355 Rear Shocks | FerrariChat

355 Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by papaleo1, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Here we go again. Had my 355B in for service today, routine fluids and filters. They told me that I need rear shocks and actuators. I walked over to the parts department and found out that the shocks are $940 EACH, the actuators are $740
    EACH and new bushings are $100 each!

OK, we know these cars are expensive to own and operate, but this is nuts. The rear shock replacement job on the car is going to exceed $4000!!

I almost walked over the to sales department to inform them that my car was officially for sale. Thankfully, I didn't, took her out on the open road, and suddenly forgot the bad news!

Sodacoms has the actuators for nearly 50% less.
    Any suggestions for the shocks??

Thanks for your help.

2. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    I got actuators from [email protected] (I think). Used, but $200 each with a 90 day warranty. Have you checked the actuators yourself .. it's easy. Pop each one off ... turn the ignition on .. and the female portion of the actuator should turn one way then the other, and come to rest ~ mid way. Takes 2 minutes.

Michael Rozenstraten is the fella .... [[email protected]]

Also check the archives for a source to rebuild the shocks .... I saw it about a week ago.

Pete

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I had a similar situation with my 355 spider... I ended up having the 2 of the shocks rebuilt ... There are a few places that will do it - it will take a few weeks - but you will save 2/3 dollars - and they will be like new...

Just a thought.

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  5. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Thanks for the information, guys, that's really great news! That's a realisitic solution to this. . . $4k for shocks is just insane.

I logged onto their site to find out if they have a core return program. I am going to check the actuators this morning before I order new ones.

Thanks for you help.

6. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Eurospares have 355 shocks (with springs) in stock at 200GBP per side. Not sure if theyhave the actuators in stock

www.eurospares.co.uk

7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    A core program would be an excellent idea and ask him about it, as I don't think he currently does.

I just needed 1 rear and he said it was around $250 to rebuild and needs about 10 working days. Could not handle the down time, so I bought a new one...but..I kept the old one and will send it off to him for rebuilding to have a back up. In my case, the shock was fine but the rod that goes into the actuator broke and would spin freely.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Thanks for thinking of my company gentlemen.

Yes, I am working on building up inventory for "core exchange". However, the various models do have different damping characteristics, one size does not fit all.

Turn-aroud time can be as little as one day, not including shipping time, which is what I quoted Lou. Broken parts is a different issue.

BTW, Ferrari Chat members receive $50 credit toward next day return shipping charges for sets of four, which in many cases is the entire shipping cost. Please mention user name at time of order.

I do have a dealer program for service facilities, too.

Thanks again :)

Rob Schermerhorn

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Lou - You have mail. I was out of town a few days participating in a major Concours up north.
    Frank