or 1/4 mile races, any idiot can go pedal to the metal in a straight line, theres no real skill. And if I cared then I would be running a 1,200 hp, twin turbo and supercharged Testarossa by Koenig anyways!!! Eat some pizza and try to relax.

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

A '88 vette was 0-100 in 16.4 seconds and a '88 TR did it in the 10s, I think it was 10.9, anyways the 1/4 mile is a easy 13.3. I think you had a slow TR or something was a little off.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    If youd of read the post, my Vette ran a 13.90@99mph. So it ran around 14 seconds to 100mph. I have plenty of experience with a TR, including having owned one myself. They are dogs below 100mph.

24. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. Either that, or you never learned how to drive your TR. Sorry. Its true.

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, i do know what im talking about. You and i may just have different opinions on what is fast.